Wednesday, March 20, 2024

1948 Fall - 1950 April

In the last post we finished up my father's letters to my mother when he was discharged from the Navy in September after 6 year's service.

These are a couple of my mother's pictures that might have been taken in the fall of 1948 - they were from around this time anyway so I'm including them here. 


The polaroid is the original photo - below I printed it out in black and white to see if it was any clearer, but it isn't. This was taken on Green Street in Watertown.
Front row: Mae Keohane, my mother, Rita Keohane
Back row: Hannie, Paul Navin holding my cousin Chris, my father.



This photo seems a little earlier than the previous one. I'm not sure where it was taken. Hannie is holding Kathleen and Norman is holding Cynthia.



Cynthia, Bertha, Kathleen in carriage - I think that is Bertha's brother in the picture.



Kathleen



Peggy and Chris upstairs on Green Street I think - the door behind Chris leads to the bathroom - downstairs it would lead to the backdoor.



I found a diary of my mother's that she started August 29, 1949.

"Personal
'My Diary'
Volume I

August 29, 1949
Ellen Manning
6 Green St.
Watertown"






(Page) "1.                                                        Aug. 29 - 1949

I have decided to start a diary. I found an old one that I kept eight years ago and I got such a bang out of reading it over I decided to try my hand at it again. ------- To commence I think I should go back to the most exciting thing that has happened for a long time.

August 20th - We got our new car today - a beautiful 'Meadow green' ford.  John & I picked it up at eleven in the morning & were so happy and excited we didn't know just what to do. We felt very self-conscious and were wreathed in smiles as we rode over to John's mother's house - our first ride in our new car. When we got back home we took off again with Ma, Hannie & Norman & rode up to Peggie's. John was rather nervous & complained of sweating palms & we all yelled every time another car even came near us. Jim was up at Peggie's and they all admired the car & we brought Chris home with us. John told Chris to throw stones at him, not the new car when Chris started throwing things - a most exciting day.

August 21st - Ma, Mae, John & I took a ride down to Manchester to see Josie - running up mileage in our new car. What a beautiful day! We roamed around Manchester, Gloucester & Rockport & ate our lunch on the rocks at Rockport. John is still nervous driving the new car & I swear everyone is headed straight toward us. John won't allow anyone to eat ice cream in the car. "





I wonder if this is the new car that my father is leaning on?




So my mother's father was John Keohane from Dunderrow, Kinsale, Cork. My father's letters have talked about John Keohane's sisters - Nellie and Hannah. Mae Keohane, who was on the drive with my mother and father to see Josie, was Tom Keohane's daughter - Tom was my grandfather's younger brother - we saw before that Tom came out to John Keohane at Hood Farm in Lowell. Their younger brother was Jim Keohane - Hannah Josephine or Josie was his daughter. I'm not sure when Josie came out from Ireland or whom she came to when she got here. But she was in touch with my family - especially my aunt Hannie Huliston who shared the same first name. I think the last time that I saw Josie was at our family reunion in 2006 - I'm trying to locate a picture of Josie and two of her daughters from the Reunion. 

Uncle Jim Keohane holding Mona with Madge and Josie outside of the house in Ballythomas, Dunderrow, Knisale.



Page 2:

"August 22nd - John took Richie (his youngest brother) to the ball game & brought him home for supper. We drove him home - more mileage in our new car - Today we can eat ice cream in it.

August 23rd - Ma, John & I drove up to Jim's - took him & Bertha & the kids out for a ride. Stopped & went thru the new Lustron Home (made of all metal) on the Veterans of Foreign Wars Parkway. 

August 25th - took my first driving lesson at Garber's Auto School ----Mmm! Down Main St. I came, traffic rushing by on all sides of me. I felt quite pleased with myself as I knew quite a few things you're supposed to learn in your first lesson. Took Ma for a ride to see Boston after dark - quite impressive & nice.

August 26th - Second driving lesson - ego deflated, not doing so well. 

August 27th A.M. - Had our car a week - third driving lesson - doing terrible - my slow stops & starts are really heartbreaking to all concerned. I was supposed to learn to turn corners today but am too dumb. I drove almost all the way to Green St. on my lesson. 

August 27th P.M. Hannie, Norman, John & I went to a weinie roast up in Tyngsboro with Frank & Billie Furlong & their girls - there was a whole mob there and we really had a good time. They had an outside grill & miracle of miracles the weinies tasted good. It was the first time for a long time I ever liked a hot dog. We had to de-mosquito ourselves with citronella. We went swimming at 10 o'clock and the water was wonderful. That was the first time I remember swimming at ...

(Continued on page 3:)
"night - nine of us went in swimming & we all got ducked. We had to make a mad dash home so John could go to work. Really an enjoyable evening."





The website - https://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/MA-01-WR1 - provides information on the metal house my folks with Jim and Bertha visited - it was located off the VFW Parkway in West Roxbury but has since burnt and was knocked down. 

"The Lustron Corporation of Columbus, Ohio, manufactured prefabricated porcelain houses to meet postwar housing demand. In March 1949, Vern M. Tech erected 59 Chellman Street, one of three surviving Lustron houses in the Boston area, and sold it to Robert and Helen Hardy. The Hardys added the two-car garage in September. The light blue baked enamel design is the popular Westchester two-bedroom, created by Glass and Beckman, architects of Wilmette, Illinois. The all-metal design included porcelain enamel walls and built-in shelves and cabinets."


Page 3 continued:

"August 28th - Practiced stopping & starting the car down by the river with John. I'm more nervous with him than the instructor. Went to the show to see 'African Screams' with Abbott & Costello. Norman, Hannie & Mae also came along.

August 30th - Driving lesson - corners!! Did Terrible!! Bumped into a tall hedge and went over some one's lawn. Came home depressed and weak in the knees.

Sept. 1st - Another driving lesson - more corners - did better. I got the instructor, Mr McCarthy, in a silly mood with all my exclamations, faces and (?) errors. He told me not only that I wouldn't learn corners by whooping, but the neighbors would think we were out on a big night dashing around corners & whooping at the same time. I was concentrating so much on releasing the wheel and letting it come back to position after corners that once after changing into high speed I let go of the wheel & zig zagged all over the place. Mr McCarthy had to pull over to the side till we got control of our emotions again. - Went to the show & saw 'Any Number Can Play.' What a hunk Clark Gable is.

Sept 2nd Went to Waltham & then went parking down by the river - John told me I had lost the spark. 

Sept 3rd - After a slight misunderstanding John & I spent a quiet evening at home. 





My mother was taking driving lessons from Garber's Auto School which is where I took driving lessons when I was a senior in high school. Below it is advertised in the 1950 Waltham Street Directory - it was located at 643 Main Street - Benjamin Hull was the manager.




Page 4:

"Sept. 11 - John's birthday - 29 years old

Sept. 14 - My birthday - 28 years old

Sept. 16 - Started two weeks vacation

Sept. 19 - John & I went to Falmouth to stay with Aunt Nellie & Fred for a few days - the weather was beautiful - sunny & warm. We arrived at four o'clock & Aunt Nellie hustled us in & upstairs - very secretive as usual.

Sept 20 - Fred, John & I started off in the morning & rode to Osterville & back - It was a beautiful day. We spent a lot of time looking for some club Fred used to work in. Brought Fred home & picked up Aunt Nellie - took a lunch & went to the beach. I went in wading (and fell on rocks) and Aunt Nellie went in swimming like a duck. She looks like a Cape Codder for sure. After supper we played cards till eleven o'clock. 

Sept 21 - Left Falmouth at one o'clock. I drove part of the way home, went to the Novena at St Luke's. 

Sept 22 - John & I rode all over town looking for hot dog rolls for sandwiches for Jean's shower. May I never see another hot dog roll! Came home & stuffed chicken salad into them all afternoon. Went to the shower in the pouring rain - John, Norman & Jimmie (?Dorsey) & Eddie (?Wallace) were there too.

Sept 23 - Left for New York at one oclock. More rain. We passed in & out of showers all the way. Found our way okay till we got to the Bronx - then what a time. John tried to watch the traffic while I watched the road map. Nuff said. We almost came to blows. Arrived safe & were warmly welcomed by all. We stayed at Aunt Hannah's. 

Sept 25 - Aunt Hannah, Uncle John, Mary Ellen, John & I all went to New Jersey. It was good to see everybody again. It was a beautiful day & we had a swell time. 

Sept 26. - John & I set off for Times Square etc - strolled ... 

(Continued on page 5) "around taking in all the sights, went to the Palace Theatre & saw some vaudeville."


My mother and father were staying with Ma's half sister - Hannah O'Sullivan - who married John O'Connor also from Ireland. They had one daughter - Mary Ellen - and although he was not mentioned, one son - Father John O'Connor. 

They are listed in the 1950 US Census of the Bronx at 1265 Nelson Avenue - Apartment 3 B. John was a 49 year old New York City police patrolman - he had become an American citizen. Hannah was 42 years old - they had 2 children - 16 year old John and 10 year old Mary Ellen. 



Page 5 continues:

"Sept 27 - Sightseeing again - Times Square, Central Park, St Pat's Cathedral, window shopping etc.

Sept 28 - We tried to leave Aunt Hannahs, couldn't get away. Spent a quiet day - slept late, listened to ball game etc & went for a long walk with Uncle John.

Sept. 29 - Left New York - went thru New Jersey - over the mountains - everything was picturesque & quaint - into Pennsyvia. We got our first flat tire, fortunately in front of a gasoline station. We got to Allentown, of which I've heard so much, and put up at the Americas Hotel. Had supper & John took me clubbing to all his old haunts. Really a nice place. I liked it so much better than New York. 

Sept. 30 - Started off about ten o'clock - went thru the rolling farm country of Pennsylvania (really beautiful) and then on thru the coal mining regions (ugh) up to the Catskills thru New York State. The mountains were beautiful with all the changing colors but we never thought we'd get out of them. We were trying to reach Kingston before night and had quite a race trying to make (it). We were glad to see the mountains getting left behind. Stayed at the Peter Stuyvesant Hotel & ate in some Dutch place - everything was very quaint & nice. Kingston was a very pretty town,

Oct. 1 - Started off again on the last lag of our journey - crossed the Rip Van Winkle Bridge and came over thru Western Massachusetts. Arrived home at 6 o'clock weary & hungry. Really had a swell trip & had beautiful weather.

Oct. 2 - Jean's wedding - everybody had a wonderful tipsy time. I had one drink -


I was very interested in this road trip - I have driven through parts of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania on road trips with my brother Johnny and his wife Vickie. It is very picturesque in places with rolling hills, farm land, small towns. My father visited this area when he was in the Navy. It's interesting that we enjoy the same places that my folks enjoyed. 

My mother wrote Americas Hotel but when I looked up hotels in Allentown, the hotel is called Americus. The website - https://americushotel.com/about-us/#:~:text=The%20site%20of%20the%20Americus,Grand%20Lady%20of%20Hamilton%20Street%E2%80%9D - explains:

"The site of the Americus Hotel had been used as a hotel since 1810. In that year, Abraham Gangawere built a two-story tavern on the northeastern corner of 6th and Hamilton Streets. The current hotel opened its doors in 1927and is known as the 'Grand Lady of Hamilton Street.' ”





We also love the Hudson Valley. The website - https://www.fohk.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/1658StockadeNationalHistoricDistrictWalkingTour.pdf - gives a brief history of the Peter Stuyvesant Hotel:

"The Stuyvesant Hotel 289 Fair Street Built 1910-1911, the hotel was designed by architect J.A. Wood and named for the Director-General of New Netherland (1642-1664), Peter Stuyvesant. The hotel advertised its 150 rooms as the most modern in the Hudson Valley with hot and cold running water, electric lights and telephones. Vacant for more than 10 years, in 1993, it was restored by RUPCO and converted into 40 apartments for the elderly and people with disabilities."



Page 6 continues:

"Dec. 1 - Since I last wrote in this a lot of things have happened - Mainly I'm going to have a baby. It seems so impossible to be happening to me, I just can't imagine myself a mother. Does everyone feel that way the first time I wonder. I am looking forward to being a mother & keeping house etc if we can only get settled downstairs. The Callahans seem to have no intention of leaving. John is busy painting storm doors tonight. I didn't think he'd be able to put them up himself but he surprised me. I've learned that when he does something by himself & I don't see it till I see the finished product things go much smoother than when I try to help him. Then we almost come to blows (or I should say I do).  We have different ways of doing everything.

Everyone had a nice Thanksgiving - we went over to John's & everyone was there. We enjoyed the turkey dinner - also the television set. Ma had the gang here & we got back in time to see everyone.  We really have a lot to be thankful for this year as it's been a wonderful prosperous year and a happy one for all. There's been quite a few changes also - we had the house painted  in June, we got the car in August, had oil put in in October, had inlaid linoleum in the kitchen in November, Hannie even got a new bed and in December I will be four months along. I hate that expression but how else express it? Best of all we all have our health (me included) and have been working & able to save a few dollars. I wouldn't't say John & I have saved anything as our expenditures this year have been terrific but at least we were able to do all those things. Rita even bought a fur coat yesterday - the first one in our family. Yes - we certainly had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. "





I thought that the photo below might have been taken at Thanksgiving or Christmas upstairs on Green Street around 1949. 


Original photo on top - I printed it out in black and white. 
Hannie, Aunt Nellie, Ma, my mother.




I think this photo was taken the same day as above - Ma appears to be wearing the same dress in both photos. 
Ma, Cynthia, Eileen Cooney


Page 7 continues:

"I'm planning to leave work Dec. 23rd but now that the time is getting short I can hardly believe it. For the last year everything in that place has gotten on my nerves & I was anxiously looking forward to leaving but now with only a few weeks left I realize its going to be kind of hard to get out of the old routine. Seven years is a long time to work in one place. We have had a flood of new girls, one after another, till it's really getting pathetic. Right now our office staff is made up of seven girls plus Miss McCarthy & for years it's only been four girls. What a place. 

April 23rd (1950) - Today I attended the 15th Annual Fidelis Club Communion Breakfast & it was good to see some of the old faces. Everyone was comparing babies etc - a much different topic than we would have been discussing years ago at the breakfasts. It's a gloomy day & I finally got around to writing in my 'diary.' I have been a lady of leisure for almost four months now & am still enjoying it. - Jim had a baby boy Friday - such excitement, everyone was so sure it would be another girl that we still haven't got over the surprise. I have another month to go & then we'll have a little more excitement. Chris is 2 years old today - our baby is growing up. I've been sitting here trying to figure out finances - it's really a terrific job. I give up for the time being. We bought our bedroom set Friday night in about a half hour after weeks of searching. I hope we'll like it when we get it."






Here are some photos of Christmas - perhaps 1949 or 1950?  Chris would be about a year and a half in December 1949.



This looks like Christmas morning at Jim Keohane's - Kathleen and Cynthia


Cynthia and Kathleen on the sofa - Chris standing in front of them.




It is difficult to see her but Bertha is sitting on the left while Chris is playing with balloons.




Cynthia, Kathleen and Bertha on couch and Chris on floor.


Kathleen and Chris


Chris

Turkey - Kathleen and Cynthia - is this upstairs on Green Street?


The Fidelis Club was organized by Helene Maxwell - my mother and her friends all belonged to it since about 1935. My mother kept in touch with Miss Maxwell up through the 1990s. 



"Fidelis Club and Fidelis Club Alumnae
15th Reunion Communion Breakfast 
Holy Year
Sunday April 23rd, 1950
St. Patrick's Hall, Watertown, Massachusetts"



"My Holy Year Prayer 1950"






"Fidelis Club Tribute
to 
Helene (Maxwell) Dardis

(For the many many hours that she spent to give us our Fidelis Club)

How very ineffective words can be 
Expressing something deep within the heart;
Locked forever by fond memory, 
Each with her own special ones apart.
Now looking back on what we took for granted,
Each endless hour you generously planned:

Dances, plays, and proms, and songs we chanted;
And Communion Breakfasts, May processions grand.
Rapidly though years may pass you'll grow,
Dearer as we realize all you've done.
In your new life we hope that you will know
Such happiness as you have surely won!

(By - Betty Ford McCarthy)"




"Fidelis Club Hymn

Mother of Christ

Mother of Christ, Mother of Christ,
What do we ask of thee? 
We do not sigh for the joys of earth
For the pleasures that fade and flee,
But, Mother of Christ, Mother of Christ, 
This do we ask of thee,
The wealth untold,
Which thine arms enfold,
The Treasure upon they knee."


"Fidelis Club Song
Tune: - (When It's Moonlight on the Colorado)

When the skies are blue,
You'll find us jolly.
When the skies are grey,
You'll find us true;
Fidelis girls will always stand together, 
We'll keep those ties of friendship ever new.
Our banners will be bright,
Our faith will be the light 
To keep us hand in hand forever,
And through the years you'll hear 
our voices ringing,
To being Fidelis Club, this song to you."





Fidelis Club Prayer
For 
Catholic Action
-----------------------------

O Dearest Jesus,
'Teach us to be generous,
To love and serve thee as 
Thou deservest,
To give and not to count 
the cost,
To fight and not to heed 
the wounds,
To toil and not to seek 
for rest,
To labor and to look for 
no reward -
Save that of doing They most 
holy will!


Fidelis Club Prayer
------------------------
The Memorare
------------------

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, 
that never was it known that any one who 
fled to thy protection, implored thy help,
 and sought thy intercession, was left un-
aided. Inspired with this confidence, we
fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins,
our Mother; to thee we come, before thee
we stand sinful and sorrowful. O Mother 
of the Word Incarnate, but, in thy mercy, hear and 
answer us.
Amen."





"To Our Spiritual Director - 
Father Leahy: - 
---------------------------------

Tune: - (Mother Machree)

Sure we love the dear twinkle that 
shines in your eye,
And that fine sense of humor no one 
will deny,
So guide us and help us in all that 
we do - 
Oh, Dear Father Leahy, we're counting 
on you.

P.S. -- Thanks, Father Leahy, for all
that you have done for us!)
MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS."
------------------------------------------------


To - Father Lineman
Our First 
Spiritual Director
--------------------------

Tune: - (When Your hair has Turned 
to Silver)

When your hair has turned to silver,
We will love you as today.
We will always need your guidance,
Whether skies are blue or gray;
You will always find us loyal --
Bound in friendship we will be 
To our Spiritual Director --
We now pledge fidelity!"





"To Fidelis Club And Alumnae
--------------------------------------

Tune: - (Some Sunday Morning)

This Sunday morning, there's going to be,
An old time Reunion for you and for me,
Bells will be chiming our old melody,
Especially for you and for me!
We're proudly celebrating -
Fidelis Club's birthday today!
We're proudly congregating,
To do it Fidelis Club way!
This Sunday morning, we walked down
the aisle,
Prayed to our Lord, and Our Lady a while,
Asked for their blessings, their sweet
charity,
Especially for you and for me!"



To - Officers of Fidel's Club And Fidelis Club Alumnae - 
Both Past And Present........
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tune: - (It's Been A Long, Long Time)

We'll cheer them once, then cheer them
twice,
Then cheer them once again.
It's been a long, long time!
Haven't seen you all like this
Since can't remember when,
It's been a long, long time!
You'll never know how many dreams
We've dreamed about you,
Or just how dull our club would be 
without you
So - cheer them once, then cheer them 
twice,
Then cheer them once again,
It's been a long, long time!"




"To The Alumnae

Tune: - (Seems Like Old Times)

Seems like old times, having you to 
walk with,
Seems like old times, having you to
talk with,
And it's still a thrill just to be 
once more together,
Still a thrill - we're all birds of 
a feather,
Seems like old times, chicken pie and 
flowers,
Seems like old times, singing here 
for hours,
Having dreams come true, doing things we used to do!
Seems like old times being here with
You!"
-------------------------------------------------------

"To The Fidelis Club

Tune: - (Forever and Ever)

Forever and ever, our hearts will be true, 
To Fidelis ever - through and through,
We all made the promise that we'd do 
our part,
And offer up a prayer, forever from 
our heart;
And together, together - forever,
Let's fall in line once again,
So let's tell the world of our Club so
divine,
Forever and ever, yours and mine.
Forever and ever, our hearts will be true, 
To Fidelis forever, through and through,
Let's all make a promise that we'll do
our part - 
And keep it with a prayer forever in our heart. "




"Thanks For The Memories

Thanks for the memories,
A hike to Cedar Hill, marshmallows
sticky thrill,
A guessing game, the rain that came
We can taste those weenies still - 
How lovely they were!
Thanks for the memories, 
at Norumbega Park when wading was a lark,
The Lindy Loop, boop-poop-a drop,
Mosquitoes in the dark - O thank you so much. 
Many's the mile in the sunshine, and
many's the mile in bad weather - 
But always good friends stick together,
Trooping along, singing a song,
Thanks for the memories,
The June Proms - best of all - 
decorated hall -
A peppy band - it all was grand
Corsages, boy friends tall,
Oh thank you so much.

Oh, thanks for the memories,
Nantasket beach en route, with lunch
and bathing suit,
At Paragon the fun was on - 
Red milland chute the chute
How lovely it was!
Thanks for the memories,
Procession time in May, new capes and 
sweet bouquets -
Quite debonair with banner fair
It was a lovely day, Oh, that you so much
Many's the time we have feasted, and 
many's the time we have fasted,
But it was swell fun that has lasted
We can't forget, we're laughing yet.
Thanks for the memories - 
A sleigh ride, what a night,
Four horses - what a sight,
The fatal sand, clear at hand -
We pushed with all
our might - Oh thank you so much!"




"Fidelis Reminders
For the 
Holy Year -- 1950
And Always
-----------------------------------------------

1. To be a good Fidelis Club member means to be a good Catholic at all times.

2. Let us always remember our morning and evening prayers, meditations and ejaculations throughout the day.

3. Let us make a sincere effort to attend Mass daily; a hundredfold blessings will be ours. 

4. Let us be faithful to First Friday Devotions in honor of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus; morning Mass and Holy Hour in the evening.

5. Let us heed our Blessed Mother's request in her apparition in Fatima, Portugal to the three peasant children - and to us all - to attend Mass on the First Saturdays, for at least five First Saturdays, in honor of Her Immaculate heart; and spend at least 15 minutes during the day in meditation. 

6. Let us again heed our Blessed Mother's request and recite the Rosary DAILY.

7. Let us be charitable in our prayers ; remembering our dearest founder always, Mrs. Helene Maxwell Dardis; our first Spiritual Lights, Monsignor Riordan and Father Lineman; our .... "





"present pastor, Father Houlihan, whom we thank sincerely for all his many kindnesses to us; our other priests, Father Carrozza and Father Sullivan, for their support; the Sisters of Saint Dominic who have been ever helpful; our deceased members, relatives and friends; and, of course, each other, and our families and friends.

MAY GOD ABOVE BLESS EACH AND EVERY ONE ABUNDANTLY DURING THIS HOLY YEAR, 1950, AND ALWAYS .................." 



There are no more diary entries here, but there is another diary - let me find that!
















No comments:

Post a Comment