Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year's Day 2020

I had told Johnny and Vickie last night that I planned to stay in bed all day today - Johnny had given me a box of books about Shakespeare last night so I thought I might read some today while I was listening to the records of Shakespeare's plays that Johnny had given me and Jody. But, when I woke up at 8 am, it was so bright and sunny that I couldn't stay in bed. So I watched the London New Year parade as I ate breakfast and cleaned up the kitchen.  After taking a shower, I picked up a few things outside - it was in the 40s, but there was a cold breeze. I took a drive into Falmouth about 3 pm - the beaches were quiet - the people who were out walking were well bundled up - there were quite a few people around up town. I stopped at the harbor - I thought it might be warmer than the Heights Beach. The breeze was very cold despite a turtleneck, heavy sweatshirt, and a winter jacket. I made one loop - the fresh air was cold, but it felt so good to be out! I used to try to walk daily - Johnny Murphy would always be on to me about being entitled to a lunch break - so we would drive in about 3 or 4 o'clock - I would walk around the harbor while he talked to anyone who was there - then  I would go back to work. Since Johnny died, I would keep putting off  a walk - after the next phone call, after I document this call - until it was either time to quit work or more recently until it was dark. So I love being outside on a sunny day.



As I sat in the car warming up, Mike Leary called from Kenmare to see how I was. We decided to go ahead with the renovations - he said it would take 2-3 months to get planning permission. We talked about the architects - I decided to go with the lower estimate - Denis O'Leary. Mike said he had worked with him once, and he was a decent guy. The difference in price was considerable for the same work.  I had wanted the other architect because he lived nearby and knows us - but euros are euros - and a couple thousand euros are a lot now that I am on a budget!! They would furnish a couple of bedrooms!
I sat at the harbor for a while longer - what a change from the summer when it is full of boats - there are 2 sailboats in the harbor today. There is no one walking or parked here. I like the solitude but do miss talking to the other walkers. Tomorrow is supposed to be the same weather I think. So I will get my long winter coat and try walking at the Heights.
I ran into Stop and Shop because I forgot to get lettuce for salad yesterday. I came home and decided to make veg stir fry and some fish. I usually buy haddock but they only had cod yesterday. I had forgotten that cod has no taste to it. I just fried it and ate it with the stir fry and some rice - stir fry was good - the cod was just okay. I don't really like farm raised salmon, but think I might have to try it again. I've had real salmon in Sneem, Seattle and Alaska so it is hard to settle for farm raised.
Dan had texted me this morning that the font was off in the blog posts that I made last night. I spent a couple of hours trying to fix them, but gave up and was checking British Parliament Papers for any information on Mary Curran - Johnny's great grandmother who was evicted from Gortdromagh. I am trying to get information about Gortdromagh together so I can write a little explanation about it and hang it in the old house with her picture.
Beth called me to tell me that she spoke with her nephew in Rome. She said he is very excited that we are coming and that they will get us tickets for the Scavi Tours in the Vatican. They will also pick us up at the airport or send a car for us. Beth said that the chef that her nephew and niece know is a lot of fun and that they both will come with us to the the cooking lesson. Her niece has a list of places that other visitors were interested in seeing and will email it to us. I told Beth that I have been to Rome at least twice and saw a lot the last time I was there - she needs to do some research and figure out what she wants to see. I would like to do the Scavi Tour and see the Borghese Museum which I haven't seen.
Beth was saying that her nephew asked if we wanted to see anything outside Rome - Beth said that she told him that we didn't have enough time. So we decided to extend our trip. We were only going for 2 weeks because I was working and was covering a co-worker's vacation - oh god, I never thought of that when I retired! - until Friday March 13th. We are scheduled to leave Saturday March 14 and come home Sunday March 29 after a week in Rome and a week in Sneem. Beth is hosting a family Easter  party so we decided to go sooner. I already know it costs $150 to change one direction of a flight on Aer Lingus plus the difference in the price of tickets. I checked and to go a week or two earlier is no extra cost because the ticket is cheaper than what we paid. Some days only have 4 or 5 seats left so Beth needs to check quickly with her nephew to see if it they can put us up longer than a week.
I am feeling excited now about this trip - especially since I had to cancel my trip to Ireland.
I said to Beth that if those blood tests were just a fluke, I am still thinking that I am not going to have the hip revision - I just don't have a good feeling about it.
So now I am going to pull out my Rome guidebooks!






No comments:

Post a Comment