Wednesday, August 3, 2022

October 1942 -Transfer to Jacksonville, Hannie at Camp Edward, some unpleasant entries

There are only a couple of letters from October 1942 so I am including them all.

"October 1, 1942

Newport RI

Dear Ellen, 

Thanks for your letter and card. I liked and appreciated it immensely. How is your new job, a bookkeeper, well ain't that something. I hope you make out OK in the Gordon joint. Get that joint stuff. I got a letter from Rita O'Hara today and she told me all about you and accepted either you or me or both of us in the lonely hearts club. She told me about Joe Thibeault's asking for me and him having all the tough breaks. Hunha!! Chickie Ryan is at Mitchell Field down in Long Island, N.Y. What a break he got. I got another letter from my pal in Florida and he gives me more tips. He wrote me a seven page letter and he has blood poisoning in his writing arm. That reminds me I got a 14 cc anti tetanus shot this afternoon and my arm is getting stiff as all h---. We have Captain's inspection again tomorrow even with our sore arms. Brother that's going to be an ordeal if ever there was one. Four governors will review us as we pass in review. 

Concerning your previous letter I miss you terribly & I am dying to get home - when I do watch out kid - I haven't seen over five women since I've been here. I miss you a lot no kidding and I love you as much as ever. Concerning those moons I had extra detail one night & got a glimpse of it. The next night I had guard duty from 12-2 in the morning. I did see it. Memories - Oh man

Got to go now---------

Love 

John"






I did try to look up the Gordon Supply Company but couldn't find anything about it. I'm not sure where it was even located - Watertown? Waltham? Newton? I didn't see it in any directories. And my mother wasn't listed in the 1942 Watertown Directory - only Jim and Ma.



I also tried to look up Chickie Ryan on www.ancestry.com for a WWII draft registration, but there were too many Ryans and I don't know his first name. 

Aside: When I was searching for WWII draft registrations, I was surprised to find a 1929 WWI Mothers' Pilgrimage for Gold Star Mothers. I had never seen this kind of document before. A Mrs Mary H Ryan of 20 Idaho Street in Mattapan was listed - this caught my attention because my Uncle Joe Manning lived on Idaho Street much later, and the name sounds very familiar. This is such a small neighborhood that my grandfather on Cedar Street probably knew Mrs Ryan if she remained in the neighborhood. Mrs Ryan's son was Corporal Thomas A Ryan of Company D, 101st Infantry - he was buried in Oise-Aisne American Cemetery. Mrs Ryan did not desire a pilgrimage to the cemetery which is located in Seringes-et-Nesles, France.

The cemetery contains the remains of 6012 American War dead, most of whom lost their lives fighting in this area in 1918 during WWI. I know I've often thought of the graves in Normandy from WWII and would like to visit them, and I have visited the war memorials in Washington, DC, but I, honestly, never thought about military graves from WWI. After seeing this Gold Mother listing, I'm adding Oise-Aisne American Cemetery to my bucket list.



Seringes-et-Nesles where the American Cemetery is located is the red icon below.




"October 2, 1942

Newport, RI

Dear Ellen

I just returned from Captain's inspection and my dogs are killing me. We were reviewed by four governors and an admiral and had to wait two hours for the dignitaries to arrive. What a wait. We almost keeled over from standing in one position for so long. Everyone was cursing them up and down for the delay. When they finally arrived everyone gave out a sigh of relief and we passed in review. We left our barracks at 8:30 and got back in time for chow at 11:30. Everyone here is either sitting or lying down, Boy are they pooped and I mean pooped. I went to the movies here last night and saw 'Crossroads' with William Powell and Hedy LaMarr. It wasn't a bad show but all the fellows here sort of liked Hedy in fact they really did like her. My arm is coming around OK and the stiffness is beginning to leave. I said (in) beginning we all thought it would be stiff as a board but it wasn't half bad at all.

Well everyone here is counting the days before we go home and it can't arrive too soon. I am waiting to get home to see you especially, as my section of the town is dead from what I have heard.  A couple of my fellow bunkies joined the submarine duty. They are a real bunch of fellows these guys in the subs and have to be able to take it. They have a special exam, physical, to determine their physical fitness. They must also be able to hold their breath for fifty five seconds, a primary requisite. If they pass everything but the breath holding exam they are dropped and rejected.

Most of the boys here have colds and are eating cough drops by the carload. In our barracks as I said before there are 14 of us and every day the kid gets 14 packages of cough drops at the Canteen. We were supposed to have an inspection yesterday but nothing happened. I am hoping we don't do any marching or exercising this afternoon or it will kill me, I think. I am listening to Singing Sam sing a couple of sentimental ballads: 'If all my dreams were made of Gold I'd buy the world for you' as I write this letter to you. Yesterday and the day before we listened in part to the World Series and every one here enjoyed it immensely. We have a sort of quartet here, we sing to amuse ourselves which ain't such a bad reason, is it. We sing all the old favorites and new ones too. Since nothing very important is happening here, and since I do not wish for your sake to bore you with repetition I shall close now with lotions of love and honey and such if you know what I mean ----- Take it slow - Love

John"






Crossroads was released in 1942.




Singin' Sam started out in vaudeville and began in radio in the 1930s. He was associated with commercials for Barbasol and Coca Cola.



The St Louis Cardinals beat the New York Yankees to win the 1942 World Series 4-1.
My father said that they listened to the game on September 30 when the Yankees won 7-4 and on October 1 the Cardinals won 4-3.







"October 5 1942

Newport RI

Dear Ellen

Good news kid - I am going home Monday and this is official kid, no fooling. This has been the day I have been looking forward to since Sept 4.

Please control yourself honey I have a week yet. I will be home with bells on and flying too. Be in good condition because I will practice some judo on you and teach you self defense, that will help you no end. If you learn this and I think you will, you will never have to fear mashers or wise guys. It takes no brain work to learn and master just a little practice and a cool head. In case some night I get fresh you will know what to do. Don't get the wrong idea. You call me fresh if I look at you cock-eyed. If Hannie gets mad at you, you can make her say uncle in less than a second without any danger to yourself. Its great stuff but it can also be dangerous. It is the new dirty fighting tactics of our armed forces and it's quite the stuff. So never fear, do a few deep knee bends, arm exercises and touch the floor a few times to get into condition.

No kidding I am trying to dramatize what I will do when I see you but I just can't figure it out. It's a puzzle but I shall wait the moment and poppo I'll have it, it's always like that ain't it or is it or ------nevermind.

We had to get up at 5:00 this morning to scrub our hammocks and sea bags, it wasn't hard but we didn't like the idea. We have a medical lecture this week and a few more for general information. Half the fellows fall asleep during them and the officer cracks jokes to keep them awake. Some are good, some are lousy, the jokes I mean. Maybe I need some ink. We get paid Saturday. - O BOY - the longest pay wait I ever had, but I must learn economy if I am to survive or something. Our cursing box has reached the unheralded sum of five semoleons, five smackeroos, a finif - man alive everyone here, not me, will be blotto when they reach Boston or they will be dead sober - one of the two. The boys hear got the names & addresses of 12 nurses in Lynn and have struck up correspondence with them. If you get the chance, please get some one you know to write a mushy gooey letter to James Gilman McLoud  M 2/c  Co 475  NTS Newport RI. He's a red head, a good sense of humor. He's short and wiry 34 years of age and a hunter in his spare time. He does a lot of fishing thru Maine during the summer and winter taking as much as a month or more to do so. He was a sheet metal worker before he came in. He beat the draft by about  six hours. A swell guy. His mother sends us cookies and candy all home made. Make it really mushy and I mean mushy. We'll all get a kick out of it.

Love Love Love Love Love Love and more Love

John"






Oh my goodness! I found the correct guy on www.ancestry.com - James Gilman McLoud! And I hadn't read this letter! His mother was Mary McLoud - and she was not young - she was a 66 year old widow in 1940. God bless her for making and sending cookies and candy.


"Honeychile, thanks a million for the nuts - they were really swell no kidding. I passed them around a couple of times and presto, chango an empty box. Please send no more - save them for me when I get home.

Thanx a million from all of us.

Igloo - 22

John"





 


There was a pause in the letters while my father was home on leave.


"Jacksonville Flo

Oct 21 1942

Dear Ellen

I have arrived here at last and am writing from the railroad station. I have not gone to the air station as yet due chiefly to the fact that I have 36 hours liberty left. I met a buddy at South Station and rode down with him. We dropped off in New York overnight and had a pretty good time. We toured the town and as I don't drink I didn't. I had a world of opportunity though. My buddy wanted a couple of brews or ales to you and we dropped into a joint off Times Square. It cost me 20 for a coke and he had two ales for a dime. Sometimes righteousness (please note) just don't pay. He went out later and met a few of Winchell's characters, show people, and had all he wanted to drink for no. I dropped into the Stage Door Canteen, had coffee cake and sandwiches for no and then enjoyed the entertainment real good. They had some guy I think his name was Gene Krupa shooting the works on the drums as well as his whole orchestra. They were really good no fooling. Anita O'Dea, Roy Eberle and Roy Eldridge his colored trumpeter really gave out for us. I struck up an acquaintance with a lad from the state of sunshine and good looks, California, and he told me all about it. Irene Berdoni (sp) of Louisiana Purchase gave out the cigarettes and Mrs Lou Gehrig and Ed Barrows of the Yankees dropped in and wished us well. Later in the evening a gang of the boys from Krupa's, Harry James, Stan Kenton, and the other bands dropped in and we had a jam session. There were three of us sitting in a corner blowing the gab and this woman, middle aged and a good egg, introduced us to a hostess. She appeared to be a Portugese or Spanish and she was nice looking. We gabbed for a while and two ambulance drivers, 400 stuff, dropped in and she dropped out with them. We didn't mind though we felt a lot better talking to ourselves. We stayed at the Maryland overnight and took the noon train to Florida. My buddy said I slept all the way but I saw plenty. Tell you about it when I write again.

Love and more love,

John"








There is a band that plays sometimes in Falmouth called the Stage Door Canteen - it is like the big bands that played during the 1940s - with a great wind section. So when I read my father's letter mentioning the Stage Door Canteen near Times Square, I wanted to learn more so I am including a blurb about it from https://secretsofmanhattan.wordpress.com/2017/11/08/the-stage-door-canteen-at-216-west-44th-street/

"The American Theatre Wing, the organization that hosts the Tonys, was founded in 1940 by Rachel Crothers, Minnie Dupree, and Josephine Hull as the American Theatre Wing of Allied Relief, designed to rally theater workers to aid the British War effort. With the attack on Pearl Harbor, their attention turned to supporting the troops right here in New York City. The trio decided to create a free cabaret and supper club for soldiers on leave called the Stage Door Canteen, completely staffed by the Broadway community. It would be “the pool into which the entertainment world will pour its gifts for the men who are going to fight for us.”


"The entire operation was on a volunteer basis (the only paid employees were a janitor and a dishwaser.) Theater owner Lee Shubert gave the American Theater Wing use of the basement of the 44th Street Theater free of charge. Union carpenters and electricians fixed up the space pro bono. Grocery chains donated the food and drink. There was no alcohol (a sign above the entrance said “No liquor, but damned good anyway”), but there was always plenty of  fresh milk, juice, and coffee. The biggest draw would be the brightest stars of film and theater who came to volunteer as stage performers, wait staff, and hosts and hostesses.


"The Stage Door Canteen opened on March 2nd, 1942. It was open 7 nights a week, from 6 p.m. to midnight. The Canteen could fit 500 people at a time, but even that wasn’t enough to match its popularity. A ticket system had to be introduced so people could come in shifts, turning over 2,000 servicemen a night. “Probably nobody knows how many service men poured in to the free supper club that has opened under the auspices of the American Theatre Wing,” wrote the New York Times, “for at 10:30 more were coming in and only a few were going out.” Tallulah Bankhead performed on opening night, leading the entire house in a congo line. Later years would find Helen Hayes greeting men at the door, Katherine Hepburn fixing sandwiches, and Bettie Davis pouring coffee. To supplement the stars, 600 women acted as hostesses, doling out pie and dancing the jitterbug with servicemen. Their uniforms were red-white-and-blue aprons with a pair of sterling silver wings pinned on the strap; appropriately, American Theatre wings.

"According to the National WWII Museum, the Stage Door Canteen served a nightly average of “2000 sandwiches, 3000 slices of cake or doughnuts, 1000 half pints of milk, 80 gallons of fruit juice and cider, 25 lbs. of candy, 6 crates of fruit and a whopping 5,000 cigarettes.” The New York Times estimated that the sandwiches “if placed from end to end would stretch from here to Berlin and back if anyone wanted to feed the enemy.” That was nothing compared to the dancing. In 3 years, the hostesses danced 2,184,000 miles, enough to go around the entire world 87 times.


"When the war ended, so did the Stage Door Canteen, after having served over 3 million GIs. The 44th Street Theatre followed in late 1945 when the Astor estate sold the building to the New York Times, who razed the theater to make way for an expanded Annex. Appropriately, the final theatrical production was Leonard Bernstein’s tale of sailors on a 24-hour shore leave, 
On the Town."


See the plaque below on left side the Jekyll Hyde Club



What a great evening in the Stage Door Canteen! I remember being in New York sometime - probably one of the trips to Mama Leone's Italian Restaurant - and walking by a bar with a sign outside advertising Gene Krupa - I knew he was a drummer, but we weren't interested in going in to see him - I seem to remember it seemed rather seedy.

The website - https://jazztimes.com/features/profiles/gene-krupa-in-japan/ - states that the picture below was Gene Krupa in the mid 1940s with the Let's Go USA bass drum head he used during war time. 



http://www.drummerman.net/biography.html states that below is Gene Krupa on drums, Tommy Dorsey on trombone, and Roy Eldridge on trumpet.



The Mayflower Hotel sounded familiar - I have stayed at the hotel of the same name in Washington DC.  The website - https://theclio.com/entry/139322 - explains:

"Commemorated today by a bench on Broadway that bears a small plaque funded as a memorial to the former New York landmark, Hotel Mayflower stood for nearly eight decades at this location before being demolished and replaced by 15 Central Park West. Hotel Mayflower was a 15-story building that stretched between W. 61st and W. 62nd Streets. The structure was one of seven buildings on this street that were designed by the prolific architect Emery Roth between 1926 and 1930. The apartment hotel was constructed in 1926 and overlooked Central Park which is across the street. Hotel Mayflower was listed in the New York and National Registers in 1982, but by that time, the aging, 365-room hotel was being targeted by real estate developers who hoped to demolish the structure. The property was sold to developers in 2004. After spending millions to buy out and relocate the last remaining tenants in rent-controlled apartments on the upper floors, the building was demolished to build the high-rise condominium building that now occupies the space, with the entrance at 15 Central Park West."

Hotel Mayflower in NYC from https://theclio.com/entry/139322


"Ellen control yourself

My dear Miss Hannah Theresa Keohane

A fine How y'all, to you and yo friends from a friend or am I saying too much, from the deep deep South. I like hyar ah mean ah really do. Hot days and cool nights, a beautiful tropical moon, palms swaying what could be more romantic. Of course there are flies, not many and a million mosquitoes, but what are they to romance. To you they should mean plenty as your slender figure could feed them for a few minutes any way. Hannie the girls here a lousy, even tho I go with Ellen I must keep my eyes open, and they are still lousy. The(y) look as though they were brought up on a diet of diets. If they drank ketchup you would think they were thermometers. There ribs look like wash boards and they have legs like cockroaches. I never saw any people like them. Mary, as I wrote to Ellen would be a prize package here, and tell her I said so, she has more flesh on her than 10 natives. 

To get serious for at least a minute, for God's sake Hannie stay clean if it costs you your life, I thought I saw everything but I was just looking in the key hole, comparatively speaking. These girls and all thru the South are diseased and contaminated from head to foot and get as much respect as a louse. We have been warned to do nothing but talk with them which is something I have seen a few examples. The negroes here stink no fooling. We have a Flying Chaplain so if you need a priest in a hurry I'll see what I can do. 

Keep your nose clean and eyes open and remember what I told you. Experience my dear girl experience. 

Your ever loving frand

Johann from the deep South

Don't mind the scribbling my nervous disposition"







I have to admit that I was shocked when I read this letter. That my father could generalize about Southern women like that and use that racial slur were so unlike my father that I had to read and reread it. Where did he get these opinions? My father was 22 - okay he turned 23 on September 11. How much experience with women could he have had? And I think Dorchester/Mattapan was mostly white in the 1920/1930s when he was growing up - most African-Americans lived in the South End and expanded into Roxbury during this time period. So where did he hear that racial slur? I am not completely naive - I know it was a different era - Jim Crow laws were in place in the south. But there was something in the back of my mind about those medical classes my father said he had to attend.

So I did some internet research and this is what I found. The website https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/25/health/wwii-vd-posters-penis-propaganda/index.html had this information.

"You've heard of Rosie the Riveter, the poster gal of World War II, right? She wasn't the only feminine character to make a huge impression on the men in the 1940s military. Meet the shady ladies of venereal disease: the 'Bag of Trouble' poster girl and her friends. They were created courtesy of the U.S. Surgeon General, the U.S. Public Health Service and the Federal Security Agency in the early 1940s and given a modern audience by Ryan Mungia's book 'Protect Yourself: Venereal Disease Posters of World War II.'

"Dubbed 'penis propaganda,' these attractive women were deliberately drawn with deeply etched red lips designed to entice a man into paying attention to something that wasn't talked about openly: sexually transmitted diseases.

"Why was the government entering such covert territory? Because it didn't want history to repeat itself: On any given day during World War I, about 18,000 men were taken out of battle by venereal disease, and it could take a month of treatment before each man was ready to return to the front ...

"While it's true that the introduction of penicillin and sulfa dropped those numbers dramatically by the '40s, the threat was still real and the military didn't want to take any chances. So it commissioned graphic artists to create eye-catching art with a serious message: 'You can't beat the Axis if you get VD.'

"Some posters gave more specific advice. 'Use a rubber, wash with soap and water, take prophylaxis' reads words next to a water faucet and soap: 'These are weapons against syphilis and clap. Use them.''



Likewisehttps://www.startribune.com/health-beat-their-messages-change-but-posters-get-enlisted-in-fight-vs-stds/301161741/ reports that:

"In an era when venereal diseases often led to more disabilities - when penicillin was uncommon and mercury was used to treat syphilis - it was OK to educate the troops with 'facts,' such as a poster indicating that '98 percent of all procurable women have venereal disease.

"Nor did the authorities worry much about gender equity: Posters warned the lads about 'Booby Traps' and 'Good-time Girls,' who apparently were in every dance hall, waiting to undermine the Allied war effort by passing along gonorrhea. Liberties aside, the posters represented a concern about the spread of VDs - known these days as STDs - and the importance of public messaging to prevent them."






Quite frankly, I find these posters offensive, but I can see their message in my father's words. And I'm not saying my father didn't learn racial slurs in Boston - perhaps he did - but I think he probably heard more of them in the Navy from other enlistees. And maybe from officers. And I know that the military was segregated during this period. 


"Please write soon

October 28 1942

Guess where!

Dear Ellen

I am writing this letter to you undercover as I am in a study room and I must or I should study my code and blinker. Since I am having 18 weeks of it I figure I can let one night slip but I cannot afford to make a habit of it. I have not as yet received mail from either you or my folks home but I got three letters forwarded to me from Newport written by friends in the army.

Everything is swell here and I am making a do or die effort to succeed. Parts of the course are tough but parts are easy. They are all essential to my own betterment  and I will not graduate unless or until I pass everyone of them. The blinker code seems to hit the majority of the classes as the toughest and at graduation if I do not pass the test you remain here until you are able to do it. It is simply the learning of the Morse code and reading it as it is transmitted by short flashes (dot) and long flashes (dashes) in light by an electric light bulb. After watching the bulb for a while you get bleary eyed and it looks like one big flash. My course consists of a mechanical drawing; blueprint making and reading which is easy so far. Then to mathematics: fractions, sq roots cubics and such. I then get two periods of shop - good stuff then supper. The second half begins right after chow - 7:00 beginning with Basic related metals - metals their make up & use in structure followed by a period in navy regulations which is important and requires a lot of study and finally blinker. We have in all seven periods. We start at 2 pm and finish at 10 pm. Taps is at 10:30. We get up at 6:30 AM dress wash and muster by 7:30 eat return scrub study  and fall in by 9:00 for drill until l0. After 10 we study for all subjects clean our clothes & stuff and eat chow at 1:00.

I should have put this first but, I'm sorry but I didn't forget. How are you kid? Don't get excited or nervous or such. RELAX. I wish I could be around but it's impossible. We have captain's inspection Sunday and my blues are at the cleansers. I may get them back I don't know. If I don't get them ----well -----.

Please write as soon as possible or as often as time allows. If I can't drop you a letter I'll drop you a card to keep up your morale. I have been drilling my section but have been relieved of my duties and am I grateful. I was afraid I'd loose my singing? voice which I will need later for better purposes. The days here are hot, the sun out the nights are cold as ---------. Some of the boys wore long drawers woolen caps gloves and two blankets. REBELS only. I don't mind the cold but the sudden change sorts of shocks you. How is the weather up there anyway? I bought about 25 post cards and sent them to every one I know. Did you see Hannie's & Mary's card? SPECIAL. I think I sent you one too. We have been moving around from section to section and what a pain in the ----. Disgusts you too! I don't blame you.   

If the girls thought the cards were risqué or such they can always reprimand me by blasting me apart in a nice long juicy letter any one of these days.

I shall close for now as I must sleep or such.

Love and more love to you.  > Ora pro vostris.< Latin.

Love & keep your chin up

John"     







Ora pro in Latin means "pray for" - vostris means "your" - was my father trying to say he was praying for my mother? 


The website https://d2y1pz2y630308.cloudfront.net/17632/documents/2021/3/Maggie_K.pdf explains that: 

"Morse code is a script made up of a series of dashes and dots, or “dits and dahs” as Morse Code is to be listened to. The sequence of these symbols and sounds creates letters, numbers, and punctuation that are later formed into messages; or codes! Morse code was used to send and receive secret messages during wars to get an upper hand on their opponents. ..

Blinker lights Morse code is where a soldier would manually flash large blinker lights from ship to ship across the Pacific and Atlantic Ocean. They would do this by turning the blinker light on and off in a specific sequence of events, and for certain durations to signify the symbols that they wished to portray in order to form messages to communicate with their allies. This was critical to do so the soldiers could coordinate their plans with each other to give them and their allies the best chance possible to win the war. This style of Morse code is the most difficult Morse code to understand, because the flashing lights could be easily misinterpreted, especially under the stress of being at war."

The website - https://www.nps.gov/features/safr/feat0001/virtualships/vrmovies/muvr2hs6.htm - goes on with this information:

The use of lights aboard ships began in the 16th century, when lanterns were placed on the sterns of Spanish and Dutch galleons sailing in large fleets. The lights kept the fleet together and prevented collisions. By the mid-19th century, red and green running lights and white bow lights were adopted to prevent collision.

The use of lights for spelling out messages in Morse code dates back to 1867. With the advent of electric lights in the 1890s, the "blinker light" became an effective tool for signaling. Most widely used by naval ships, blinker lights were essential for merchant ships sailing in wartime convoys and observing radio silence. Blinker has remained a useful backup for merchant vessels, and until the late 1980s deck officers were trained in its use. Usually however, blinker work was done by the Radio Officer.

Above: Blinker was used on World War II convoys to preserve radio silence. Photo courtesy U.S. Naval Institute. 

 
A Navy signalman flashes blinker. U.S. Navy Photo.

I don't know what kind of blinker light my father was training on but https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/artifacts/signal--radio--and-communications/signal-light-gun.html describes a gun type blinker.

"The gun type signal light, also called a blinker tube or signal gun, was one of the nighttime communication tools available to ships during World War II. It is a smaller, more portable version of the ship-mounted searchlight. Its smaller size meant that it would take up less room on smaller vessels, such as patrol boats (PT), and could be easily transported by landing parties while going ashore. The shoulder-mounted design made it easier to aim at the target and offered a more discreet light beam than the shipboard search light. It could be directly aimed and focused via the aperture thus concealing the signal and position of the ship sending the signal. Signal lights could be used when radio silence was being observed or there was the possibility of intercept by an enemy outpost.


Photo #: NH 106277  &quot;A night signal gun&quot;

Like other shipboard visual communication systems, this method used the international Morse alphabet to communicate messages. Morse code is defined by a series of dots and dashes. On the blinker tube, a pull of the trigger will turn on the light. A quick pull on the trigger would simulate a dot and a longer pull would simulate a dash. The tab with the pinhole and glass on the rear of the tube would allow the Signalman using the light to see the light as he pulled the trigger."



"October 31, 1942

You know where

Dear Ellen

That puzzling couldn't be "Dear Mom" by any chance. Every time I open a letter I get the same thought. Two great minds usually run in the same channel.

Incidentally I received two letters from you today. They were dated 28 & 30. All week long I was worrying as to whether you broke your arm or something and couldn't write. Now every thing is square from my point of view. I haven't a whole evening to spend as you did, only a few minutes here and a few minutes there. No letter, honeychile, that I receive from you is boring as I look forward to it all day long, and I read it over and over and over. I can practically recall them word for word until I receive your next one. Those cards I sent to Jim and Hannie, you and Mary were mild compared to others that I had in my possession, but my dignity would not allow me to send them to you. You would have blushed and blushed. As for Hannie let her not take it too hard as it will be valuable experience to her. She will meet girls from all sections and all classes, which in itself is a valuable education. If she is worrying about the soldiers, their good and bad points never fear. If the army is run like the navy curt reprimands are given those who slip off the track. Keep clean and use your head if in contact. Those men are confined in a way, and when given the opportunity may attempt anything. Walk the line between sociability and friendliness. Be friendly but don't get familiar. (words of wisdom - of a sort.) Hannie will learn fast after she gets around and this experience will do her good. She will be on her own & will be well treated as long as she minds her affairs and keeps her head. Don't do anything foolish -----

From now on Ellen you may refer to me as Judge Tony the advisor of ------.  She should like it but again she may not. Outside Edwards is dead as a doornail. As for you your schooling will take care of a few hours any way and you do something you like the other nights. - got to go to class be back 10:00 PM.

Back again - As for Joe I wish him luck you can never tell, and tell him to tell his friends I wish them luck too. Why that question mark (man?).

Ellen, I believe you over anyone else on earth, but circumstances here, conversation and events cause crazy notions to run through your brain. I didn't mean I doubted you,I didn't even think of that believe me. I love you and I want you and with you the feelings are mutual.

As for honeymoon, you name it.

For Rita O'Hara's case of faith and confidence in me I don't know in  the least bit what caused the most sudden change. From what you say she is my number two rooter. Incidentally my mother got a letter from John O'Hara in London England.

Those brats may grow out sometime soon I hope or maybe mayhem will be committed around the estate one of these day. But control yourself use psychology on them. - Heh - Heh -

Tell Hannie I'll send her a conditioning exercise that will take all kinks and soreness, excess fat at muscle of her chassis in about a week if she will exercise about 20 minutes a day.

C----- Mary couldn't figure out a problem in addition. If she keeps it up I'll send a diagram and explanation with each card.

I figured some girls were dumb but not that dumb. Your different so don't get the wrong idea. I'm glad that you like your job too as it helps out a lot. You take an extra interest in it. As for that pep talk practice what you preach my dear girl.

I like it here but every day is work and study or something else to do. This week we get up at 4:30 AM notice 4:30 AM and start school at 6 AM. We are going to start an athletic program here; one hour a day and it's going to be a beaut. I'll be a physical giant, I guess, when I leave here, If ever. I like the subjects and on the first mark report I got 90. I have hopes of keeping it up. Mechanical drawing is interesting and I like it a lot as you figure out things that are practical. We have an old man for an instructor and so far he's OK. For math we get problems in fractions, decimals and the like. They are grammar and early high school math but they seem different when you apply them to some useful object or construction. I like shop a lot but I am not too fast. There are kids in these classes all of them who know these three subjects inside out as they have had this in their work and such in airplane factories. We have Navy Rules and Regulations and Basic Related Metals (B.R.M.) which is necessary especially Navy rules. They are interesting but run dry at times.

I got my blues back from the laundry OK and had Captain's inspection this morning (Sunday.) Everyone was all spick and span spruced up and looking pretty for the Old Boy when it started to rain. We took it for about 5 minutes and liked it. They looked us over and passed on. We passed in review, went to church and here I am. I met my friend that I told you I had down here and he's getting married and wants me to be his best man - GOSH - his girl is in college and he is here. She didn't want to go to school but he convinced her she should. Now he don't know what to do. I absolutely refuse to advise him let him figure it out. He made a cake  so he can eat now. This morning about a half an hour before liberty he dragged me out of bed. We chewed the fat for a while before we marched off inspection. I gave him my wallet to hold as we intended to go on liberty together. He went to see a few buddies at the main station and hasn't shown up as yet. It's almost time for dinner. I'll reprimand him when he arrives as I am so prompt myself -------- no cracks.

The day is murky and warm but it may rain or shine as anything happens in Florida.

That will be enough of that for the present as I must go to chow; I'm starved. 

I love you terribly and will always so don't you get any notions and if in my letters you think I am getting silly notions or ideas please notify me promptly. I don't want to cause any rupture between us for anything. Until I hear from you adios.  Keep shmilink chummy.

Love    Love    Love    

Love     Dear John"








I guess Hannie is heading to Camp Edwards for the Telephone Company. She was pretty young - 20 maybe - I'm surprised Ma let her go - maybe Hannie had no choice.

And who is Joe? Joe Cahill? And what kind of crazy notions are running through my mother's brain?

I have to keep reminding myself that my father was still a kid - 23 - he was learning too. 

In my mother's papers I found a letter that she had written to Hannie when Hannie was sent to Camp Edwards by the Telephone Company during WWII. I never knew when Hannie worked there. According to my father's letters, it sounds like she started there in October 1942.


"Monday

Dear Hannie 

I'm supposed to be on my lunch hour now but decided to write to you you old crow. How goes Camp Edwards? I got a letter from John & he had all kinds of instructions for you. You better write to him before he blows a blood vessel. Also write to Aunt Hannah & Nellie said Ma. I went down to see Aunt Hannah Fri night. I wanted to go down before the fire works start about Jim. Jim & Bertha went to see Fr. Lennihan last Tuesday & his name will be called out next Sunday. Lovely eh. Ma is still having fits. 

Billy & Joe called up twice last week once to find out the address to send to Jimmy & the next time to see when the next party was going to be. They said they had a nice kid to bring & I saw him at the dance Sat & he was swell looking. Wowie! I  had to go over to Kemps & I told them I couldn't talk any longer so they said they'd come out & keep me company. I said ok because I didn't have a book or anything & you know how late the Kemps always are so I said ok. They said they'd start right away but only Joe came. I almost croaked when I saw him alone. He stayed till 11:30 & we almost had a riot. He was saying the most insulting things as usual & I went to give him a slap & I hit him in the lip with my ring (Aunt Hannah's) & his lip & tooth started bleeding like anything. I almost died. So Sat night at the dance he was showing all the kids where I bit him. Can you imagine. They were going wild. I was embarrassed to death. We had a swell time at the dance. At least I did. May didn't have such a good time she said. Billy was feeling aces & was acting like a fool. We almost died laughing at him. Huck was there as usual. I only danced with him 3 times thank goodness. I told him I had all the other dances. I danced 3 times with Billy too & I was disgusted but I couldn't help it - he dragged me out. I danced 3 times with the new kid & 3 or 4 times with Frank. Also old guinie Buddy 2. That's all. I was dancing 3 times with every one. Mae and I came home with the whole gang Harpy & all. There were 7. Billy started yelling in the train. He was ragging poor Harpy calling him sharpey etc. & there was a cop in the train glaring at him. Every one told him to shut up & he said "Do you think I'm afraid of a copper blah blah." We thought sure he'd be arrested. What a time. He was funny as heck though. We couldn't help laughing at him dope that he was. He called up yesterday to apologize. Can you imagine. He said he was awful sorry & it would never happen again. Then Joe called up to find out if he had called because he was the one that told him to. I'm telling you it was a riot. 

Mae went home to Cambridge so I had to come home alone because Dot got a ride. All those young kids were dancing with Dot & Mabel. I was laughing my head off at times.

Well it's one o'clock so I shall have to scram. I was going to write to you last night & I told Ma I did so don't say I wrote this at work.

Ellen"






Joe? Joe who? The Joe my father mentioned in his letter? Joe Cahill? Is he still hanging on?

We talked about Camp Edwards before when Arthur Carroll's National Guard unit was called up and sent there for training. The website - https://www.massnationalguard.org/index.php/history/camp-edwards-history.html - reports that "The Convalescent Hospital was established at Camp Edwards in 1942 and, in addition to serving wounded coming back from Europe and the Pacific, the hospital became famous for its convalescent trains that crossed the U.S. and for its WAAC training program for New England nurses. More than 2,500 nurses trained at Camp Edwards before going overseas between 1942 and 1944."

I couldn't find any information about the telephone operators who went to work at Camp Edwards. My aunt Hannie as we have seen was sent there by the Telephone Company. She would get phone numbers from the wounded soldiers and try to get in touch with their families. As the WWII draft registrations showed, not all families had telephones. Hannie said sometimes if a soldier's family did not have a phone, he would tell her that a neighbor in the same building had a phone or a neighbor a couple doors down had a phone. Hannie would have to try to contact his family - sometimes asking a neighbor to go to the soldier's home and get a family member. Hannie said that there were different wards with rows of beds with soldiers with all kinds of wounds. She said the worst were the locked wards - soldiers with shell shock - today we would probably call it PTSD.

The picture below is a picture of telephone workers at Lockheed in California in 1944. I imagine Hannie's set up was similar.





The Telephone Company rented rooms for the telephone operators at the Column Terrace Inn - this was located beside St Patrick's Church on Main Street in Falmouth where the Royal Nursing Home used to be. It was built in 1920 as a first class hotel. 

https://www.hippostcard.com/listing/falmouth-cape-cod-ma-column-terrace-inn-postcard/1916582


Postcard of Column Terrace Inn on Main Street in Falmouth from https://vintagepaperheaven.com/falmouth-ma-column-terrace-inn-postcard-unused-13557/

Hannie and her life long friend Jean Colligan shared a room. My great aunt Nellie Keohane was in Falmouth during this time working for Mr Russell at his summer home on Jones Road. Some times she would leave food for Hannie and Jean while they were at work. One time she left a bottle of milk in the back of the closet which they never found until it went sour - they found it when trying to figure out what the awful smell was. 

The picture below is from the Friday, April 10, 2015 edition of The Falmouth Enterprise.
The caption at the bottom of the picture states "The Column Terrace in the late 1930s stood next to St. Patrick's Church on Main Street. John Dwight who owned the summer house that stood on what is today the beach parking lot at Mill Road, bought the vacant lot about 1920 and built the hotel. Annie Fraser Davis operated it until her death in 1922. Matilda Hague then took over and operated it into the 1930s. The hotel was popular with Falmouth residents and was a favorite for banquets. During World War II the hotel was used by the telephone company a dormitory for operators. It was operated as a hotel again after the war. It was demolished in 1965 and the circular nursing home that is there today was built. Photograph courtesy of Donald Fish."



Another time Aunt Nellie had them go over to Mr Russell's - she used to hang a dishcloth on the hedges if Mr Russell was out and the coast was clear for visitors. She had Hannie and Jean go upstairs to her bedroom - take off their shoes and socks - and soak their feet in a basin of warm soapy water - all the while eating ham sandwiches she had made for them.
I don't know how long Hannie was working at Camp Edwards - maybe we will learn how long from some of my father's later letters.



No comments:

Post a Comment