Saturday, January 21, 2023

1945 July-August: Back from a leave - waiting on a transfer

July 3, 1945 the first civilian passenger car made in the United States in three years rolled off the assembly line of the Ford Motor Company in Detroit.

According to the website - https://www.motorcities.org/story-of-the-week/2021/remember-ford-motor-company-s-post-war-years-1946-1955 - "On September 21, 1945, Henry Ford II had been named president of Ford Motor Company, succeeding his grandfather Henry Ford. Just before receiving his new position, “Hank the Deuce” personally delivered the first civilian car off the assembly line to President Harry Truman at the White House. The car was a 1946 Super Deluxe Tudor which came off the line on July 3."



July 5 General Douglas MacArthur announced that the Philippines had been completely liberated.



"July 9, 1945

My dearest Ellen, 

Well honey here is number one on my return trip with more to follow as quickly as possible. As you can see I have returned safely and on time a little tired but nevertheless in good shape. I went to get my mail yesterday and had a bundle. I received two from you written after I had left and was really amazed that they had arrived so soon. I guess we are both off to a good start. Well honey now to recall the things of the past. I will really and honestly say that my past leave was the best I have had since I have been in the Navy. My only regret was that I didn't spend more time with you but I am looking forward to even better times as I told you when I left you. Monday nite I had a telegram waiting when I got home from my boy telling me to meet him in Grand Central at 9:30 at night Tuesday. What a relief. I slept till noon took the lady next door to the hospital and got my stuff together and climbed aboard the 3:00 pm train. Was it hot! I almost had a stroke but I persevered (?) nevertheless. I pulled into Penn Station and feeling stuffy and hot I walked over to grand Central a distance of about ten blocks. I stopped and had a beer or two for old times sake but mostly because I was dry. 

About ten o'clock my boy arrived feeling no pain if you know what I mean and he had his family in tow. His mom & sister plus a sister in law and a few grown kids. We had a drink or two and climbed on the 11:30 train for Chicago. It was a nice pleasant over nite trip as we arrived in Chicago at 4:30 PM. We had a four hour lay over at Chi and went looking for what we could see which turned out to be nothing. We got an express from Chicago to L.A. at 8:30 PM and we sailed on and on. The train was practically empty so we had plenty of room. Everything went fine on the Rock Island til we hit New Mexico. There the Southern Pacific took over. By the time we hit El Paso Texas we thought we were in a foreign country. The Mexicans just jammed into the train. They don't speak English much so you can see my point. They brought along the kids and aunts & grandmas et al so you can see they brought every thing but the live stock. After El Paso we made more stops than the street car to Revere Beach. Every tank and water town turned out to be a stop. We finally arrived here Saturday at 5:00 AM five hours late. We layed around Saturday not being able to get any bus and about midnite started here ins earnest. 

Transportation being a big problem we got here at 4AM Sunday and have been resting ever since so help me. We had moved to a new spot over with the CBs so confusion reigns. We don't expect to be here more than a week or two so things are looking up again. My soul desire is to get out & back again. The sooner we get out the sooner we get back is my way of figuring it out. In my next letter I'll send you a code that we will use so you will know what I mean. The code will be in names of people either first or last name and will be associated with a definite spot. 

Well honey as I said before I had a wonderful time at home and I love you more than ever before more than I ever thought possible and I am now looking forward to my return and us getting married. I'll keep you informed as to particulars so we won't waste any time in the process. Well I've got to close now kid so take good care of yourself and keep up the good work. Say a prayer or two for my fast return cause I want you more than any thing at all. 

I've got to close now and eat chow so keep plugging and I'll keep on writing.

My love always

John

Note

Ellen C Keohane

C - California

Simple eh."




"July 13 1945

My dearest Ellen,

I'm a few days behind but still ahead as far as my old standards and ways are concerned. Well, honey I have been back now for a week and we are still laying around just waiting on our word and time of departure. About four hundred guys didn't get any leave to go home so this week, Monday in fact, they gave all of them four days off as compensation so the place is quiet about now. As far as my leave is concerned I figure I was lucky as right after we left to go home they cancelled all the long leaves. I guess it must have been your piety and prayers which as I have told you before are building up a very good percentage and all in your favor. Keep up your good work kid and maybe I'll see you again sooner than you think. Yesterday we spent all day in the gas area getting precautions & test samples of gases both poisonous and nuisance and I would up with a beautiful sunburn on my arms and face. It doesn't hurt but the redness makes me look as though I am blushing all over. I won't mind though as I'll have to tan or burn to a frazzle sooner or later anyway. I have been receiving your letter a day but not as a letter a day. I get get two or three at a crack every two or three days. I don't think they are boring at all and I don't want you to ever think that either. I look forward to your mail honey and appreciate all kinds of letters long or 'quickies'. I have been thinking of you a lot honey and miss you a lot too. I guess you know how I feel about you honey and I will never ever change so help me. I want you more than anything kid and I will as soon as I come back. We have as yet got any definite word as to departure but as for our destination it is as I told you way down in the bottom of the joint. A few of the guys in our group said they met guys just coming in from other ACORN outfits who said it was a snap. All they did was put in their time and come home. If they go out again they want another ACORN for duty. I guess it won't be too bad not too long either as the Japs seem to be cracking up.

Well honey I'll close for now and write right after the week end again. I haven't been on liberty but once since I got back and due to finances may stay in this weekend too. Again kid take care of yourself and keep buzzing.

All my love always

John"





Meanwhile on July 15 blackout restrictions for the West End of London were lifted. 

July 16 as part of the Manhattan Project, the United States Army conducted the first detonation of a nuclear weapon in the Jornada del Muerto desert in New Mexico.


July 17 the Potsdam Conference begins under British Prime Minister Churchill, Soviet Prime Minister Stalin and U.S. President Truman. The Allied leaders agree to insist upon the unconditional surrender of Japan.


Halfway through the conference Prime Minister Churchill was beaten in the British election by Clement Attlee who then took over at the conference.




"July 17 1945

My dearest Ellen,

Well here I am again after a busy day at the office, I had to clean up the hut we are now quartered in all by myself. All the other guys had other details except me, unluckily, so I got stuck once again. It wasn't bad though but when I started it seemed like a pretty difficult job for your broken down puny true love. It's very dusty at times out here so you have to keep at it all the time in order not to get smothered by it.  I just returned from noon chow and am gloating over the fact that I didn't eat more. Chicken, southern fried, was the main fare today and honey how I love that stuff. By the way that is one thing you must learn to prepare if you intend to be on my good side forever and a day, That stuff I relish, in fact chicken of any style, so get going but fast. - 

Back again after a slight interruption to get my mail from some girl named Keohane - by the way thanks again. Well honey we got a list of clothing we are to take with us and from the size of it I'm afraid each man will need a ship of his own. They certainly want us to stock up. I'll have some stuff around to send home though, but when I don't know. We are now quartered with a bunch of C.B.s out here and they are attempting to make our life miserable. Sunday night Webber and I and a fellow from Chicago went to town, got a buzz on, and gave the poor confused B-----ds a real bad time. It's a wonder we weren't assassinated or something. I really don't think they like us aviation boys at all. I thought I'd put on weight while we were waiting out here but outside of the chicken today the chow has been lousy. Maybe it will get better at least I hope so anyway. Reading over the last letter that I got from you I see Madeline is at it again. Oh well, she'll wind up getting burnt one of these days. I'm really glad that you aren't like her, really I am. She changes faster than the wind. I guess she's a dreamer.

I'm missing you a lot these days kid and only hope we can get going and return very quick. Maybe I'm asking too much but no ask you no get. Keep praying kid cause I'm counting on you to pull us thru, no fooling. So far we are just laying around doing nothing only waiting & waiting. It sounds easy but it's really tough as it's so much wasted time that's all. As far as Rita O' is concerned kid her along and keep her guessing. I guess as far as I'm concerned I'm an old something or other to be treating her like I do but I enjoy it. Pet hobby I guess. Well honey I guess I'll close for now and write again in a day or two. I've been reading myself blind - The Informer - Ghenghis Khan - so I'll have to get some eye rest for awhile - I love you kid with all my heart.

All of my love always

John

No ink - d--- it"   (My father's pen ran out of ink.)




I thought my father had said he didn't drink - I wonder what changed?



"21 July 1945

My very dearest Ellen,

I'm a few days behind schedule but I am still trying very hard to keep on the beaten path so far as my letter writing is concerned. I have been receiving your regular letter a day and I do really appreciate it an awful lot so help me I do. I miss you an awful lot and your mail sort of makes up the link that keeps us together if you know what I mean. Today I have about a thousand letters to answer as my mail has been heavy this week. My coal cracker friend that I had at Willow Grove just wrote to me & he expects to be out here  before long. He's hoping we stay here till he gets out here to the coast. I really would like to see him again. Aleo so he informed me is being pursued quite hotly by a Wave who has designs on him for the future. Poor Aleo, I'm afraid his goose will soon be cooked much against his will. He, Aleo I mean, went upstate to this kids home and spilled the beans to this kids mother as to our escapades and less adventurous endeavors so I am expecting a letter from her expressing her shock as she always thought we were above that sort of thing. The boys mother is a very understanding person and will no doubt see our view point - at least I hope so any way. Remind me if we ever go to New York or Pennsylvania to take you around to see her as she said she would like to meet you. You see honey you aren't just getting a husband you are also getting yourself a publicity man as well. I got a letter from my mater also and she said you didn't go out as planned. I'm not going to scold you or any thing else. I'll leave it up to you. If you want to go out your always welcome and they would like to see you. They weren't mad or anything they figure your just a little shy or bashful. My brother Tom is still carrying on as usual. I got a letter from him also. He must be working pretty hard as he didn't have much to say. He gave me all the news from home never realizing that I just got back from my leave. I haven't heard from Joe in a long time, I guess he's putting in a lot of sea time. By the way honey don't you start doping off in that job of yours or I'll be forced to seek employment elsewhere.  After all you have to support me in my older years so don't lose out now. Keep on the ball, please. Well kid in order to stay in the good graces of all concerned, my public I mean, I'll close for now and give them a line or two to keep our relations intact. I'll say so long for a while now honey and say again I miss you an awful lot and still love you more than anything at all.

All my love always

John

P.S. Are my letter censored?"

My father drew a map of Okinawa and wrote "Here's where we will be I think?"






"Wed. 25 July 1945

My dearest Ellen, 

Hello again! I just wrote a letter to my mother and in order not to be neglectful I shall do the same for you. Well honey we are enjoying (?) a ten day grace on sailing time and are scheduled to leave around the tenth. We were scheduled for yesterday but only our supplies left leaving us here. The men and officers are really blowing their tops as they are not doing anything and are all broke. To lower morale still further the chow has been lousy but its getting a little better by degrees. All I've been doing is the laundry of yours truly and that is enabling me to keep busy. I can't lay down during the day as I have bed sores from sleeping. I really need exercise no fooling. 

I have another complaint to make also. We never get a newspaper, well not very often, and who knows maybe the war is over.

Again honey, to get back to earth, I love you so much and miss you so much this delaying stuff is driving me nuts, - sometimes. I hope we leave ahead of schedule so we can do some thing to keep us busy. Lots of work will cure us of our ails and ales. Well kid I cut this short as I only have time for a quickie right now. I love you so much --------

Alway  John"





"July 29 1945

My dearest Ellen, 

Hello again and again. Well honey your miracle didn't happen and I'm afraid that by the time you receive this letter I will have left the U.S.A. New orders and changes around here have hastened our day of departure. Please don't you worry about me as I will be all right - please! So as not to worry you further you may not receive mail from me for a while as I will be at sea thus no correspondence. As soon as I can get an opportunity I'll pick up where I left off and will attempt to remain in your good graces. As I'ver told you before I've been waiting out here now for a few months and I'm glad we're going as the sooner out the sooner back and that's what I want. Our destination is the same  I guess but they haven't made it official as yet. I got two letters from you today to brighten up my life out here and they were very interesting indeed. So Madeline is sort of fouled up again. Oh well! She must be really desperate for a man and from your candid description a poor one at that. Oh well who knows what may turn out. I'd really hate to be in her shoes as it is. As far as your new regime is concerned kid stick it out for a while and see what develops. As you know jobs aren't to scarce as yet so as a good office worker you should be able to latch onto a job. My sister did it. See her and get the dope. The Jewish people aren't to bad to work for but don't take any guff from any of them - Miss Mac or anyone else. Tell them off all they can do is fire you. As for your going out to my house, very good indeed. They really love to have you no fooling and even though they don't talk about me no news is good news. Please if my father takes you home again don't ask him to go down by the river. He'll die. It all adds up to the fact kid that our day is coming and when it comes - look out. As for your sister Peggy let her go - after all her man leaves soon. Maybe she thought the same way about you when I was home. Honey I miss you a million and more times and love you twice as much but after I return from this debacle and recline on my derriere for a while then we will make up for lost time. Before I leave here I'll write you again so remember my new address on the envelope. All my love kid.

Alway & always

John"





On August 2 at the end of the Potsdam Conference, issues such as the expulsion of Germans from the eastern quarter of Germany and
elsewhere in eastern Europe are mandated in the Potsdam Agreement.



"Somewhere at Sea

4 August 1945

My dearest Ellen,

As I wrote before honey your miracle without a doubt has not occurred. I have left the states and am proceeding now to our destination. This sea duty is a snap as far as I'm concerned. I haven't been sea sick although I was a wee bit confused shall we say the first few hours out. I hope you received my my last letter as I didn't have much time to mail it myself so I had someone mail it for me. About that Sunday you and I were confused over, about my saying you were going to my house and you didn't, well kid that has all been taken care of. I just wrote to my mother and I know all will be secure.

As you probably know all my mail is now being censored so there isn't much I can say outside of that I am all right and doing okay so far. 

I went to Mass & Communion prior to my departure so I am also in the good graces of the dear Lord also.

Well honey I can't say much more except that I still love you dearly and I hope that we all will be home real soon. Keep your chin up kid and take care. I'll write again as soon as possible. If you don't receive any mail from me for a while please don't worry as I'm doing the best I can and out in these parts I have a lot of competition as far as mail going home is concerned. 

All my love 

Always - John 

John J. P. Manning AM1/c"













No comments:

Post a Comment