Wednesday, March 15, 2023

One more letter from Jim - Pearl Harbor is like heaven

 I just found one more letter that Jim wrote home to Ma. I'm including it here and will also put it in the post for December 1945.


"Dec 17 1945

Pearl Harbor

Dear Ma

We have been in Pearl Harbor since Wednesday and we are leaving today for Panana. It will take us between 18 and twenty days to get there so the next mail you get will be from Panama.

I received a letter of yours yesterday that was written Nov 1st so you can see how our mail is fouled up. Our PO is in New York now. 

I have been over on the beach three times on liberty and did I eat. Steak, steak, steak, milk, tomato and lettuce, hamburgers, ice cream. I must have spent twenty dollars on dinners and suppers but it was worth it. All the eating joints are in Honolulu and Waikiki.

The Silenus hit the city of Honolulu with a roar. Our first liberty in 16 months. It seems like Heaven after where we have been, One of our guys made the papers and news broadcast. 'Sailor Runs Amuck' 'Rampaging Sailor' and everything like that. It seems he went to sleep someplace in a big dept store and they closed up and left him in there. When he woke up he couldn't get out so he started running wild. 

                                                            2

He kicked in showcases ripped up suits and knocked things over. Nobody could get in at him until the owner or boss came and then he was a way up on a shelf with an armload of ladies panties scaling them all over one by one and yelling like hell. The store had to close for two days and he caused $2,800 worth of damage which the insurance has to pay. Nothing happened to the sailor, our captain let him off. The city police grilled the sailor but he couldn't remember a darned thing. When they arrested him they choked him with his neckerchief and now he can't talk above a whisper. 

We got another captain. He was our executive officer before. His name is Springer and he is a Catholic. He went to church with us this morning. Every Sunday at sea he has church services for the Catholics and we say the rosary. He is a good guy and every one likes him. 

On the way back to the States we ought to eat like kings cause we got tons and tons of supplies. The captain wants us to eat good he told the chief commissary steward. I'll bet I have gained weight since I have been here between those meals at Honolulu and here. 

This place is like heaven.

                                                                3.

So you can tell the difference in church on Sunday as how many fellows are home. I'll have to go down for Mass at St. Pat's when I get home. I always think of St Pat's when I think of a church back home in the States. 

I just weighed myself - 145 pounds with shoes and overalls on.

I wonder what Aunt Hannah would say if she saw me. I haven't seen her (in) years.

Don't worry about that money Ma - you keep it. Thanks for the stamps that were in this letter I got from you. 

Yes I have heard about this bright yellow sweater in a couple of letters. It must be a good one tho. Good old Aunt Nellie. Tell her I was asking for her.

Yes, Bert says I won't have any trouble getting acquainted with Cynthia because she is so friendly. I can hardly wait to see her. 

Well, that is all for now so take care of yourself. I'll be home towards the end of January.

Love

Jim"







Ma had Masses said for Jim - I'm sure she worried about him while he was in the service.

































No comments:

Post a Comment