Monday, December 12, 2022

1944 August to October including some of Jim's letters

August 1, 1944 The Warsaw Uprising, staged by the Polish Home Army, begins: the Polish people rise up, expecting aid from the approaching Soviet Union armies, but it never comes.


"August 4, 1944

My dear Ellen,

Well, well what a temper you have! I knew you could be stubborn and mulish but not quite so angry. I just got your letter and honestly you really surprise me. On the level though I'm sorry I haven't written oftener than I have been but the days just fly by as I've tried to explain to you before a hundred times. A week down here seems like two days so when I do receive your letter at least three or four days roar by before you realize you haven't answered it. Again I say I'm sorry. 

Well, I just got a letter from my brother Tom and he seems to be getting along all right. A draft from his unit just hit this place for a new program expecting to last about four months. He thought he was going to be on it but it is a specialized group that had there orders direct from Washington. He figures on the next draft he'll be shipped but doesn't know when. A few drafts have gone out to the Pacific, North and South and a batch up to the Aleutians. I don't figure he'll especially care now where he's going to be sent as he's resigned to fate. I've had no word from Joe for a while but Tom got word and he's still in New Caledonia.

Well gal I am now being way laid by a very sore throat that hurts like all h---. I've been gargling with peroxide and salt & hot water but it continues to carry on. It really murders when I swallow but I guess I'll get over it. I usually do. Besides a sore throat I am about dead from the heat its almost unbearable. There's absolutely no air and the humidity is terrific. We can't sleep nights only short naps or unless we're dog-tired. Oh well it's a long winter they tell me. All in all every thing is all right so relax for a while. This Friday night I have a watch till midnite and with the street car strike and all I don't know what time I'll be home this weekend. You have to walk if you want to get to Philly as all the car men are on strike. As it is now we can't go into Philly at all so here's hoping it changes. 

Well I'll close now so again - relax. 

Love always  John"






So my mother had a temper I guess!                                                                                                              


On August 8 plotters in the bomb plot against Hitler were hanged and their bodies hung on meat hooks. Reprisals against their families continued.

On August 9 President Roosevelt chose General Douglas MacArthur's plan to invade the Philippines and turned down Admiral Chester W Nimitz's plan to invade Taiwan.

On August 10 Guam was liberated by American troops; all of the Marianas were now in American hands. They would be turned into a major air and naval centre against the Japanese homeland.


"August 16 1944

My dearest Ellen, 

As is quite obvious by now I got back here all right although a little the worse for wear. The heat is continuing here just as I left it at home. I don't know what the temperature is but its dam hot - I'm telling you - whew. I had to hustle Sunday night and finally did get me a seat in a box car. I couldn't sleep no matter how hard I tried altho it wasn't hot or stuffy just warm. I just felt uncomfortable all the way down.

I bumped into my friends in Philly therefore I got me a ride to the base which was good. As I told you Monday night was was night but the experience I gained over the weekend helped me out a lot. (?)

I got a letter from my brother Joe today and he's still going strong. He is assigned to of all places - in the bakery. Having a baker around home will really help out. I guess I'll have him send you some GI recipes. Tom and the Polock I ran around with down here are now buddies and are waiting to get shipped out. Things around here are still S.N.A.F.U. but we manage.

Last night I went swimming and what a relief to get away from the heat. I think I'll go again tonite if I get a chance. Well I've got to scram now so relax and take it easy

Love always

John"




S.N.A.F.U. is military slang for a confused or chaotic state; a mess.



"August 20 1944

My dear Ellen,

Well here it is Sunday and again another beautiful day. In comparison to last Sunday it is real cool with the temperature about 75 degrees. It has been this way for the past couple of days. I believe the real hot summer has passed and early autumn is taking over. It makes you feel good to get out of bed mornings and feel like doing something instead of getting up all hot and drawn out.

Well I got a card from Tom during the week and he has shipped out. Destination from what I could gather is Seattle. They seem to think they'll be sent to the Aleutians God Forbid. My Polock is still with them and they are going together. Joe is still in good form and me too.

Well things here are going real well. They gave us the day off since there isn't much doing around here as far as work is concerned. Now I can catch up on my lost sleep, not that I need it.

I haven't made up plans as yet for my next weekend. I may wind up at either Hershey Atlantic City or Washington to spend my time in a poor broken down way.

I'm missing you as always even thou you may sometimes think so. I wish I was going home this weekend but I'll have to carry on for two more I guess then I'll make up for lost time - If I'm in shape. I'll rest & relax and make sure of it.

If my writing seems mussed up blame it on my writing table(?) as its kind of tipsy. Well honey the boys want some advice on love and affairs of the like and demand my attention. Till I hear from you 

Love always

John"





On August 20, 168 Allied airmen arrive at Buchenwald concentration camp.  

On August 22 German Chancellor Adolf Hitler issued the first of several orders to the German commander of Paris, General Dietrich von Choltitz, to destroy the city.


I have copies of some of Jim's letters - I gave the originals to Cynthia a few years ago after scanning them - then I dropped my computer - the hard drive usb end came apart from the hard drive - I lost all of my scanned documents. So these letters are copies I had made when I scanned them.



"USS Silenus (AGP -11)
℅ Fleet Po NY, NY
August 23 1944

Dear Ma,

I am sorry I haven't written you before this. I told Bert to call you up & let you know how I am making out. You probably won't get this letter for a while anyway and I don't know how much mail Bert has got from me as they are not taking it off the ship very often.
We are on our shakedown cruise now and will be for a while longer. It is a pretty good ship or should be when everything is straightened out. Practically everybody on it is green.
It was a relief to get away from Baltimore because it was so damned hot there. It was a pretty good time but we had to work very hard getting the ship ready to get underway.
I was on the detail that swabbed the decks and cleaned the crews quarters and heads for quite awhile but now I am doing odd jobs on the ship.
The cooking and food is pretty dam ..."


And this is where the letter ends - I either have misplaced the 2nd page or didn't make a copy of it! Bummer! 




We learned earlier that Jim was assigned to the USS Silenus (AGP-11) - it was decommissioned from an LST-604 in April 1944 in the Maryland Drydock Company to a Motor Torpedo Boat Tender. It was recommissioned on August 8, 1944 with Jim aboard. Below is the picture of Jim in Baltimore on September 7, 1944.






Remember this? It is the muster roll for the USS Silenus (AGP-11) for August 9, 1944 with Jim listed.





"August 25 - 44

My dearest Ellen,

Today I am joyful as I received two letters from you today and in gratitude I am answering them now my earliest opportunity. I got your stick of gum also. Thanks a lot. Its as bad here as in civilian life we can't get any gum either only some cheap stuff that tastes like rubber only worse. As for your missing my weekend home please forget it as I won't go home then but on the following weekend off so we'll only miss two weeks or should I say postpone it two weeks. You've been working all this time and need a rest so take and ease your mind. I think I can manage not seeing you for two weeks. I did it for six months in Florida so I'll face thru it all right I think. Have a good time and forget me for a while but not completely. The different atmosphere will do you a world of good. 

So Rita is still Walter Winchell-ing as usual. Well you needn't worry about her harming us at all as I know her and you know her only too well. Just keep me posted on what she tells you and you tell her so I'm not caught by surprise if someday she may ask me something. What you told her was all right by me. As for her causing trouble forget it. I wouldn't believe any thing she said if it was on a stack of Bibles seven miles high. So forget it. Don't worry too much about what you say I don't - well not too much anyway. So relax and write again soon - real soon.

Well it's nearing sack time now and I got to doze off soon - so I'll close soon. - This weekend I'm thinking of going to Washington - now but tomorrow I'll change my mind and go some place else. I'll spin around three times and fall on my face and head in the direction I'm pointing toward. I won't be as drastic as that but pretty near so take it easy honey and relax.

Love always and always 

John"






https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Winchell tells us that Walter Winchell was an American gossip columnist and radio news commentator. "Originally a vaudeville performer, Winchell began his newspaper career as a Broadway reporter, critic and columnist for New York  tabloids. He rose to national celebrity in the 1930s with Hearst newspaper chain syndication and a popular radio program. He was known for an innovative style of gossipy staccato news briefs, jokes and Jazz Age slang. Biographer Neal Gabler claimed that his popularity and influence "turned journalism into a form of entertainment ...

"He uncovered both hard news and embarrassing stories about famous people by exploiting his exceptionally wide circle of contacts, first in the entertainment world and the Prohibition era underworld, then in law enforcement and politics. He was known for trading gossip, sometimes in return for his silence. His outspoken style made him both feared and admired."


Also on August 25, 1944 Paris was liberated - Charles DeGaulle made a triumphant speech which was broadcast nationwide. The German military under Lt. General von Choltitz disobeys Hitler's orders to burn the city and destroy all bridges over the Seine. The next day DeGaulle and the Free French paraded triumphantly down the Champs Elysees.



"September 1944

My dearest Ellen,

I'm kind of late in writing this letter but I've started this one and I'll finish for sure. I started two but I had to go to work both times and therefore did not finish. I got a lot of mail from you the past ten days or so. Thanks a lot. You mentioned a few things in your letters that interest me a lot. Especially dear girl these juvenile delinquents who are trying to pick you up so unsuccessfully. You still must have that certain something or other to attract them. I guess my going around with you didn't rob you of your charm or impair your attractiveness in the least. Seeing that you didn't swoon to there arduous charms you must have broken there poor hearts. Oh well. They're young yet and others will come along to heal the wounds you caused. I guess by now you are all set for your vacation at Falmouth and I really and honestly hope you have a very good time. After all I'm roaming around and having my fun and seeing new things and places and you are stuck at home cooped up in your own little world. Enjoy yourself your a long time married. I noticed too about your crocheting - how about that. You really inspire me. 

Since you went on vacation this weekend I'm not going home but up state here with my buddy. I'm going to see my first mine. A coal mine at that. Learning something new everyday. Where he lives all the people speak with an Irish brogue - Polocks Germans and all. I've seen specimens of it and it's really amazing. I have always wanted to reach there since I've been here and I guess I will after all. 

I haven't had any word from my brother Joe or Tom but I know Tom is stationed temporarily outside Seattle with my Polock buddy. Joe hasn't written for quite a spell. He must be like me. A now and again later writer as you know.

Well I've got to buzz off now so have a good time and relax.

Love always - John"






September 6 1944 the "blackout" was diminished to a "dim-out" as threat of invasion and further bombing seemed an unlikely possibility.

September 9 Charles de Gaulle formed the Provisional Government of the French Republic in France.

September 10 the first Allied troops entered Germany, entering Aachen, a city on the border.

September 12 the Second Quebec Conference (codenamed "Octagon") began - Roosevelt and Churchill discussed military cooperation in the Pacific and the future of Germany.


My father dated this next letter as 1943, but the envelop is stamped "SEP 15 1944" - when I read the letter, it appears 1944 is the correct year.


"Sept 14 1943

My dearest Ellen,

To begin things or should I say commence a very happy birthday. I sent you a card with an address I'm not sure of. I hope you receive it all right. I didn't get your letter with the proper address till later that same day so here's hoping. How are you enjoying your leave. I really hope your having a good time. Right here a hurricane is approaching from Florida and all leave and liberty is cancelled. We were supposed to get this afternoon off for having a good inspection last week but I guess that will go up in smoke too. Here hoping anyway.

It's been raining cats and dogs here all week with no let up in sight. Its still sticky and very humid causing perspiration at the slightest provocation if you know what I mean. As yet there is no relief in sight and with the hurricane coming who knows. A few of my old crowd are getting shipped out and all the boys are getting shook up. As for me, I don't know. They are getting pretty good rackets. They are swapping man for man in the patrol squadrons around Puerto Rico and South America. Rio de Janiero. It's good duty with good money attached. You've always said you didn't want me to go to sea etc, well I'm sorry Ellen but if they send me there's nothing can be done about it. I am only a poor slob sailor, although I am 1st class, who can be and eventually will (be) put someplace. I know I have to go someplace sometime, that I don't worry about but it's where that I'm hazy about. I'd like good duty carrier or it's like any place in preference to an island somewhere six blocks from Hell. If any more arises I'll let you know so 'Stand By.'

Well last weekend I visited the coal region of upstate Pennsylvania, the colony that gives forth your winter warmth. What a place. It looks as though the Luftwaffe or the AAF came over with about a million planes and dropped a trillion ten ton bombs on it. Holes, valleys hills gulleys pits etc. It's something beyond imagination. I went home with my buddy and had a pleasant but quiet weekend. Its just as I said in my letter. Everyone in the region, Dutch Jew Polock German or what have you all speak with an Irish brogue. We went to a football game on Saturday and I thought I was at Russell Field watching an Irish football game. All the kids talk with a brogue and after a while you pick it up yourself. (if my writing seems different I changed pens. It writes best this way.) I never did get down in the mine as the collieries are all closed Saturdays up here any way. I wasn't disappointed though as they said if I went down I'd never want to go down again. It's very damp and dreary. Ugh.

The people here are very very sociable and friendly, better people you won't find anywhere. They are as a whole hardworking but very underpaid. Thus you see so many strikes. If these people who condemned them for striking could see where they work and how they work they would have another point of view. Most of these mines are owned and operated by Jews in New York and they have these men under their thumb. All they want is profit to hell with the way the miner lives. (   enough.

There is one spot in the region (I) went to see. We left this kids home and after driving three miles were seventeen hundred feet over his town. Saturday was cold up there no fooling. - I'll be home next weekend with the help of God and tell you all about it.

I got to go but fast so take it slow. Please write.

Love always

John

P.S. I cursed this pen say a prayer for it."








"At Sea
Sept 21 1944

Dear Ma

How are you all doing? What's new? I haven't got much to write because it is very monotonous here and nothing interesting ever happens. 

I haven't got sick yet. We've gone thru one storm but were anchored. The ship rolled around pretty much. Since then it has never stopped rolling. Plenty of the fellows have stayed seasick. I never knew a ship could roll so much. 

The food is still all right altho it has not been so good as when at dock and that has to be expected. 

All the fellows are growing beards or mustaches. I haven't so far. How would I look with a beard?

Well give my love to every body and tell them to write. Sorry I haven't more to say. 

Have you been up to see Bert lately? How does she look and feel? Is she OK?

Well so long for now. 

Love 
Jimmy"





"September 27

My dearest Ellen,

I am here and what I ran into almost floored me. I'll start from the beginning to keep in sequence and avoid confusion on my part. I got me a seat according to plan but that didn't do any good. All summer long I've been riding down to here in old box cars that were hot and stuffy with good cars scarce. Sunday I got a good car and when I expected heat it turned out to be air conditioned. What a jaunt. I wasn't real cold but I wasn't exactly comfortable either. The inconvenience was made up by the fact that we hit Philly about fifteen minutes early. I got back here with plenty of time to spare. When I arrived I learned we were to have an Admirals inspection today Wednesday. I had to wash my blues and they wouldn't dry. That couldn't go on. I had to buy a new pair of shoes because my old ones were all scraped. But as luck would have it, or maybe thru your prayers I was ready at noon today. Everyone was spic and span and I mean it really sharp. the old boy was really pleased  - in fact we get an extra four hours off tomorrow afternoon. So much. --

I like your birthday present idea and I'll agree to anything. As for coming home my next weekend I'm going to try this weekend but I have to dig up an excuse. I'll dig one up somewhere. I don't guarantee it but maybe. Well I got to wash some dungarees now as I am down to my last pair so I'll do my best.

Love always
John"





September 28, 1944  Brig. Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., dead of a heart attack on 12 July 1944, was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his leadership and actions on D-Day at Utah Beach. He was the oldest son of President Theodore Roosevelt and cousin of the current President, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and his wife Eleanor Roosevelt. 

September 30 the German garrison in Calais surrendered to Canadian troops. At one time, Hitler thought it would be the focus of the cross-Channel invasion.

October 2  American troops were now in a full-scale attack on the German "West Wall."




"October 3 - '44
My dearest Ellen,

I received your letter today and this time I'm on the ball for a change. I attempted special liberty last weekend but no such luck but it was just as well. If I had received it I'd be flat broke by the time I got home and borrowing at home is not my code --- yet.

Things are going along well here so far with no news being good news as the old say(ing) goes - I think. You must be praying terribly hard and they must be being heard. - that (be being) has me stumped. Well kid I'm coming home this weekend for a change if everything goes well as it usually does. I should be home Saturday early so let me know what you intend doing with us. You said you had some ideas, for a change.

Well I've got to head for work now so I'll close for now so take it slow.

Love always
John






October 7, 1944 a riot took place at Auschwitz concentration camp when the Sonderkommando Jewish collaborators realized that they also were slated for extermination. Over 450 were killed in suppressing the revolt, along with many others who escaped the camp in the melee.

October 9 the Moscow Conference (1944) began - Churchill and Stalin discussed spheres of influence in the postwar Balkans.




"Oct 10 1944

Dear Ma

How's everything in Watertown? Watertown is an awful long way from here. I would like to be back there right now.

How is all the gang. Give them all my love and tell them to write. Tell Hannie to write I enjoy her letters. I haven't received any mail for quite a while and don't expect to for a good while either. I don't know when you will get this letter. 

The other day I was initiated into the shellbacks. Shellbacks are fellows that have crossed the equator. Before I was initiated I was a pollywog. The initiation was pretty tough. My fanny has has big blue welts on it where I was paddled. I got electric shocks and three fire hoses were turned on me. My hair was cut so I looked like a gorilla. ( I had it all cut off I have a baldy.) I was covered from head to foot with grease. Officers and men all had to go thru the same thing if they hadn't been over before. I had to ease myself down when I sat for a couple of days.

Tell Hannie to ask her sailor boy friends if they are shellbacks if not give them the brushoff they are not sailors. 

It is pretty hot here. I imagine it is getting cool in Boston now.

Have you been up to see Bert lately? How is she doing. I am kind of worried about her. 

I haven't written you very many letters because you would get them all at once so I figure one at a time will contain all the newsI am able to tell. I would only be saying the same thing over and over as there is nothing to write about. When there is I suppose I won't be able to tell you about it on account of the censors having to be so strict. They have to be pretty careful about information leaking out.

I passed an examination for second class metalsmith and expect to get it pretty soon. Tell Hannie that.

Tell Rita to write to me. She always wanted to write to me now is her chance. 

Is Peggy still enjoying herself the same old way?   and Ellen?

Well take care of yourself and be good to yourself. Write me all the news and let me know how things are.

Love 
Jim

James P Keohane M3/S" 





Wow! Talk about an initiation! That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment! Poor Jim!




"October 11, 1944
Wednesday

My dearest Ellen,

I'm two days late in writing but that's water under the dam now. Well honey as s quite obvious I have arrived home quite safely and have resumed the grind once again. The same old grind but its not at all bad. I wouldn't swap it without a great deal of thought. As for swapping the transfer scuttle butt (rumors to you) that was roaming around here has faded completely as fas as my crowd is concerned so no news is good news - I hope. 

Well honey yesterday was my first anniversary at NAS Willow Grove. It was a year that has seen many good times acquainted me with hundreds of people I can call friends some real good friends but with a regret that I haven't been able to take advantage of all the offers that were extended. At first we had a million gripes but in the Navy, conditions if you wait long enough will improve considerably all of the time.

On our anniversary I journeyed to Philadelphia. and viewed 'Life with Father' which I enjoyed very very much. If it is ever at home drop in and see it as it is really good. Down to earth would be the best phrase to use. It has to do with a man and wife and their four kids who are always having relatives dropping in or have domestic squabbles over where the household funds are being spent. The climax is when the father informs his very religious wife that he has never been baptized. The show really starts then. See it - if not I'll review it for you.

Tomorrow night I'm thinking go seeing Franz Lehar's 'Merry Widow' also in town, this incidentally being the last week. All in all I'm leading a very cultured life.

As for our misunderstandings over the weekend forget them you'll get used to them. I guess we're getting older and don't realize it. I love you with all my heart and though I may go into a mental lapse occasionally don't never forget it - please - lights going out. 

Love always - John


PS - I washed clothes for the past three nights  - now trying to catch up and tonight finally did - plus another inspection this AM.

Love again always."








According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_with_Father_(film)#/media/File:Life_with_Father_-_Film_Poster.jpg,  Life with Father was a 1947 film based on a play of the same name. I guess my father saw the play?



The Merry Widow was a comedic operetta by Hungarian composer Franz Lehar.  No wonder my father said he was leading a cultured life!








"Oct 18 1944

Dearest Ellen,

Please excuse and forgive me for not having written to you sooner. For the past week I've had me a sore throat and a fever that has kept me sort of under the weather all along. Its coming along all right now. As a matter of fact I haven't been on liberty since last Friday which is going the limit if I do say so. I haven't been wholly confined to the station as in the past week we've done quite a bit of flying. Last Saturday we flew to Columbus, Ohio but came right back so I didn't have a chance to see the town. It only took us a couple of hours each way. In fact we left at noon and were back for secure at 5:00 in the afternoon. Sunday we flew around all afternoon practicing landings and wound up taking a hop to Baltimore as a topper. All in all we did some flying. The beginning of the week here was slow with nothing doing - much. I had a sore throat so I really didn't care much. We've been working on a plane here, a repair job and they tested it today. I asked to go up and was granted permission. All in all there were eight of us. The pilot asked that for safety the number be cut to six so two of us got out. Lucky we did as the plane was damaged as it landed. It seems the tail wheel collapsed on her. No one was hurt so I guess they'll fly her again tomorrow for another test. 

I've been getting letters all week from you and you deserve a real commendation my dear girl. I'm glad you are doing some night work as it will keep you out of mischief ~ (fatherly gab.) If you like it stick it out if not quit kid. Now you know how it feels to stand up all day. Maybe your feet will get big. Well honey I'll write again Saturday I hope at least I'll do my best anyway.

(I miss you kid.)

Love always
John" 








On the same day - October 18 - Hitler orders a call-up of all remaining men from 16 to 60 for Home Guard duties in the Volkssturm Militia.  

On October 20 the Battle of Leyte: U.S. forces land on Leyte, Philippines. MacArthur lands and states: "I have returned."

On October 23-26 the battle of Leyte Gulf took place - the United States Third Fleet and the United States Seventh Fleet won a decisive naval battle over the Imperial Japanese Navy in the Philippine Islands.




"Mrs. Margaret Keohane                        James P Keohane 
6 Green St                                               USS Silenus (AGP -11)                    
Watertown Mass                                      FPO San Francisco

Oct 26 1944
At Sea

Dear Ma

How are things going back in Watertown? It must be getting kind of cool there and here I am roasting to death practically.
I hope everything is Ok and everyone alright. I am OK.

Give all the kids my love and tell them to write. It is probably a long time since you heard from me. I wrote another letter and sent it by air mail but you will probably get this sooner. 

This has been a long trip but it was not very rough and the ship never stopped rolling. I still haven't been sea sick and don't ever expect to be.

Do you drop up to see Bert? It won't be long until you are a grandmother. I wish I could be home for that. I hope she is OK.

Well I guess there is not much more I can say. I will write more after now as I don't expect will be so long between times our mail goes out -I hope. Take care of yourself.

Love 
Jimmy

J P Keohane M3c"




"October 28 1944

Dear Ma - 

I received some mail yesterday the first in over a month and I got your letter and one from Hannie.

We have had a pretty long trip and we made out all right we didn't have any storms or any other trouble although the ship didn't stop rolling all the way. This ship would almost roll in the Charles River.

You are a swell mother. Bert told me all the things you have done for her. I guess you had a good laugh over the curtains. I guess she was glad to have them done. 

She told me how she went down to the house for dinner and what you had. I'd give a lot to have one of your dinners. 

It is pretty hot here most of the time. It cools down towards night tho. 

We had movies out on deck for the last two nights. 

It is hard to write letters as there isn't much I can tell you. We crossed the equator and the international dateline on the trip. Our time is a day ahead of yours now. 

We can get most of the things we need on the ship and we don't need much. Cigarettes are only a nickel a package. 

Sunday Oct 29

We are going ashore in a small boat today for church services. We are anchored about a mile of the beach. I will be glad to get to Mass. I haven't been to Mass for way over a month. On the ship we had church services but we had no priest or minister. One of the officers gave us a sermon and the boys sung hymns. It's going to be a rough ride to the beach. Our motor launches bob around like corks. 

We have a weekly newspaper on the ship now. It comes out every Sunday. I send them to Bert and you can see them when you go up to see her.  I'll have to send one to Hannie. I am going to write her a letter today. I got all the dope from her on what that hurricane did down in Cape Cod. 

It didn't seem so bad when it hit us. That seems like an awful long time ago. 

Bert mailed me some packages that I haven't received yet. One she mailed right after I left home when my leave was up. Pretty near two months ago. Nobody received any regular mail yet, all we got was airmail and V mail. I got to give them credit for getting mail to us the way they do. There's nothing like mail from home to cheer up the boys. Boy it made me feel good. Its worth your life to bother a guy when he's reading his mail. I haven't received Peggy's letter yet. Has Rita written? How is she doing with her French horn. Has she driven anybody crazy yet. How's Peg doing on her job and Ellen.

We call candy 'pogey bait' Coffee is 'Joe' Chipped beef and toast is '----on a shingle' - (tell the kids to figure that out.) Going to work is 'turning to.' When the deck is supposed to be swept a bosun goes around yelling 'Sweepers man your brooms - Clean sweep down fore and aft.' When they want you to go some place they say 'lay down the well deck or wherever you're supposed to go. Oh me. I've had to learn a new language. 

Well I guess I have about run out of stuff to tell you. I will write again soon but I don't know when you will get the letters.

Take care of yourself and don't worry about me. 
Thanks for going up to see Bert. 
Give everybody my love. 

Jim

PS This paper is terrible. How do you like the big envelopes.

James P Keohane M3/c







"My dearest Ellen

At long last I've arrived to the point where I either write or die in the attempt. I am in my own estimation going slowly but steadily out of this world; in other words going beserk. For the past week I have taken on the characteristics of an automatic work machine, the type of which I can't specify but which under all conditions must work continually at about six jobs at all in the same time. To get straightened out I went to Washington over the weekend and saw the football game, Redskins - Dodgers, a pro game, and came back to Philly early Sunday nite. Monday morning I got it and how. We have five men in our shop including our chief but two are on special experimental work the other is on leave so three from five leaves me and the chief. Well the chief don't work as is his privilege as boss. So I commenced. It seems a plane crashed while I was on liberty and it had to be ready for flight as soon as possible. So I dood it. From then till last night I have worked sweated swore cursed damned and condemned every pilot navy man chief officer and civilian in this whole blessed navy and I'm still not done. I'm working this afternoon and should finish it up. The work I liked but after working till about nine o'clock at night and having an officer come along and  say they forgot to check something and for me to rip it all open again - damn.  Six blessed days and nights; tomorrow I quit. 

Its been quite cold around here lately and I mean cold. We're getting used to it though. Some of the boys are beginning to hibernate already. The kid I go with is happy at last. His sister's fiancee was reported killed at Anzio in Italy a long time ago and he got word at long last that he was a prisoner of war in Germany not bad. His sister almost died from agony but is now leaping with joy. 

The past few weeks I've missed you honey - honest. I'll be home this weekend coming up - that is if I get paid. As things go money is scarce here but I'll manage some how. We're due to get paid the 5th but maybe Friday. Its usually the rule. Well honey take care. I love you always  John."






On to the rest of the year.


  
























No comments:

Post a Comment