Thursday, August 17, 2023

1947 May 1- May 15

Note: A couple of these letters did not have envelopes and some of the envelopes predated the letters but I left the letters with the envelops that they can in. 


"1 May 1947 

My most dearest darling Ellen,

Today ushered in another month and I only hope that it whizs right by as April so obligingly did. With the start of the new month we also are getting a preview of summer. It's as hot as the pits of you know where around here. All day long and so far all night long it's still hot and humid. My room here feels like an oven. If it's going to be like this all summer I'll melt away to mere skin and bones. At work today I walked into an air conditioned office and it felt like an icebox and when I walked back out it felt like I was walking into a fire. I guess I'll just have to get accustomed to it and I'm afraid that will take time. If it gets much hotter I'll have to get out of my sweat box and get a job in some cool office where I will be comfortable to a degree. 

I didn't get any mail from you today's I guess the deliveries are off schedule. I'll get it tomorrow no doubt. I'll be glad to get home on leave if this heat keeps up so that I can cool off in good New England weather. The time is approaching fast and now with May started it seems so much closer. I'm trying to be patient about it but my nerves just won't allow it. That's all that's in my mind these days ~ my leave in June. It will be simply wonderful to be with you again and I'm looking forward to it very very much indeed. Only 55 more days left. It seems like a long time but it will be here before we know it ~ I keep telling myself. There wasn't very much doing at work today and after walking around all morning I read Time Magazine all afternoon. It's nice work if you can get it but since I've got it I don't like it at all. I'll put up with it though until something better comes along to beat it. I just returned from the show where I saw 'Michigan Kid' with Jon Hall. What a stinker. Not having anything else to do I sat thru it building up a lot of chagrin at such a bad display of talent. I learned today that I look like a desperado. I guess it's because I need a shave and I look dark and desperate. I don't think I look quite that bad but if these characters think so I won't object. Anything to keep them happy. Incidentally I saw a short of a Kansas City Horse Show at the movies tonight and I don't blame you for almost galloping after seeing that one at the Garden (note: Boston Garden arena.) Strictly a society affair that I don't think even the horses enjoy. I've never seen a real one but I don't figure that we missed an awful lot in not attending. Back again - I just had to call up and muster. I have the duty tonight so I have to call in to let them know that I'm on the base. Luckily I have no watch to put up with tonight. I usually snag one over the weekend when I have the duty.

Getting back to my leave I'm trying to decide if I should buy some civilian clothes down here and wear them home. What do you think? I'll probably take home a couple of uniforms and my top coat and leave them there as I won't need them until later in the fall again. Give me your opinion on the situation honey and I'll aim to please you. I'm listening to Bing Crosby and Groucho Marx sing about Lydia the Tattoo Lady. If I don't make sense for a few lines blame it on Bing Crosby. After reading over a few of your letters I agree wholeheartedly with you when you say that we will need years to catch up on this wasted time. I promise you that I'll never be away from you again ever. Life without a wife is indeed a dull life but I hope that it won't be too long. After my leave I guess I'l have to start checking off the days until my ultimate discharge. That will be the happiest day I'll have to look forward to. Any day that will allow me to be with you is always a happy day.

I'd like to get home for Annie's wedding as it will be my first since we were the stars. I'd like to see how someone else reacts on their wedding day. On our wedding night I think that I was just as nervous as you but when we went to the bar at the Bellevue and you started downing those drinks I forgot about my nervousness and started worrying about you. I always worry about you when you drink so when you see me on edge when you're drinking blame it on worry. Your capacity surprised me on a couple of occasions but beer is what affects you the most I've come to find out.  Please take it easy honey as it does you no good whatsoever no matter what anyone says or anyone thinks about it. It took me a little while to find out and see through it all. Well honey I'm afraid that I'll have to sign off for tonight and I'll write again tomorrow night. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I miss you dearly. 

All of my love 

God bless you

Always

John."













"2 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

Another work week has ended thank the Lord and I have one week less to worry about. It went by pretty fast as I hope they all do. As usual I didn't do very much today as it was pay day for the civilians so work was of secondary importance. I have done more work in the past hour hanging Venetian blinds in my room than I did all day long. I'm still sweating a little from the task that had me crawling along radiators and balancing myself on the back of chairs to drive nails and run in some screws. I don't have to worry about them any more unless they get ornery and come tumbling down on me. 

It continued hot again today but a slight breeze eased away the mugginess. It was also a day of excitement as we had a couple of wrecks - no one was hurt as they all had a chance. Two guys in one plane had their engine go up in flames so they jumped from a couple of thousand feet and parachuted to earth safely. Another guy, a cadet, was landing in a seaplane and misjudged his altitude. He headed over on his nose slightly and plowed into the bay. He cleared out of the heap alright and was promptly fished out of the bay by a crash boat. It's the first series of accidents that they have had down here in quite a while. 

I made out in the letter department today by receiving two letters, one from you and one from my mother. I also received a couple of postcards advertisements to build up my morale. The cards were from the florist downtown who reminded me that Mothers Day is only one week away. He didn't have to remind me as I've been looking forward to it for weeks. Holidays and days of remembrance are sort of land marks in my tour of duty down here. They sort of break up the monotony of week in and week out the faster they come and go the sooner I will get home to you to stay for keeps. As you already know by now they can't roll around fast enough for me. I'm only hoping that after Labor Day they rush by like mad as that last year will be rough I'm afraid. I guess I had better get around to your letter before I ramble off at a tangent. I guess the reason you didn't get any mail from me one day was due to the fact that I ran out of stamps and mailed the letter a day later. You probably got it the next day. I hope so, as I've been writing at least once a day. My day is routine now so they are all the same except Saturday and Sunday when I try to figure out something worth while to do. No matter what I do or where I may happen to venture I miss you very much. I think of no one else but you as you are uppermost in my mind all of the time. Being separated like this makes me feel like I'm in jail but I'm very glad that I'm not. I guess I'm just blue and impatient to see you and be with you. 

I guess Terry O'Toole is getting back to his old routine that made him the local laughing stock. I don't see why he just didn't sing and forget his dialogue? I agree with you as far as Christopher Lynch is concerned, he is good and is getting better all of the time. I finally got around to hearing him down here after missing him so often. I see you are still smoking even though it makes you sick and dizzy. You are really stubborn and you always told me that I was strong headed. Such is life, live and learn. With all the heat and sun down here I noticed after reading your letter that I haven't even got a tan as yet. I don't really tan I burn but it doesn't hurt, more like getting fried. I'll have to lay in the sun one of these days and see what materializes.

From all indications every thing is about the same at home with very little change. Joe got his license in his old wreck much to everyone's surprise. Now they are all hoping that he will stay in school and not change his mind and quit. I'll kick his rear-end if he does. Tom and Edwina are about the same from all that I can figure out and have finally settled down to married life. I'm sort of jealous of them in a way but our time will come pretty soon and then I'll be really completely happy. Well honey I'll have to quit for now and retire for the night. I hope you can get a call thru tomorrow as I'll be waiting for you. It will be 10:15 when you call if you follow schedule so I'll probably just be getting out of bed. I miss you tremendously honey and I'm counting the days until I see you once again. I love you with all my heart and soul.
All of my love to you
God Bless you
Alway
John"









"3 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

Hello again! It was just wonderful to hear your voice once again and I hated to hang up although I had nothing to say except that I love you and miss you fiercely. After talking to you for so long I felt as though I was walking on air until I sat down and then I felt terribly lonesome for you. I guess I was the lonesomest guy on earth. I would be lonesome in a mob if you weren't with me honey because you are the only one that matters to me. When I see you once again I'll never be so glad to see anybody in my whole life. I can't understand it all sometimes, but I miss you dreadfully. Overseas I got accustomed to being lonesome but since I returned and saw you again and married you being away from you again hurts me terribly. What hurts most is the fact that I'm so near to you yet so far. I promise you again that once I get out of the Navy I'll never ever leave you again, never.

I went downtown this afternoon and as usual when I got down there I kept wondering what I was doing downtown. It's really a dead spot as everyone will agree but I managed to browse around for a couple of hours. I went down on the sea wall for a while and got my face and arms burnt by the sea and wind. Maybe I'll manage to get a tan before I get home on leave. I doubt it very much but I'll try very hard. Every time I change color it washes off like dirt every time I shower & sweat a lot. I guess I'm not the coloring type. When I came back tonight I remembered that I forgot to get some Mothers Day cards to send home. I'll try tomorrow at Ships Service as I think they have some if not I'm afraid I'll have to venture downtown this week.

I went to the show tonight and saw the 'Late George Apley' with Ronald Coleman. It was really good, all about Boston and Beacon St. The movies are really slapping Boston around these days but this picture really hits the right spot. If you haven't seen it yet give it a look as I think that you will enjoy it. I was going to a Novena tonight but we haven't any priest as yet  and tomorrow a priest from a different outfit will come here to say Mass. Our chaplain won't be here until the middle of the month. Well I'm running out of inspiration about now so I guess I'll sign off until tomorrow. I love you and I miss you very very much. I'm waiting as patiently as I possibly can for the days to hurry by so that I can be with you again, but my patience are slowly getting strained. I hope that I can hold out until June 23. 
All of my love to you
God Bless you 
Always
John x"








"4 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

Another day has passed by and my days are getting fewer and fewer until I'll be with you once again. I made today go by fast as I've been going hot & heavy all day long even up to this letter writing time. I got up at ten, Sunday rest and leisure, read the paper showered and shaved and went to noon Mass. Incidentally we had a new priest and he isn't a very good speaker to be lecturing to sailors.  Our new chaplain will probably arrive by next Sunday. After Mass I came back to the barracks and I got to work immediately. I collected all my dirty clothes and washed them and hung them up to dry. With a washing machine it's simple. When we set up house a washing machine is going to be a must on our furniture list. After my laundry I turned to cleaning up my room. The other night I put up some Venetian blinds but I could still see the dirty glass on the windows so I got some Bon Ami a damp rag and got to work. It was hot and dusty and grimy out but I made it. After letting in the new light thru clean windows the woodwork seemed crummy so the wood work got a going over. That Bon Ami is tough on paint work but does a good job of cleaning. I also got in an hour of sunshine on my lily white body. I now have a blushing red all over my back and arms. I guess after a few more sun baths like today I'll probably manage to work up a tan before I get home on leave. I think I'll take an hour each day at noon when the sun is hottest. I'll try my best to darken up a bit before I get home but I can't figure out if it will be a tan or a well done burn. In either case I won't be white. 

While sorting out my mail last night I discovered a letter that I had written to you but forgot to mail. I don't know when I wrote it or how long it's been overdue but I sent it along nevertheless. I'll have to be more careful about my letters from now on. I usually mail them in the morning before I go to work or at night if I have something to do in the section of the barracks where the mail box is located. If you get a letter that's a little old this will explain the situation I hope. 

I didn't go to the show tonight for a change. 'Carnival in Costa Rico' is the show and from the previews it's strictly a travelogue in color with a few songs. I can afford to miss it I guess. 'Duel in the Sun' is downtown today and tonight but I don't think that it will be as good as its cracked up to be. My buddy ventured down to see it so I'll get the report on it. From press releases it's been toned down to suit the censors but I don't know if the Legion of Decency has passed on it as yet. 

Well tomorrow starts another work week and I only hope that it rolls along as fast as the past few have. I may get my chance to get a night job at the docks this week if the ships ever get up the nerve to come in. I've been anticipating a chance to work for a few weeks now so maybe my opportunity has arrived at long last. The ships have been due for a long while but I guess they must have lost their way and couldn't find this spot on the Gulf. 

Well I have only 50 days to wait until I get my leave and get home to you. I'm looking forward to it so very, very much because I miss you so very very much. You are on my mind all day and night and if I don't see you soon I'll go mad with loneliness for you. I have never loved or wanted or missed anything or anybody so much in my whole life so I must have these days weeks and months go by very swiftly. I guess I had better close out for now until tomorrow. I was going to write to my mother tonight but it's a little too late to write now. I'll do it tomorrow for sure. If I don't write this week prior to Mother's Day she will think I've forgotten her  completely. I love you honey with all of my heart and I miss you dreadfully. Please take care of yourself. 
All of my love to you
God bless you
Always 
John x"









"6 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

Hello again, my sweet. Tonight is my duty night and I'm slightly on edge at the moment trying to make sure all the watches are taken care of. If someone doesn't show up I'm the man that they will come to get to fill the gap. So far so good. I think that I'll be able to get a good night's sleep again. I'm still keeping tabs on my leave and from my figures I have it cut down to 48 days but by the time you receive this a few more days can then be subtracted. The days are going by pretty good and I hope that they keep up the good work. It will be like a new world just being with you once again.

I did very little again today only walking hither and yon spending a little time here and there. It makes the day move along at a faster rate and also eases my nerves. If I have to sit down doing nothing I get jumpy and fidgety so up I get and move around taking in the sights such as they are. Every shop looks alike almost the only difference being the people who work in them. I got a letter from you today also for which I am quite thankful as your mail keeps my morale high and makes me feel good all over. I also managed to burn myself a little more today but it doesn't hurt. While I was sunning myself I picked up a magazine and read a story on how the Secret Service caught up with Al Capone. I became so interested I overstayed my time and as a result I think I'll take a rest tomorrow noon instead of a sun bath. I'm not tanning but I am getting a lot of different colors on me but crimson is the most prominent at the present time. Oh me. I'll keep trying though. Maybe by the time I get home I will have succeeded to a reasonable degree. I hope so anyway. I've been reading the sport pages and the weather must be really rough up around home. I hope that it clears up. 

I better get down to your letter now as nothing much of interest is happening around here. I'm glad that you had a good time at the dance as I know how much you like dancing. I guess I'll have to reciprocate someday and develop a liking for it. I'll have to try it. Maybe because I don't get crazy over dancing is the fact that I'm too lazy. My job hunting I'm afraid is doomed to the dismal end that fate has created for it. Ships just aren't coming in so I can't give my muscles any exercise. I guess if things keep up like this I'll have to give my brain a little exercise and study something useful for a change. I haven't made up my mind yet as to what line I'll study but it will be something I like. When I get out I'm not sure yet what I'll do but I'll get a job somewhere until I can get settled and then look for something good and permanent.

When I go home on leave I'll dig around for something along a Civil Service line.  I'm not set yet but I'll keep thrashing it out down here. Right now all I want is to get out of the Navy and back to you. If I get any ideas I'll let you know. As for the roller skating rink it was just an idea that's all. Nothing more has been said or done about it although it's a good idea. 

Well honey I'll close out for now until I write again tomorrow. I love you with all of my heart and I miss you an awful lot. 
All of my love to you
God Bless you
Always     John x"









"7 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

After another day at the usual grind I am writing to you once again. This week is half gone now and it's rolling by at a very good pace so I'm hoping that it keeps up. That leaves only 47 days until my leave so the time is rolling by pretty fast indeed. I'm looking forward to my leave very very much and just being with you will do my heart a world of good believe me. I'm not the only lonely heart down here as I have found quite a few chiefs who are caught in the middle. They have families, some large and some small and since they can't get a home down here they are separated just as we are. They also just came in from sea duty. They are waiting and waiting with nothing in sight. I know how they feel and that's why I'm getting out. There are a mess of guys getting out of the Navy but the old timers with twelve or more years are sticking it out. In eight years they can retire so why get out, is the why they figure it. I'll get out as I'm as high as I can get in this Navy so I'll try something else. Since I made chief I've been stagnating doing nothing and accomplishing less. The only thing I'll get in this lash up is a position where I'll do less and I don't want that. 

I got more sun on me today and I can see myself changing color gradually but certainly. All I hope is that I don't overdue it and blister. Just a little a day, every day, I figure will do the trick and since I have plenty of time to accomplish my goal. Wish me luck!

I met a kid I was with at Willow Grove. He is down here in a ferry outfit that flies these planes that we overhaul all over the country. He gets up to Philly pretty often. He told me to look him up before I go on leave and I may be able to get to Philly for nothing if my luck is good. I won't trust to luck though because I'll keep my airline reservations until I'm positive of any hops via Navy. Speaking of airlines I heard an advertisement by Eastern Airlines form Houston putting over the word that they fly jobs from Houston to New York in eight hours so I'm going to try to make arrangements from here to hit that flight. If I do I will be able to get home in less than twelve hours with luck. I went to the show tonight and saw 'Dark Dilema' with James Craig. Another one of those pictures about psychologists and people who have problems. It wasn't bad but after seeing 'Spellbound' and a few imitations I'm getting the idea that I should be a psychologist(?) also. It looks simple enough. Last night I saw the 'Brennan girl' a picture about a wayward girl who brought up in a very poor environment goes to Church once and turns out to be wonderful. It don't make sense. Oh well, if they made sense I guess no one would go to see them as good sense is too difficult to swallow and reality is something no one ... wants to face it. 

I got two letters from you today honey so I'm happy as usual. It's wonderful to hear from you and your letters are coming in at a very steady pace. Please keep it up honey as I love to hear from you. Your letters were written Saturday and Monday so you missed Sunday. I forgive you. What are you doing babysitting getting experience? It always helps. I remember a couple of nights that I went baby sitting with you but our luck was good and we didn't hear any bawling all night. That was a break. 

I guess when you are awaiting our Saturday phone call you are as nervous and as restless as I am. I don't budge for nothing or anybody till I get word that I'm wanted on the phone then I run like mad for the phone booth. God help anyone who gets in my way as they are mowed down like ten-pins. I guess I have a one track mind as far as you are concerned. 

As far as your smoking is concerned I'm in a fog I fear. One day you tell me that your progress is good and the next day you tell me you are quitting. I'm hoping for the latter but if smoking makes you happy go ahead and smoke. I still can't figure out why you feel out of place by not smoking when you go out with a crowd. I personally will never get accustomed to you smoking as you never appeared to me to be the smoking type. As for the 'Jolson Story' we'll have to see that again if we have to go to Kiwash to the show. I'll never forget that picture, ever. Every time I hear the songs from the show I wonder mentally to the land of memories and reminisce as only I can reminisce. It's too bad every body doesn't take time out once in a while to recall happy happy times. 

Speaking of happy days, Rita and Hannie are having theirs now but we  will have ours later and plenty of them I promise you. I'll do anything to make you happy so I agree with you, we should be terrifically happy together. 

I want you to check and restrain me when I come up with some crazy and outlandish idea as I'm at that stage in my career when I'm full of crazy ideas that never leave the category of an idea. With nothing better to do all day I think up ideas that are really beauts. I'm not nuts, I'm sure of that, but some of my ideas would make people think so. If some of my ideas and dreams were realistic I'd be a millionaire or wealthy man many times over by now. It keeps me happy and since it's doing nobody any harm including me I guess it's all right. Since I got two letters from you today I doubt if I'll get one from you tomorrow so I'll leave your other letter go and answer it tomorrow night. Since nothing usually happens down here I'll need the letter for inspiration. I had better close out for now or I'll be charged extra for defrauding the government. Another page and this is liable to turn into a book. I miss you like mad honey and I'm hoping and praying that the days roll along very fast for us so that we can be together once again. If they keep going at this rate it should be here pretty soon. I'll close out for now honey and I'll write again tomorrow. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I miss you terribly.
All of my love to you
God Bless you
Always
John x"












"8 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

I guess I called my shot last night. I didn't receive any mail from you today but your two letters yesterday compensated for it. Since I didn't answer both of them last night I still have one to answer so I'm not out of inspiration as yet. Today was a rather slow day, dull and hot.  I followed my routine as usual so it didn't take too long in passing. I got a little more sun on my lily white anatomy and all I have to show is a slight pinkish hue. It's something though and as long as I don't burn and blister I'll consider any color a success in my quest for a tan. My arms are getting dark as I walk around with my sleeves rolled up all day. With time on my side I guess I'll succeed. Before I go any farther I'd like to tell you that we are having an inspection this Saturday morning and I'm only hoping that it's over - before you call. If you called and I was at inspection and missed out I'd pull my hair out and the Captains's hair also. If you get this letter Saturday morning as I'm hoping call a little later than usual as these inspecting jokers usually take their time about formal affairs. I planned to tell you earlier in the week but it slipped my mind completely. I'm hoping that the mail comes thru again.

Everyone one is on edge down here sweating out Congressional appropriations for the Navy and trying to determine whether this base is going close up or not. Everyone hopes for a closing so I'm keeping my fingers crossed until it happens. If I can go East they can close it but if it means going West once again they can keep it open indefinitely. Well I'll move over now and answer your letter. I figure I discussed your cigarette smoking last night so I won't being it up tonight although I hate to see you getting sick from it all. Maybe you will learn. If you're going to buy me a tie for Father's Day please don't buy one as loud as the one that I bought for myself. When I bought it the colors appealed to me but after looking at it for several days it began to scare me.

I'm glad that you got over to see my folks as they like to have you over there with them. I would have loved to have been with you. I haven't seen Nora King for almost ten years so I'd be a welcome guest in my own home displaying my newly acquired wife to my long missing relatives. It would have been swell and I would indeed have been as proud as a peacock. Those arguments have been going on in that house ever since I can remember and I guess they will continue to go on until someone loses their voice. I think the house would fall down if it wasn't bolstered by a good nightly argument. You should hear the racket when there are about five or six people arguing at the same time over a dozen different subjects. My mother used to go nuts with the racket but she got used to it over the years. Stephen I'm afraid would pull his hair out if he ever got tangled up in one of these debates as everyone has his own viewpoint and won't change it one way or the other. I guess my mother will go mad with the kittens. I remember when we were kids the house was always full of kittens and what a mess they created. Joe is all set I guess now that he has the car but I guess the reason he doesn't want to drive is due to the fact that his junk heap keeps breaking down on him. If Hannie or Mary have any ideas fore warn them that they may have to get out and push. I wrote home and asked to have the car for a while during my leave. I haven't had a reply as yet but it will work out all right. I was looking thru Sundays Post and whose face do I see but M'mselle O'Hara selling a couple of tickets to some joker. Now that it will enable her to sell tickets I guess she will come out of her self imposed seclusion. Don't pay her any heed or notice when she does come out as I'm going to read her up and down if I ever see her again. I won't go out of my way to see her but if we ever cross paths she will certainly remember it always. 

I'll close for now honey until tomorrow as usual. I love you with all my heart and soul and I miss you so very very much. Time is flying by so we shall be together soon. 
All of my love to you
Good Bless you
Always 
John x

P.S. Did you quit smoking?
46 days to Leave"





I wonder what happened with Rita O'Hara that my father is so mad? Rita told me several years ago that she was not invited to my mother and father's wedding but never knew why - her parents went - Rita and my father were cousins. I suppose we will never know now. 






"9 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

Another work week has ended but I'm hot and heavy at the job of preparing for Captain Inspection tomorrow. I just ended the task of shining my shoes so I'm all set I think. I'm hoping for rain as I don't want to stand out in the hot sun for a couple of hours while 'his nibs' gives us a once over. It's an awful waste of time for all concerned but when the old boy wants to look us over there isn't anything that we can do but comply. I hope that he has a golfing date so that he will be in a rush to get thru with it all. My main concern is to be on hand here in the barracks to receive your phone call. If I miss that I'll curse every one in general. They have removed all the watch standers that we had in our barracks so I'll have to hold a vigil on the phone myself. I guess the powers that be must have given up on playing nursemaid to the chiefs down here. I never saw nor have I ever been with a more sloven and unkempt bunch of guys in my whole Navy career. They are too lazy to live I think, and they are so chagrined if some seaman doesn't come in and make up their bed every morning. The whole trouble with them is that because they are chiefs they have the opinion that they are little tin gods who everyone should cater to. I've never heard so much complaining and griping over little unimportant things. They remind me of a bunch of young spoiled brats accustomed to having their own way and when someone scolds them the world is against them. I can stand it though as I pay no attention to their complaints. Anything that I ever got I got by myself so I don't owe them a thing. Do I sound as though I'm griping? I'm not but I'm just trying to show you what I have to put up with all day long.

I got a letter from you this afternoon although for a while I was afraid that I was going to miss out. The afternoon mail came through in time to make my day complete. I won't receive any more mail now until Monday so I'll have a long dry pause. Your phone call though will fill the gap I'm sure and the sound of your voice will raise my morale to a new high once again. The poor creature that invented writing and the telephone made one of the greatest contributions to maintaining human sanity than any other man on earth. Without either means of communications I'm afraid that I'd be totally insane about now. I miss you so very very much that at times I fear that the time remaining until my leave will never pass although I do know that it is rolling by at a rapid steady pace. It's my nerves I'm afraid. Today being the last day of the working week it won't slow as you could expect that it would. I read 'Time' magazine all afternoon so that used up quite a bit of time. Only six weeks remain in the interim until my leave so it's really not too far away. I'm counting the days and marking them off on a calendar. I'm constantly being tempted to cheat and cross off a couple of extra days but it doesn't show a profit. I would sooner wait a few days and cross off two or three days at a time. this coming week will be eventful as it will mark the month half gone, besides bringing on payday once again. I look forward to each week to see what event I can locate to count on but events are few and far between. Today the ninth of May constitutes the third month of our marriage but with Mothers Day we will make it one big weekend. I only wish that I could be home with you kid. It's something that I'm looking forward to with all my heart and might and I hope with the help of fleeting time that my desires and wishes will be realized soon. I'm not going to answer your letter tonight but will do so over the weekend when I'll be without mail to build up inspiration. By the time you receive this letter you will have received my card and roses. I hope that you like them. If you have a favorite flower that you would like me to send to you on special occasions please let me know and I'll be only too willing to comply with your wishes. I'll close out for now and get some rest so that I'll look presentable to the old boy tomorrow. I love you with all my heart and soul honey and I'd give anything to be home to stay.
All of my love to you
God Bless you
Always
John x"










"10 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

I'm taking time out now between curses and damnations to write to you tonight. The curses and damnations are for the skipper and all the other powers that be for making me miss your phone call. If you could only have held off for fifteen or thirty minutes I would hav been able to make it. Immediately after inspection I ran up here shed my clothes and headed for the phone to await your call. On the way the chief who occupies this room with me told me that I had a note on my bunk. To my dismay I learned that you had called during inspection and I almost died from disappointment. I'll be waiting in anticipation tomorrow though, you can count on that. I'm getting up early and I'm going to an early Mass so that I'll have all day to wait if need be. I wanted to talk to you so much, not that I have anything really important to tell you except that I love you and miss you so very very much. Just to hear your voice will give me a boost and conversing with you will do me a world of good. I hope now that you can get thru all right, if not I'm afraid the captain will be hump backed from all the curses that I have placed on him and will continue to do so if our call can't get thru. It's the only bright spot of the whole week for me and being denied my weekly moments of happiness and joy doesn't make me like these people down here any better. The inspection was, as I've told you before on a few occasions, a waste of time for all the parties concerned  but these high gold being vain characters they must go thru with it to satisfy their ego. I've marched in review and honestly I've seen better marching and precision watching a herd of goats or cattle being driven to market. I've never seen a sailor yet who went in for drilling and marching and just watching a review really brings out their disgust for it all. If any army officers ever saw these reviews they would die in horror but such is Navy life. I didn't do a blessed thing today only lay around. It's cloudy and windy so I couldn't even get a little sunshine, I am reading 'Grapes of Wrath' by John Steinbeck so that will probably take up the slack. For the past few hours my buddy was telling me how he was getting rich in China before the war. Too bad that I wasn't with him as I'd probably be a millionaire now. They used to buy Japanese money in Shanghai and turn it in at Tokyo for a profit of three or four hundred percent. They bought two or three hundred bucks worth of Japanese dough in China ad turned it in at the Bank of Japan for par value of about a thousand. Nice profit! I guess I'm getting money mad. He was telling me what a sap he was then in not holding onto it. He was only a kid then and didn't know any different. He does now. 

As usual there is nothing developing down here so I think I'll read over you last letter for some inspiration. If you keep talking to Gin and learning all the worries and pitfalls of married life you should be well prepared for our future years. There is no better way of learning than by becoming conscious of someone else's mistakes and experiences. Since I joined this Navy that's all I've ever heard marriage and its worries. Nine out of ten turn out to be monetary as they find it difficult to make both ends meet quite often. By saving my money for the past couple of years I may be able to overcome that hurdle. I hope so anyway. 

I guess the housing situation is still pretty light and it will continue that way until prices come down. Houses are plentiful but the prices are terrific all over. Down here there are plenty of houses to buy but the prices are robbery. They want anywhere from eight to twelve thousand dollars for four and five room houses without cellars. They look like a match box with a coat of paint. Only the really desperate people are buying and assuming the worries. I'm afraid if the buyer reluctance keeps up the contractor builders are going to get stuck with them. I'm counting on the situation to ease up by the time I get home, if it doesn't I'm afraid I'll sprout a few more grey hairs figuring out what to do. I don't want to impose on your family nor do I want to rely on my own, we'll make our own way somehow or other. When I get out I'll have to play my cards tight and close to my chest for a while to see how things are going and in which direction.

To me it makes little difference where we live just as long as we can be together and be happy. Speaking of weather at nights' down here when the moon is changing it's really wonderful and romantic like. Last week when the moon was full it was beauty and big as a balloon and I missed you and longed for you so very much. It kept up like that all week and it made me want to be home so very much. I guess I'm getting romantic in my old age at long last. I remember you used to ask me to be romantic but I never could seem to get about it. Now it's different I guess. When I get home you can tell me if I'm romantic or not and then I'll know if I'm making progress or not.  I'm hoping for a favorable report and if none is forthcoming I guess I'll have to try that much harder.

I'm very terribly glad that we are married honey and even though we are separated for the time being I am nevertheless very very happy. I've looked forward to it for so long and since it is now a reality things are so much different all over. I can plan and look ahead to the future with happiness and deep underlying love our objective. I'm thinking and trying to plan so much that I'm afraid I'll wind up grey from too much brain work. The whole trouble is that I can't put any plan into operation at present and I'm hoping that I'll remember them when I get home. 

To be with you always is my hope and dream all of the day and night and I'm counting the days and weeks until all wishes will be realized. I'll have to close out for now honey until tomorrow so please take care. 

I love you so much kid that I can't put it into words. A trillion scallions would approach it I think. I miss you dearly
All of my love always
God Bless you
John x"











"11 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

It's almost bedtime and a very happy day has passed away. Our phone call was short but I felt like a million just to talk to you.  I had been waiting for the call from the time I got back from Church. I went to the seven o'clock Mass, ate chow at Ship Service and then I hurried back. The downstairs phone was ringing all morning and every time that it would ring I'd jump up with anticipation. After looking thru the newspapers I decided to go upstairs and wait. I took Grapes of Wrath with me to bide the time and after two and a half hours you came thru. It was twelve thirty when I got your call and if you didn't call then I was going to wait until two o'clock our time. I figured that Hannie if she was working would get thru about then and no call would be forthcoming. As soon as the phone rang up I jumped and something told me that it was you. As soon as I heard Hannie's voice I was sure of it. I felt wonderful all over and settled back to a long conversation but I guess fate was working against us. I've been waiting patiently all week and when I missed out yesterday my patience took a jolt I'm afraid. Now that I have talked with you everything seems wonderful and I'm so very happy once again. I'll have the duty this coming weekend and9 I don't know if I'll have a watch or not. I'll just hope that luck will hold out and if you do manage to get the call through that I'll be here to receive it. I'm glad that you liked the roses that I sent to you for Mother's Day. As I said over the phone they are an anniversary and Mothers Day bouquet. Toward the end of the month I'll probably send you some more for our sixth anniversary. They have been six lovely, wonderful years and I love you more and more each and every year.  I heard 'Sweet Sixteen' this afternoon right after you called and it was beautiful. I dropped everything leaned back and took it all in, every blessed note. I went to the show tonight and saw the 'Macomber Affair' with Gregory Peck. It was pretty good. It prepared him for Duel in the Sun I guess as his part was the $3 man in a triangle. Friday night I saw Bel Ami with George Sanders. It was good also. It's the story of a scoundrel so it says and it really is different. He certainly portrayed a rough woman handler and since he believed in variety he gave them all a treat. Well honey I have to close out for now as it's getting late, and I have to put out the light so the other guy can sleep. Please take care of yourself. I love you very very much and I miss you with all my heart.
All of my love to you
God Bless you 
Always
John x"









"12 May 1947

My dearest darling Ellen,

I received a letter from you today and also one from the Vet Bureau. The letter from you I appreciated and the one from the Vets Bureau was just a reminder that you are now beneficiary to my insurance in case anything happens to me. I told you about the change as soon as I got here so this letter today was merely a confirmation of the change. Nothing will happen to me so I don't think you will ever get the benefit of it all thank the Lord, but insurance is good to have nevertheless. 

Speaking of insurance at this time seems quite morbid so I'll change the subject. Today was hot and sticky and I put in a tiring day. Doing nothing as usual. I made the time roll by though as I finished 'Grapes of Wrath.' It was undoubtedly the earthiest book that I've ever read and after seeing and being with these Okies the book seemed factual and kind of explanatory for their actions. They are a queer lot, these Okies, and I guess the Army and Navy will be their home for some time to come. At least they get enough to eat and live like human beings. I don't know what I'll read tomorrow, if nothing turns up I guess I'll parade around until it's time to quit. My inspirations are at a low ebb tonight. I guess the heat and humidity have sapped my strength and inspirations. I'll turn to your letter now and see what thoughts I can develop from it. I guess this mail situation is the same all over with its dry days and then a deluge of mail all at once. 

I'm writing every day and I shall continue to due so until I run out of strength. You just write when you have time provided that it's quite frequently. I won't resort to not writing if you slip up every now and then as you have something to keep you going while all I do is dream and think and wait for my leave to come around. It won't be long now and I hope that the days fly by like mad. As for coming home in uniform I'll comply with your wishes and do so if that is what you want. I was going to come home in some sort of outfit other than Navy.

I guess I can dig up what I need at home and a lot cheaper than down here. I'll try to wear my greens home. I don't know if I can get out the gate in them but I'll get out somehow another. Anything to please my lady fair. It will seem like a new world to get home to you for awhile and let all of this drudgery go along its miserable way. I miss you like mad but I'm managing to hold out somehow or the other but I'll never be satisfied until I'm home to stay.

It will indeed be a dream and a wish come true and I'm hoping that it's soon. I'll have to close for now honey until tomorrow when I shall write once again. I love you with all of my heart and soul
All my love to you 
God Bless you
Always
John x" 










"13 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

Today was a very happy day indeed for me though it didn't start off too well. I started off the day by checking on my leave once again. Our Wave who takes care of the clerical work is on leave so I saw the Chief in charge of the Division about it. I could have fallen through the concrete floor when he told me that I wasn't on the leave list. I almost had a stroke. I explained to him about the leave writing me up for June 23 but I couldn't do no good. Finally we compromised on the whole thing and instead of going on leave the 23 June I will leave on the twenty-eighth a Saturday. It's really when I wanted to go on leave from the start but the set back shocked me at first. Now we will be together from the start as you are getting your leave about the first of July as it was I would have a week at home waiting for you to come from work. It's all straightened out now and only a catastrophe will stop me. I promise you.

I got two letters from you today honey and I feel wonderful. They built my hopes and spirits to a new high after the fright that I had this morning. I'll have to give that Wave a thorough going over when she returns from leave. I got some sunshine today but I'm afraid I may have overdone it this time. I sat out in the sun for an hour at noon reading a magazine and I have a very red back and shoulders as a result. It doesn't hurt but it has a tight drawn feeling and I'm only hoping that it doesn't blister. If it does I'll have to start all over again. I'm afraid my efforts will eventually wind me up in the hospital with burns but I'll keep it up nevertheless. Now that I have so much I'll have  to take a few days rest to let this wear off a bit. Since I have two letters to answer I had better get to them now while I have the paper. For the first time since I can't remember when, I'm running out of paper instead of envelopes. I can't seem to understand it. Your letters were written Saturday and Sunday and were nice and long and interesting as usual. I'm glad that you received everything together, the card and flowers I mean as I tried to work it that way. Sometimes it works out other times it doesn't. I guess it all depends on how the luck is running. I ordered the flowers last time I was in town and instead of telegraphing they were air mail specials. They send the order and all the important information by mail instead of telegram with a saving of about a dollar. I'm glad that you like roses as they are my favorites. I'm not a gardner so my knowledge of flowers is limited to but a few and roses are the best and nicest of the few that I know. I guess when we get settled down I'll have to take up gardening as a hobby and then I'll be able to present you with flowers each and every day. The card was a selection that I used pains on as I wanted something nice with a good verse also. I'm glad you liked my taste as it's encouraging to know that I am improving. I'm trying to figure out the next event that I have to look forward to now that Mothers day has passed. I'll think up something. If you were unhappy about not contacting me Saturday you should have seen me. I was mad at the world in general and I felt like a deserted pup. It's a good thing that I got the note as I'd probably be still sitting in front of that telephone waiting for your call until you did call Sunday afternoon. Now that the phone call has finally been made I feel very very much better. I'm glad that your mother liked the card that I sent her. I couldn't possibly have overlooked her as she has really been very wonderful to me and to us. She is a very wonderful person whom I admire and respect very very much and anything that I can ever do for her will never be enough. She is wonderful. 

I'm counting the months that we have been married and I kick myself because we aren't together. I'll be so awful glad when all of this separation is over and done with and we can be together always. It seems like a dream right now but it won't be for long and then we can really knuckle down to live like a married couple should live. At present I'm afraid we shall be forced to rely on my leaves. When I get home on leave we shall do anything that your little heart desires. If you want to go parking down by the river nights that's exactly what we will do as often as you like and whenever you like. I'm only wondering if the cops will chase us away like they used to do. If I was the cop and I saw the car parked  there so long and so often I'd take it as a permanent fixture and overlook it. Love will out I maintain. 

I think that I'll have to put that car in my private museum as the two of us certainly spent an awful lot of time in it parking & traveling around. I don't know if it was the car or me but one of us had a very poor sense of direction on many occasions especially when we headed somewhere and never did arrive at our destination. I still can't remember where we went half of the time but it was fun anyhow. I'll have to close out for now honey but I'll write again tomorrow as usual. I love you with all my heart and I miss you so very, very much.
All of my love to you
God Bless & love you
Always
John x"










"14 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

Hello once again. I didn't receive any mail from you but your two letters yesterday will carry me over until I receive your next one. This week is now half over so time is moving along at a pretty good pace. I'll not complain about it now just to see how it moves when I give it very little thought and worry.  We have only 45 days to wait now until we can be together again for a while and that leave will never get here soon enough. Rumors are flying and the chiefs are cursing so the day wasn't dull. The rumors are in regard to this disposition of this situation. From the way they have it, unofficial of course, this outfit is due to move to Pensacola Florida sometime in the future. I won't believe it until it's in black and white and declared official by the powers that be. I'm only hoping that it's true as I'll be much nearer to you then and that will be wonderful. I'll keep you informed if anything develops. As far as the chiefs are concerned, they learned that tonight that they will have to stand their own barracks watch. You should hear them scream about it. I personally don't care as I haven't anything else to do. It was like throwing a bomb in their midst as they have been growling and chattering about it all night. They will get over it eventually but like everything else in the Navy it never meets with approval. It will do them a world of good I think and let them realize that they aren't 'untouchables' as so many of them feel that they are. I've been talking to one of the Navy Transport Pilots tonight trying to get some information as to air travel back East on a Navy transport plane. They have regular hops running as far as Washington D.C. I'll have to look into it and maybe I can save a couple of hundred dollars. I'll let you know about that situation also.

Tomorrow is pay day so I'll have at least one happy moment during the day. If I receive a letter from you my joy will be doubled. I haven't any extras due this time so I think I'll be able to find out how much I'm making per month. I could find out by going to the pay officer but it's too much effort and inconvenience. I would be forced to change from dungarees, my working uniform into a set of khakis to enter the sacred portals of the pay officer. It isn't worth it. As long as I'm not cheated it is okay.

I guess Mothers Day calls kept Hannie pretty busy last Sunday but the short time that we did have made me very happy indeed. It pulled me out of the dumps. I miss you an awful lot kid and at times I get desperate when I see the time going so slow. It seems slow anyway. I wish that something would happen to reunite us for good. I guess Cynthia is getting big enough now to give you a workout chasing her around and keeping her out of harms way. Maybe someday you will be guardian of your own flock instead of a temporary custodian of your niece. I'm hoping so anyway.

I guess I told you about my sunburn the one I got yesterday. It was flaming red but it's only a heavy pink now. I didn't attempt to get any today, leaving well enough alone. I only hope that it stays with me until I get home because the way that it's going now its here today and gone tomorrow. Here's hoping. This will be the first vacation that I've spent with you in years and I'm looking forward to it very very much. Just to be with you is all that I want and after being away from you for so long I feel as though the world and everyone else is cheating us. Our only obstacle now is time but right now that obstacle seems insurmountable. After my leave is up, I hate to even think of it ending, the time shall roll by as it will be the final swing for me and my discharge will be almost within reach. It will be like the last hour in a long dead dreary day.

Do you remember when I told you that I was going to get a job on the docks, well I must have jinxed the place as no ship has come in here since. What a .... this is! Well honey I have to close for now but I'll write again tomorrow. I love you so very very much with all my heart and soul. I'm dying to get home to you once again, it's my only thought and desire. I miss you awful
All of my love to you
God Bless you
Always
John x"












"15 May 1947

My very dearest darling Ellen,

Today I was and still am very happy. I got a letter from you and one from my mother plus a check as compensation for my labors here in Texas. My financial situation is very good and will remain so from now on in. I have enough to get home now and after my next pay I'll have enough to get back also. It will ease the strain on our bank account if I pay my way from here instead of having to stand the strain from your end. Every thing is working fine down here so I haven't any worries as far as money is concerned. Outside of the mail and the pay check the day was a normal dull day but it went by reasonably fast so I can't complain about it. Tomorrow will end the week and only six weeks will remain until my leave falls due. Oh happy day, when that day finally arrives for me. I'm still scratching off the days on the calendar that is hanging in my room and also the one down in the shop but I can't scratch them fast enough.

The letter that I got from my mother let me in on the fact that I can use the car when I get home so that situation is all set I guess, all I have to do is get home now. From what she told me in the letter she made out wonderfully on Mothers Day with gifts galore from the whole tribe. My sister gave her a silver set so that she can put on the dog when company arrives at the ranch for a feed. Before I came into the Navy I bought her a huge set of dishes but I guess they are all broken by now since the family wasn't endowed with sets of sensitive fingers. I think they would break dishes if they were made out of cast iron. I sent her a card and flowers and she liked them a lot. It isn't very often that she gets flowers from a florist and when she does she likes them a lot. 

Joe Moore and Laura are the proud parents of a baby boy. Joe went on a drunk so I guess he is probably over all his joy now and can knuckle down to changing diapers and pacing the floor at night to keep his begotten cherub content and happy. I guess he'll really settle down now and get over that wild streak that is still left in him. I guess I'll have to wait and see what Tom and Edwina can produce or maybe they are being cautious and are waiting for us. If we don't get settled down soon I'd afraid that they will have a long wait. Now I'll get to your letter. I guess you are getting my mail like I'm receiving yours, in batches of two or three or none. As long as it arrives within a reasonable length of time everything will be fine indeed otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to commence cussing the mail dept. of this station or the Post Office in general. 

I didn't mind the wait at all last Sunday as talking to you if even for only a short time compensated fully for the wait. I'd do it over again and again. It's too bad that we won't be able to talk this weekend as I'll miss you terrifically but I guess I'll manage to hold out for another week until I hear from you once again. Let's hope that the week flies by for us. 

I'm glad that the weather is improving up there although I saw that it was 43 yesterday. If it gets that cold when I get home I'm afraid I'll freeze after all this heat down here. Freeze or no freeze I'm all set to go and all I have to hold me back is time. Usually time doesn't mean anything but at times like this it's an awful hindrance. As I said before I guess I'll just have to be patient. I'm going to sign off for tonight kid but 'll write again tomorrow. I miss you an awful lot and only wish that  I could be with you. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I will forever and ever.
All my love to you
God Bless you
Always
John x"










No comments:

Post a Comment