Monday, November 7, 2022

1943 May and June - Some diary entries and some letters!

 I am finding May 1943 very interesting because I have a few brief diary entries from my mother at the bottom of the pages in her 1941 diary and a couple of letters from my father who is still stationed at Quonset, RI - he doesn't include an address in his letters but his stationary or envelopes indicate where he is.


"5/1/43 - Saturday

Went to work at 11:00 & worked all day by myself. I did the yard goods report & then sneaked in time to type John a letter. 

Dot & I went dancing Sat night & had a pretty good time. We had a lot of fun with Hank, the home town boy. He's a swell kid."





"5/2/43 - Sunday

Madeline & I walked all afternoon. Waltham & back again. 

Saw Rita O'Hara after supper & had a gab. Poor Rita told me all her troubles."



Sounds like my mother and Rita O'Hara were getting along at this point - compared to what was happening in some of the letters from my father.



"5/3/43 - Mond.

Bills, Bills, Bills - ugh!"



Are these bills at work or personal bills? What bills could my mother have?



"May 3, 1943

My dear Ellen,

Today is Monday the day after Sunday. Last night I spent a quiet peaceful evening standing a watch in the hangar here. I was lonely here for a while but another guard came over and we chipped teeth for a couple of hours. He used to live in Massachusetts but moved to Oregon. He joined the navy out there, went thru 'boot' training at San Diego and wound up here. To him I extended my deepest sympathys such as they were. A couple of us received letters from our buddies on the coast which really hit the spot. From correspondence a couple of them are now in the hospital from crashes in planes. Some are at Pearl Harbor others at San Diego Oakland and Frisco with a few scattered thru the California desert. My buddy Lonero is in the desert and gets a hop to town a couple of times a week. As long as they are making out OK I have no worries but I am keeping my fingers crossed. I don't mind it here after all after comparing notes. 

I haven't written to you for quite a while Thursday I think so this is my first letter. I arrived here about three thirty crawled into my sack and snoozed peacefully. Saturday my boy Henry went home and things were dull here over the weekend. Sunday we went to work and after a while went to church. Sunday after noon at work I spent sleeping as there was nothing doing around the planes.

As I related before I had a watch Sunday night till midnight which took up my time. You wrote me a letter Saturday and I got it Sunday afternoon. It took me completely by surprise, such rapid delivery. It rained here terrifically (?) today with a stiff wind that at times reached gale proportions. As fate would have it I got soaked to the skin on one side only. As it happened I was walking into the wind therefore my windward side was soaked and my rear quite dry. 

If I've just finished a short respite during which I had me a wee bit of ice cream a smoke and a gab session. I now will be forced to close shortly as I have to take a shower and get set for bed. So till I write again adios and remember ------------------------ Always

                                                                                John

If paper is smudged please forgive."







I'm laughing at the expression "we chipped teeth for a couple of hours."

Lonero was my father's buddy James Lonero from Somerville - remember his parents were born in Italy - his father was a glass worker in a mirror company, and James was an inspector in a rubber company before he enlisted in the Navy. He was living at home in 1940 with his parents, brother and 4 sisters. I wonder what happened to him?


"Wed - 5/5/43

Dot & I went to Riverview, we met Hank at Harvard but he disappeared when his gang cornered him. We had a fairly good time - nothing to brag about. A lot of the same crowd from Hibernian (Hall.)"





I hadn't heard of Riverview but found this information on the Dorchester Historical Society website: "
On April 30, 1932, the Winter Garden organization opened the Winter Garden Rollerway at 725 Gallivan Boulevard, located approximately where the Expressway off-ramp is now located between Staples and the gas station at Hallet Street – maybe set as far back as the Expressway itself.  Every summer beginning in June, 1933, the roller skating activity moved to Nantasket to allow the use of the facility in Dorchester as the Riverview Ballroom where many traveling name bands performed, including Rudy Vallee, Fred Waring, Isham Jones, Cab Calloway, Larry Clinton, Gene Krupa, Fats Waller, Ina Ray Hutton, Tommy Dorsey and many others. Note, however, that “jitter-bugging” was never permitted at Riverview, while the Old Time Dance Tempo of Ed Andrews caught on and became popular with dancers of all ages."


"May 8, 1943 

Saturday

Worked all day. John arrived about 8:30 in a downpour of rain panting & drenched. Poor John. I gave him a towel to mop himself up with. We hung around, listened to the radio & then took a walk down to Foxes. My hair was hanging down straight by the time we got back. Good fun."



Foxes was Fox Drug Store in Watertown Square that had a soda fountain. 


"May 9, 1943 - Sunday

Annie & her neffoo came over & we hung around for a while, then went to a wedding. John met us in front of the church & we came home in search of a camera - no soap. We were finagled into a game of jump rope with Rita & Helen and then Mary B & her royal Highness Mitzi appeared on the scene. Mitzi was mad at John! No wonder. 

It was a beautiful day & we walked down by the river trying to get a sunburn. Had a lot of fun. Came home, had something to eat & scrammed off to the show. Swell day."



I'm not sure who Helen was - maybe a friend of Rita's. Mary B was probably Mary Blackburn? I can't remember who Mitzi was - I want to say Mitzi White - I couldn't find her in any Watertown High School yearbook through 1950.



"May 10 - Monday 

Work - It's getting me down. Everything piling up on me & the Acc'ts Receivable still aren't down. Sigh!

Hannie's home on her vacation. "



I wonder if Hannie was still down at Camp Edwards?


Also on May 12 the commanders of the German Army and the Italian Army in North Africa surrendered themselves to the Allies, although the German commander refused to sign terms of unconditional surrender of German forces.

On May 18 with an Allied invasion of Italy imminent, PopePius XII sent an appeal to U.S. President Roosevelt, asking that American bombers spare the destruction of Rome noting that its "many treasured shrines of religion and art" were "the precious heritage not of one people but of all human and Christian civilization".



"May 22, 1943 - Sat.

John came home & he sure looked good after 2 weeks."



This diary entry warmed my heart.



"May 27 1943

Quonset RI

My dear Ellen,

Today is Wednesday I think and I have finally recovered from a hectic weekend. I returned safely to the base Monday morning although I was very very weary to say the least. The sleep I had counted on getting on the train failed to materialize as the train was crowded and although I did get a seat it was most uncomfortable as far as sleeping was concerned. Another sailor had a double seat and I joined him. When it came to stretching out for sleep he had first choice and I took what was left, which to make things blunt wasn't a great deal. My feet were against the window and my head was sticking out in (the) aisle. My body to the V for Victory complex if you get what I mean.  When I arrived I went to work all day and took in a show that night to sort of induce sleep. From advanced notices it was supposed to be really good a real killer - with a great deal of expectancy I arrived and waited for the show. First showing was the news then a colored navy short and then the main feature 'Idaho' starring the one and only Roy Rogers the king of the cowboys. It almost caused me a mental collapse. I sat thru it as best I could watching him find the killer and redeem himself. Never again - not unless I'm drunk therefore never again. I've wound up the week with a bushel full of 4 hour watches to stand with plenty of time to stand them. I will be home Friday nevertheless a sort of nice way of breaking the strenuous or is it tedious monetary of confinement to this hole. As I have it figured I'll be able to stay home overnight but when I figure out a good deal for myself the boys - gold braid - read my mind and change it much to my disliking. But I have my fingers crossed hoping things work out OK. We change our schedule this weekend and every thing is confusing and unorganizing now. We'll have to wait till it goes into effect. 

Two of the boys here asked for transfer and after leading them around the bush finally and flatly refused the request much to everyones disgust. There hearts were all set to go and now disappointed they don't give a tinker's d--- for anything.

Well got to sign off now so take it slow.

My love always

John"








I remember watching the Roy Rogers show when I was a kid - I think I even had a Dale Evans costume. 

The website - https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001678/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm - tells us: 

"Roy Rogers (born Leonard Slye) moved to California in 1930, aged 18. He played in such musical groups as The Hollywood Hillbillies, Rocky Mountaineers, Texas Outlaws, and his own group, the International Cowboys. In 1934 he formed a group with Bob Nolan called Sons of the Pioneers. While in that group he was known as Leonard Slye, then Dick Weston. Their songs included 'Cool Water' and 'Tumbling Tumbleweeds.' They first appeared in the western 'Rhythm on the Range' (1936), starring Bing Crosby and Martha Rae. In 1936 he appeared as a bandit opposite Gene Autry in 'The Old Coral.' In 1937 Rogers went solo from 'The Sons of the Pioneers' and made his first starring film in 1938, Under Western Stars ... He made almost 100 films. The Roy Rogers Show (1951) ran on NBC from October 1951 through 1957 and on CBS from 1961 to September 1964. In 1955, 67 of his feature films were released to television."


On May 27 at the Polish city of Tluste, now part of the Ukraine, liquidation of the Jewish population was carried out by the German SS, with 3,000 persons killed in a single day. The people were gathered in the town square, then led in groups of at least 100 to 200 to the town's Jewish cemetery, where they were shot.


Neither my mother nor my father mentioned that it was 2 years ago May 29, 1941 that my mother met my father at Rita O'Hara's party. I wonder if they remembered the date.


Also on May 29, 1943 Norman Rockwell's illustration of Rosie the Riveter (on the left below) was introduced, on the cover of the Memorial Day issue of the Saturday Evening Post. It was seen by millions of Americans during WWII, but J Miller Howard's Rosie flexing her arm became the classic icon.




"May 30, 1943

My dear Ellen,

Today as you know is Memorial Day and I am confined to quarters. Not having to work I am at this writing, lying in the sun endeavoring to contract a burn of some sort from the elements. I am between two barracks and the radios are going full blast all around me. For the past half hour I've been listening to some really beautiful music - deep yet very good. Shubert's 'Unfinished Symphony' and the 'Afternoon of a Town' by De Bussey. At home I used to turn the radio off when these songs came on but today they seemed a peaceful soothing something or other that eased my mind when I couldn't be home with you. The smooth strains of overtones and undertones seemed a counterpart of an otherwise dismal day. The weather here today is beautiful and the sun strong and inviting. The weather and music combined make it not too bad. I wish I could get off though as beautiful days are not to be wasted but taken advantage of. The beautiful days remind me of the Sunday walks we used to take - Remember! The recent Sunday canter along the Charles is as vivid in my memory as though it was today - this very afternoon; again last Sunday when we took the pictures, they all give me a constant desire to always return home no matter where I may be and under any circumstances. To you they may be ordinary days but to me they are weeks and months condensed into one day. I know you understand so don't change under any event because as the song says 'you are so nice to come home to' and I mean it. 

I commence working nights tonight at 9:30 and I have not got any idea when my next liberty will be but I('ll) let you know as soon as I find out. 

I still haven't received a reply from Hannie or Mary B and I am waiting anxiously for an answer. Have you received the pictures as yet, if so how did they turn out?

Today I am almost flat broke and await pay day with a great deal of expectancy if you know what I mean. I have twenty bucks owed to me by one of the boys here and at the same time am endeavoring to save for my leave when & if I get it. Put the pressure on Teresa to put the pressure on her man to sort of make up his mind and get married before hell breaks loose again otherwise talk her out of it altogether.

I am trying to think of some place to go but need a bit of assistance from all concerned. Where will it be?

Well I got to scram for now as a hungry man must be fed but good - so take it slow. 

My love always

John"






Interesting that my father was enjoying classical music - I love  Beethoven's Ode to Joy - I was just listening to it on PBS. I have several records of classical music that I listen to sometimes as I am writing this blog. 

I think Teresa might be Teresa Carney from Riverside Street who graduated Watertown High School with my mother.

And when is my father going some place? And where? Isn't he always having trouble getting a leave?



"June 4, 1943

My dear Ellen,

I received your letter yesterday and was very very glad to hear from you to say the least. I hope this letter will arrive before the last one I wrote. It may at that as our mailing system here is full of surprises and what nots. Mostly what nots.

I received more mail this week, since I've been in the Navy I think, to make it perfect all I need is a letter from Hannie which I failed to get. The boys are anxiously awaiting a reply and I am hoping to get a letter soon I hope. As for transfers the same verdict is in order - no soap. The rush has subsided and the boys are now trusting to fate to deliver them.

I hope you will have the pictures by the time I get home if not I'll curse the fates. As for your aunt Hannah I knew we should have gone down to see her but such is life. Well you got blamed. I'll have to pay her a visit as she seems to be one of my most faithful fans and I must look after my public. As for your hair I told you to get it cut but not too short just short enough for comfort. I realize you must be going through h--- these hot days with your hair all over the place. And that raise wow - when I read that I croaked - almost - you say I am unpredictable what do you call that. It sure was sudden like. Well I wish you a world of success anyway and many more to come. As for firing you never fear - labor shortage is too acute to release you therefore bleed them to death. As for that indefinite answer well that should keep her guessing for a while.

As for the new shift - nuff said. We have breakfast at 8:00 PM dinner at 1:30 AM and breakfast again at 7:30 AM then to bed. We are aroused about noon by the day crew running around and there are a mess of other unique disturbances that make our repose anything but restful. Our liberty has been cut 50% due to the lack of fuel and gas here in the east. We used to have liberty every other weekend and every other night but now we have liberty every sixth night and weekend once a month. Therefore I won't get a weekend until the 18th and I should have a few days then. I am keeping my fingers crossed though as we don't know what's going to happen next around here.

I figured on getting out this weekend but no soap. I sent you a telegram so as not to keep you waiting. I hope you got it OK. The base is swarming with sailors as they go out 25% at a time therefore 75% of the men are still aboard all the time which makes things crowded around here. To bide away the time we all sing in a bunch here with a kid who owns a guitar. We have some talent here and I don't mean maybe neither. All kinds of acts and characters. Well I'll write again this week to keep you informed of our progress. Till then adios.

Alway - Love - Always _______________ John"






"June 9, 1943

Dear Ellen

For once I've arrived at the stage where the correct date appears on my letter. As usual there is not very much doing and I'm doing very much regardless.

With a load of spare time I've finally come to the conclusion that I should write you a letter and I am giving it my best efforts. I am now in my second week of nights and I still don't like the idea. I don't care who may have been the fool whose devilish mind conceived this plan. It ain't working for navy non-civilian personal. The civilians are all quitting and I think the sailors would too if they were in a position to do so. They make us sleep all day work all night and then give liberty one weekend a month. I'm getting kind of fed up and disgusted with this station and I mean it. They want you to be a dog and they treat you just like one. All the boys have again applied for a transfer but I guess it will be the same as ever. No. A rumor was around that a draft was being formed to go to Brazil but it fell through completely. Just another unfounded rumor that builds up the spirit and when found hollow and empty knocks your hopes blooey. At present I am on a twenty four hour watch and not having had any sleep for about twenty four hours after working last night feel a wee bit woozy and excited or is it sour? My outlook at present is bad but with a little shut eye I'll carry thru as usual - I hope.

I've still not received an answer from Hannie and am waiting patiently for her reply to my letter of introduction. The boys I might add are awaiting a reply quite patiently - and I am being looked upon skeptically if you know what I mean. My career and success depend upon an answer from her soon and it had better be soon or else ---- I'm a dead duck! I've been trying patiently to dig up a few rolls of film down here on the base but as yet no luck. I have a 4F civilian working on the deal now and am awaiting results quite patiently. Why must I always wait so patiently can you tell me? Never mind - skip it! I hope you got your pictures and that they turned out OK. If you haven't them now get them before the eighteenth as that is my next liberty as the schedule runs now. Nevertheless it may change but it won't affect me at all ------ I hope. Well got to sign off now and put on the old feed bag as time is now approaching. Hoping to see you soon which won't be soon enough.

Love always 

John"








On June 19 Germany's Führer, Adolf Hitler, summoned SS Chief Heinrich Himmler to the Führer's mountain retreat at Obersalzberg. According to a memorandum of the secret meeting, Hitler ordered that the Jewish resistance in Eastern Europe ... should be eradicated over the next four months by the mass evacuation of Jews.



"June 26 1943

My dear Ellen,

I have just finished work and on my way home to the barracks I should say I picked up my mail. I almost collapsed as I received three letters two from you and one from dear Hannie. She writes similar to you and I almost imagined it was from you till I looked at the postmark. I returned safely but a little the worse for wear after my sojourn to dear old home during the week. It was so hot on the train I must have lost about 20 pounds by perspiration no fooling. I grabbed a local at 6:20 and didn't get to Providence till eight o'clock. What a trip! They picked up two loads of freight on the way. The regular express passed us half way down and the 7:00 express followed us into Providence. Contrary to my intentions I again wore blues but I'll say it again 'Never again.' It was so hot home I slept about two hours and came back and worked all night. It wasn't bad. You see I got a special commendation from the chief for special work I did. It may not mean much but every little bit helps. The letter I got from Hannie was a lulu. I wrote her a beauty of a line and you should see what she sent me back it almost floored me with its terrific introduction. Synonyms galore. I figure every girl in her gang took a hand in writing the letter. No one girl could write like that. Stupendous I call it. She said she was going to write. As for your vacation pleeze make it.
It is so hot here I am going crazy with the heat. It must be a hundred now and it's only 8:30 AM. I will be home Wednesday nite so expect me, don't forget. I'll have to sign off now as I've clothes to wash and a lot of sleeping to do.

Love 

John"








On June 28 SS Major Karl Biscoff reported to Berlin that the four new crematoria that had been built at the Auschwitz concentration camp were completed. Crematorium Number 1 could process 340 bodies per day, while the four new ones could handle 4,400.

So as life goes on so does the war and the war crimes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment