Saturday, April 20, 2013

Roll Call of the Early Moriartys of Loughane



This is the cabin in which my grandmother, Margaret Moriarty Keohane, was born. It is in Loughane which is part of the Glenlough Lower townland. Originally, it had a thatched roof and a dirt floor.

A Mormon microfilm told me that Michael Moriarty was renting Lots I and J in Glenlough Lower before 1872. There is no I or J in Griffith’s so I am not exactly sure where these 2 lots were – although I imagine they were some part of Uncle Mike’s holding.

My cousin Larry “John L” O’Sullivan, who now lives on the former Moriarty land in Loughane, pointed out where Michael Moriarty and his family lived.  You walk down the road toward Brennans’ (which is now Kevin O’Farrell’s – the multi-million dollar home in Loughane.)  The older homestead was where the new house is on the right of the dirt road. (It was built by Michael Connor from Ballinskelligs who is a relative of Johnny Murphy.)

When I started on this quest, I only knew the names of Ma’s parents and grandparents, and that she had an uncle who was a schoolmaster in Inch. Let’s see what I’ve found over the last 35 years!!

Michael Moriarty and Gubby Sweeney had at least 7 children and perhaps more. Let's do a roll call.

1) Mary Moriarty – remember that I found a listing for a Mary Moriarty who was baptized 15 February 1852 in Cahirdaniel – her parents were Michael Moriarty and Gobnet Sweeney of Reen. 
Her Godparents were Miles Moriarty and Mary Moriarty, and the priest was Reverend Dominic Walsh. The baptism was recorded in Book 2 for Cahirdaniel Parish. 

2) Myles Moriarty was born sometime around 1857. He married Ellen Leary from nearby Bohocogram – they had 5 children – James, Mary, Catherine, Nellie, and Margaret (my grandmother.) Myles Moriarty took over renting Loughane from his father in 1886.

3) Margaret Moriarty was born around 1858 and emigrated to the United States. I could find no listing on www.irishgenealogy.ie for Margaret, but I believe Michael Walsh was the Sneem parish priest at the time, and he was known not to keep complete or accurate records.

4) James Moriarty was baptized 29 January 1860 – his parents were listed as Michael Moriarty and Gobinet Sweeney of Sneem on www.irishgenealogy.ie.  His sponsors were John Moran and Hannah Burns. (I wonder who they are?)  No priest is listed in Sneem Book 2 Page 20. James went to Trinity College to train as a teacher and later became the schoolmaster in Inch. He married a Fitzgerald woman from that area, and they had 12 children.

I spoke of the schoolmaster earlier - Mike Shea of Loughane and Boston had sent my father to Foley's Pub in Inch in search of information about the scholmaster.




5) Cornelius “Con” Moriarty - I couldn’t find his baptism online either although there were several older Cornelius Moriartys. But I learned that Con emigrated to Newport, R.I.

6) Michael Moriarty was born 7 November 1865 according to Mormon records – (#0290 Sneem – Batch C701270 Source Call #0101119.) 

www.irishgenealogy.ie now (August 1 2023) has Michael Moriarty's civil birth record online. He is # 357 below - he was born 7 November 1865 in Glenlough, Sneem. His father was Michael Moriarty of Glenlough and his mother was Abigail Sweeney - his father was a farmer and was the informant. 





I found his baptismal record on www.irishgenealogy.ie for 4 November 1865. His parents were Michael Moriarty and Abigail Sweeney of Luchane in Sneem. His Godparents were James McCarty and Mary McCarty. No priest was recorded in Book 2 Page 8. Interesting that he was baptized before he was born!?!




7) Helen Moriarty was born 20 August 1868 per Mormon records (# 0289 Sneem - Batch C701366 Source Call #101174.) 

According to www.irishgenealogy.ie, Ellen Moriarty was born 20 August 1868 in Glanlough. Parents were Michael Moriarty of Glanlough and Gubby Moriarty - her father was a farmer - again he was the informant.





I found a baptismal record online at www.irishgenealogy.ie for Ellen Moriarty –born and baptized 23 August 1868 – parents Michael Moriarty and Gobinet Moriarty of Glenlough. Sponsors were James Casey and Honoria Sweeney. Ellen was baptized by Rev. T Davis who recorded the event in Sneem Parish book 2 page 99. Record identifier KY-RC-BA-434454.






Before we go any further with my great-grandfather, Myles Moriarty, why don’t we take a look at Myles’ brothers and sisters ...




No comments:

Post a Comment