Monday, April 29, 2013

The Schoolmaster - Quick Hello to Father Moriarty in Sneem

So Father Moriarty provided the low down on the Schoolmaster and his family in his two letters. The Moriarty Clan Tour of Ireland was a smashing success according to the September 1982 newsletter.   I was especially interested in the write up by Dan Morairty about the stop in Sneem.

"Our next visit with native Moriartys was at Sneem, the village with its different colored buildings. Una Moriarty O'Sullivan was waiting for us at the Sneem House with Bessie Moriarty and others. Unfortunately, Una's mother Maureen was ill and not able to meet us ( she is also the mother of Denis and Pat Moriarty of Indianapolis (Issue #15). After a delicious cup of hot coffee, we headed back to the bus where we were pleased to meet Mary Ellen Murphy of Watertown, Ma, on a vacation in Ireland, who made a special effort to see Father James of Chicago (see Issue #!5). Through the newsletter, they discovered they were related."

I was in Sneem with my son Danno when the tour bus arrived. I had planned to hang out at Loughane cross with a big welcome sign, but time got a way from me. We had been hanging in the South Square waiting for the bus. Of course, the minute we ran into Greta Drummond's B&B, the bus arrived. But we did manage to say hello to the tour group before they pulled out!

I didn't make the reception in Killarney - I can't remember why now. But Dan Moriarty wrote "That evening another reception was held at which we were honored by the presence of the Bishop of Kerry, Kevin MacNamara, along with His Honor the Mayor, Paudie O'Connor, both of whom extended welcomes and remarked how important it was for people to renew their links with their heritage, acquire new understanding of their pasts, and develop a greater respect for tradition.
Also with us was Canon Moriarty, honored with a position similar to monsignor. A dozen or more other Moriartys from Killarney, Cahirdaniel, Killorglin, and Waterford added to the joy of the evening ... In the hotel lobby later, Maura Moriarty, postmistress from Cahirdaniel, joined with the PJ & Mary Singers to thrill the crowd to a rendition of 'Are You There, Moriarty?' It was a perfect close to a very special evening." I wish I had been there!!




We will do quick detour shortly to talk about our cousin Maura Moriarty from Cahirdaniel. 

Several years after meeting Father Moriarty, I heard from his brother Thomas.  I think I was contacted by him in 1987 when I lived in Sneem - he was making a trip to Sneem then and was looking for directions to Loughane. The next time he contacted me he again wanted to contact my cousin Larry O'Sullivan in Loughane about a visit. He then wrote to me:

"June 10, 1994

Mrs. Mary Ellen Murphy
222 Main Street
Watertown, Mass. 02172

Dear Mary Ellen:
Thank you for your nice letter in response to my note regarding our upcoming trip to Ireland and my interest in the Moriarty Family heritage. I was surprised that my letter followed you from Sneem to Watertown so quickly.

I have been in touch with Florence Dweek - in fact, I was the one who suggested that she contact you. There is nothing that I have at the moment that confirms that her great-grandmother, Abigail Moriarty Burns, was a sister of Michael Moriarty.

Your recent findings of Ellen and Michael Moriarty (1865-1868) are interesting. Perhaps they could be part of the Moriarty branch that Father Edward Moriarty talks about.

Our Ireland trip has a tight schedule. We will have only two days in Sneem - August 6th and 7th - a Saturday and Sunday - so our research time in Sneem will be limited. We will stay at the Hillside Haven B&B, just outside of Sneem. Lorraine and I had the opportunity to see the old Moriarty homestead (now the O'Sullivan farm) in 1984 and 1987 - however, it will be an interesting experience for our children. I will drop Larry O'Sullivan a note advising of our visit - if you will phone him, that will be appreciated.

I will write letters to St. Michael's parish in Sneem and to the Annascaul-Inch parish in Dingle prior to our revival. Also, time permitting, I will do some research in Dublin prior to the Sneem portion.

Special thanks for your interest - I will keep you updated on any new information I secure.

Sincerely,

Thomas J. Moriarty
9836 S. Turner Avenue
Evergreen Park, Il 60642"


My last contact with the Chicago Moriartys was this letter from Thomas. They did take over publishing The Moriarty Clan newsletter when Dan Moriarty died.

"January 8, 1995

Mrs. Mary Ellen Murphy
222 Main Street
Watertown, Ma 02172

Dear Mary Ellen

Just a short updating report on our trip to Ireland and my genealogy project.

We had a fantastic trip - 3 of our children joined us and it was a great adventure. I had intended to spend some time in Sneem - but there just wasn't enough hours in the day. We did visit the old farm and spent about 2 hours with Larry and his wife. It was a moment in time for our children to look at the place where their Great-Grandfather was born.

I got some good information from my Aunt Nuala on the Moriarty Family as well as a look at the old family bible of my Grandfather. I also found out that the Irish government is placing all the old church records into computer files in order to improve genealogy research. Unfortunately, the Kerry project seems to be very slow in getting off the mark. So this is where I am at.

I am going to concentrate on bringing all the genealogy records from my Grandfather's Family (that's the School Master) up to the present time up to date. That is something that I can handle and should be finished in 6 months or so. I can then concentrate on the Moriarty Family prior to my Grandfather.

I would be very interested in learning the location where you got your data. Did you secure all of it from St. Michael's Church in Sneem - or were there other places? If you can give me this information, I will know where to concentrate my efforts. Also, any statistical information you have will be helpful/

I will send you a copy of the research on my Grandfather's Family when it is finished.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Tom

Tom Moriarty 9836 S. Turner Avenue
Evergreen Park, Il 60642"





No comments:

Post a Comment