Thursday, December 1, 2022

1944 April to May

April 7, 1944 Adolf Hitler suspended all laws in Berlin and made Joseph Goebbels the sole administrator of the city.

Meanwhile we start off this section of our family history with a letter with no date - the envelope is stamped April 11, 1944 so I presume it was written April 10?


"Monday

My dearest Ellen,

It appears as though I am keeping my word or at least I am making a good attempt anyway. Well as is quite obvious, or is it, I have returned safely altho a bit tired. No! I didn't run into a talkative woman just the opposite. I ran into one that didn't so much as say 'hello.' When I left you to get on the train I was shut out as far as seats were concerned so I sort of engineered my way forward towards the engine. It turned out to be a real good move as the profits were well worth it. They unhooked the engine and backed four empties in to accommodate the crowd - in no time I was reclining comfortably in a nice soft seat and I mean soft. It was extremely comfortable considering the other cars. Some woman sat down beside me but didn't say a word which made me happy considering my run homeward bound. I promptly fell sleep and remained so till I hit New York. By the time I arrived at Philly I was wide awake and have felt good all day. The effects are creeping up now as I am ready for my sack.

The boys around here seem to be all right although they are complaining of all the egg nog they drank. It seems that is the favorite drink down around these parts around Easter. Quite a few went to Atlantic City and had a real good time. 

I have no regrets as I had a good time at home my only regret being a steady drowsiness that keep creeping over me. I figure the train ride with no sleep brought it on. Next time I'll do better I hope. I have no dope on my leave yet but here's hoping. 

Please excuse the writing as I'm using my bunk for a table ------------

Love always

John -----

PS I intend to keep up this writing ------------"







"April 18, 1944

My dearest Ellen,

It seems that again I've slipped behind in my correspondence but I guess I'll improve slowly. I received a letter from you today and you seemed to be in a very very good frame of mind. Please keep it up my dear as that's when I like you most of all. Right now I am a weary boy. Today I did a terrific days work for a change and after chow spent two hours running around playing ball. I've been doing it off and on now for almost a week but I still stiffen up. Right now I'm leg weary but with a good nights sleep I know I'll go along all right. I forgot to mention the fact that I also did a big washing to top it off. With me it appears its 'all or nothing at all.' (closing till morning lights going out) Well I've finally returned  - its now noon Wednesday and I've returned from chow to finish this letter. In your letter you referred to time passing by but you'll never realize just how fast it whizzes? by down here. I've been here now since Oct 10 a matter of of over six months and it seems as though it has been about six weeks. That's the way it goes it seems when one is contented and satisfied. I've no hurries and not too many worries and the one shift a day makes every thing very lovely. 

As for bowling my athletic accomplishments haven't reached into that field as yet. They use the big ball down here and I think that you would hardly be able to lift it never mind rolling it. Its all they use around here. I guess the only place they use candle pins is in around Boston. As for your pictures do rush them along as I'd really like to see them. My glasses sort of have me in a whirl. I got to see if I got galamore. (quiet)

As for my picture I'll have it taken soon and then I'll send it too you. I'm working on a deal where I may get one done for nothing here's hoping anyway.

I suppose Rita has gone high hat now and the stories she'll tell should take a prize. I wonder if she's been out with any ambassadors yet? Well enough for now. Incidentally Joe thought you were very nice and so was I and he wants to know if I can lend him ten. What a grafter.

Love Always

John

Excuse small envelope but they rob us here - 50 sheets about 10 envelopes." 








"April 25 1944

Tuesday

My dearest Ellen,

Again I am overdue in my correspondence but will endeavor to catch up during the week coming.

I hope you haven't as yet caught spring fever nor haven't been caught in these terrific showers that come pouring down just as you get out of the house. Its been really springish around here lately. The sun shines beautifully and then 'whamo' the clouds blacken and a deluge starts only to return to beautiful sunshine again in about an hour. Its really a guessing game with Ol' Mother Nature the inquisitor and the poor feeble weather man undertaking the role of the befuddled 'Quiz Kid.' Its so bad here we call flight clearance to find out the weather and its always just the opposite to what they say. They tell you its clear out and it pouring cats and animals. These local breaks here drive them crazy. They predicted our past weekend to be stormy and overcast. It was. 
Five of us went to upstate to Allentown and Easton for the weekend and had the time of our lives. It was really swell. You can imagine the circumstances when you are the only sailors in a town that I'd put in a class with - Waltham I guess would be it. I think its bigger than Waltham but not very much.  Its about sixty miles upstate from where we are and about eighty miles out of Philly. We made it bumming in about an hour and a half which was real good. After all it takes us a little over an hour to get to Philly.

We got there late in the afternoon and checked into a hotel that was the cleanest hotel I've ever ran into. Every thing was terrific. Plenty of people and plenty of fun. Saturday night we went to every spot, high and low, in town and wound up at the armory out here dancing to the strains of Sonny Dunham. It was the first time I'd ever danced to his music as a band leader but we danced to his music at the Totem Pole when he was with Glen Gray. Remember? I kept thinking about it all night. Sunday nite we went to a Polish club - *. Some gal about 30 years old and a ton high, (they measure by the ton don't they,) latched onto me and almost killed me teaching me some kind of polka. She rushed jerked stomped and pounded me into submission. I still can't polka and after that terrific lesson I don't think I really ever want to. I didn't drink over the weekend  not even sociably. I spent about a million on food which was really good - the food the best I've ever had. Steaks chops steaks liver steaks etc. 

Last night I recuperated as best I could but who knows maybe I am permanently injured and don't know it. My feet feel as flat as a board and I have a few unaccountable bruises. But I must say it was really a swell time and I am looking forward to going back again. The people are splendid. Two of the fellows I was with were Polish and one Italian and poor little me an Irish boy from way back. Of about a hundred people in the hall I was the only Irish person but that didn't make any difference. I met a Polacki who knows some Irish songs ? (well Irish rose Irish eyes are Smiling) and he sang them to me in Polish. I sounded good and although he taught me them I couldn't learn them. 

The next morning, Monday we got a ride right to the door. I'll have to slow down so as to pull thru.

Well got to work now so take it easy 

Love as always

John"











Re the Totem Pole, the website - https://www.mmone.org/totem-pole-ballroom/ - explains:

"beginning in the spring of 1930, the park (Norubega Park in Auburndale, Ma) was also the site of the Totem Pole Ballroom, a premier musical venue of its time, whose stage featured swing bands and big bands alike that were revered by many and enjoyed by patrons from across the Boston area and beyond. Considered America’s most beautiful ballroom at the time, people came for relaxation, listening to great music, and of course dancing. Virtually every famous swing band in the country appeared at The Totem Pole including Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Harry James, the Dorsey Brothers, Gene Krupa, Guy Lombardo, and Frank Sinatra. Music from the ballroom was broadcast locally over WNAC Boston and nationally over the NBC, ABC and CBS networks.

"Originally an open-air theatre, which limited its use to only good weather conditions, The Totem Pole was eventually closed in and converted to a ballroom with three separate dance floors.  The main stage featured two totem poles, one each to the left and right of the stage which obviously led to name of the infamous venue ...

"There was no drinking allowed and no erratic behavior. Men wore suits and ties and women stocking and dresses.  Admission was only $1.75.  However, beginning in 1940 the rules got more restrictive and you could only go there as a couple.  This was in response to more men going there stag to see the bands perform and crowding around the stage which left couples less room for dancing ... 

"When you were not dancing, for a mere fifty cents you could reserve a two-person loveseat and for a dollar a four-person sofa—comfortable gray velvet couches with high sides for privacy where couples might be able to steal a kiss or two—considered very daring at the time."

This link is to a video about the Totem Pole in retrospect - I thought it was quite interesting - some of the article above may have come from ithttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpnzIMhzqU.










Glen Gray was a saxophonist who became leader of the Orange Blossom band in 1929 - it later became the Casa Loma Orchestra. The band became known for playing swing music - they paved the way for other swing bands like Benny Goodman, the Dorsey Brothers, etc. 

Here is a link to the band performing Blue Moon which was a big hit for the band - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXKZqaja7ao&t=111s






Sonny Dunham was a trumpet player and band leader who was born in Brockton - he began his career playing the trombone in Boston. He moved to New York and joined Paul Tremaine's orchestra where he switched to the trumpet. He joined Glen Gray's Casa Loma Orchestra for several years before eventually leaving to form his own band Sonny Lee and the New Yorkers Band. His band toured the US - in February 1944 the band returned to the Hotel New Yorker, and in April performed at the Cafe Rouge Room at the Hotel Pennsylvania. The Hotel New Yorker gigs were the band's longest career engagements: two 13-week runs and one 16-week run. The band also played at the Earle Theatre in Philadelphia - maybe my father saw him there.

Here is a link to a foxtrot - When They Ask About You - originally recorded in 1944 - 







April 28, 1944 the first practice assault in Exercise Tiger, a series of large-scale rehearsals for D-Day was held in Devon. The exercise was attacked by nine German E-boats that killed a total of 749 American servicemen. Two landing ships were sunk including USS LST-507.




"May 1st 1944

My dearest Ellen, 

Today is a beautiful bright warm summer's day and I am in a lazy sort of mood, but I guess that's to be expected. All kidding aside it has been really beautiful around here over the past week end and we are all taking on a reddish complexion as a result. I am no exception. Already my nose is a faint reddish substance poking out between my eyes. We all strip to the waist during lunch time and play volley ball for an hour or so to sort of add that something to the skin. Maybe I'll get me a good tan this year. If I'm smart and don't attempt it all at once. That is my usual downfall hogging the sun light and getting burnt beyond recognition. Wish me luck and I'll see what I can do. 

My trials and tribulations were over I thought during the weekend but I've now added a few more to my collection. My officer and the officer I came from Quonset with are going at each other hot and heavy and I fear they'll both wind up facing the Captain to find out the score. The outfit I used to be in has pulled some dirty work on us and if the case gets to the Captain a few of us will get called in. Its the last thing I ever want to do, knife somebody, but if I'm called I'm called. I have to figure out some diplomacy just in case. 
I'm so lazy tonight that I'm not even going out on liberty which (is) something for the book. I haven't missed many liberties in the passed few months but I haven't the urge to go out that's all. Incidentally I got two letters from you during the weekend and at last found out you got the bond. They've been taking it out of my pay since October and that's the first I've heard about it. Well you should get one every three months to sort of start the ball rolling. Incidentally I'm putting in for a leave starting the tenth of May and if its OKed I won't be home this weekend. If it ain't I will be - check.

Well I've got to close now so take it easy

Love always

John

PS. I did get your picture ---- ok I'll say." 








I wonder what kind of bond my father is having sent to my mother? A savings bond?


May 6, 1944 there was heavy Allied bombing of the continent in preparation for D-Day.

On May 8 the date for D-Day was set for June 5. 

On May 11 US and British forces carried out Operation Diadem in Italy, breaking through German defenses in the Liri Valley. Allied forces also raided airfields and coastal installations in Normandy - hitting Calais particularly hard as part of the deception plan to make the Germans think the landings would be made there.





"Tuesday
May 23, 1944

My dear Ellen, 

At last I've written but time doesn't just fly by here its just gone. Honest. Here it is Tuesday and it seems as though I just left home. Well I've arrived safely but I didn't get much sleep on the way down in fact I grabbed about twenty winks. I got me a nice comfortable seat in Boston but was seated only a few moments when a soldier and his wife came in and not finding a seat asked me to double up with a guy. Being a very chivalrous and obliging chap I agreed much to my regret. We proceeded out of Boston and a gang of soldiers looking for seats camped in the rear of our car. The soldier whose wife I gave my first seat to was a buddy of theirs which aggravated me all the more. They had a couple of jugs and you can imagine my misery. Singing shouting cussing etc made a very ear splitting raucous commotion. I was just that mad I couldn't sleep. It kept up all the way to New York when the liquor caught up with them and they fell fast asleep. Boy what a relief. ----- But my guardian angel wasn't with me for once. 

At New York another group got on and they added to the echo of the din created by their predecessors. What a night. I finally resigned myself to my fate and lay my head back. Alas I was asleep ------ so quiet calm and oh so peaceful. Out of the peacefulness came a scream piercing, shrieking 'Philadelphia Philadelphia - 30th St Station the only stop in Philadelphia.' Woe is me. I give up.

I was back on the job Friday morning full of pep, my acting prowess, (?) when whamo I got me stuck for a job. My luck turned in my favor as I've still to do anything on it as yet as it's not ready for me yet. 

The weekend was quiet for a change mostly because the hours, the good ones I kept at home got the best of me I fell asleep automatically at midnite. I got a couple of letters from you and intended to write sooner but -----------(no excuse). Well now its still light out and it's about 9:00 PM and I will be in bed in 45 minutes a liberty night too. By the way we had a party last night for our officer his birthday. A real good time and plenty of gold braid. I attempted my success (?). I tried anyway.

Well I've got to shave now and get ready to hit the sack.

My Love Always

John"




















No comments:

Post a Comment