Thursday, March 7, 2024

1948 June

 

"1 June 1948

My very dearest darling Ellen,

This is going to be a quickie as I've spent all night in a bull session in front of the barracks and it's now well after one o'clock. I received three letters from you today and I'm very grateful to you as they sent my morale soaring sky high. The weather down here has been terrifically hot with the thermometer hovering close to 90 degrees most of the day. Tomorrow is a work day for me once again and in a way I'm mighty glad because all of this leisure time is getting the best of me. One day if the month has passed so I'm that much nearer to you my pet so time is moving right along. I'll answer your mail tomorrow night if possible or as soon as is possible if I have to work too late. I'll drop you a line anyway. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I miss you so very much.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Alway & Always

John xxxxxxx"








"2 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen, 


It's about midnight as I write and I just got through with night flying. I'm off until tomorrow morning when I commence my twenty four hour stint. Today started off with a bang, as we had a crash about ten minutes after we checked in. One airplane was playing piggy back with another. No one was hurt luckily but one plane was pretty well beat up. All in a days work now as they seem to be getting routine. We played baseball again today and the long lay off since last Tuesday proved to be our undoing. We lost the contest 5-2. We moaned and groaned but that's the way that it ended. We'll beat them but good the next time. Tomorrow bring(s) around payday at long last and I'll really welcome it this time as I'm pretty well bent out of shape financially. I still have money for plane fare which I refuse to touch for any reason. Don't start worrying about it now. I'll hit the jackpot for fifty dollars so I should be all set for a few days anyway. I didn't receive any mail from you today but after the three that I received on Tuesday I really didn't expect any. Maybe tomorrow will bring in another one from New York. I'm hoping so anyway. Everything seems to have gone fine as far as the trip was concerned and I hope that you really enjoyed yourself. The trip in itself knocked some of the Boston dust off you and the change in scenery should keep your usually good spirits up in their high plane. I really do wish that I could have been with you over the holidays. The more thought I give the subject the more firmly I believe that I'll give this whole Navy deal up in September, for good. Commencing in January we are going to get hit with taxes and it will set me back about $20 a month. All of the items in Ship Services are getting luxury taxes slapped onto them and as a result it will be cheaper to buy them downtown in a department store. Everyone is moaning and groaning about it all. I guess I'll settle down to a steady job and then I can be with you. This life is strictly a losing proposition. We have bought a house and have a bank account as a result of this six years so that is some consolation after September we will begin to live again like human beings. It's pretty late my dearest so I'll close out for now. I love you with all of my heart and soul. Please take care - I miss you madly. 

All of my love to you

God Bless you

Always

John xxx"










"3 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen, 


Hello once again. I got a letter from you today and I see that you are back home in the fold once again. I'm glad that you had a good time and I'm hoping that your mother is enjoying herself. I have the duty until eight in the morning and I'm writing to you during a breathing spell. It's about one o'clock now and we will have to get up again at five if nothing happens in the meantime. Our section seems to be a jinx as far as this flying is concerned because our last few days of duty saw us hauling wrecked planes off the runways. We had two yesterday and one again today. Luck is with us though because no one has been hurt as yet. I hope sincerely that it continues that way. Pay day rolled around again for us and as a result I'm fifty simoleans richer. I'll be paid twice before I go home on leave so I shouldn't be broke upon arrival. I imagine by the time I return I'll be well bent out of shape. Be that was it may I'll take the risk. Things are taking a turn for the worse around here as all of the guys are taking too many liberties with a pretty good deal. One of the chiefs in my section today got all drunked up last night and missed pay day this morning. He got a few hours off in the morning to get his money at the main Station and didn't return until almost midnite. When he did arrive he was soused again and although a few guys were whining about it he appeased them by bringing in a bottle. Now they are all half tight except me and one other guy. These next few weeks are going to be rough but I intend to keep a clean record if it kills me. After going through that one day on and one day off routine I feel lucky with this new set up but I guess some of these other dudes have short memories. Some people never learn it seems. One of these fine days it will all catch up with him and everyone will suffer as a result. Tomorrow night I'll endeavor to answer all of your mail and since it's a little late now I'm going to buzz off to bed. Please take care because I love you with my whole heart and soul and I miss you tremendously.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx"










"4 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen, 


I have a just completed a very trying and difficult day down here and I'm about set to dive into my bunk. Last night after I wrote to you I hit the hay and was rousted out at 4:45 so my sleep was nil. At eight o'clock when I got off duty I intended to get some sleep but by the time I got down here to my bunk I felt pretty good so I showered and shaved and went over to the Main Station. My business there will merit me about $35 in compensation for your travel down here. You have been a long time gone but I'm just getting around to reimbursement. All I collect is from duty station to duty station and at five cents a mile it adds up to about $35 from Corpus Christi to here. It is better than nothing and since it consumed about two hours of my free time I figure that my efforts are being amply rewarded. Today was inspection day and although I cleaned up my room I doped around here too long and the inspection party with the Executive Officer in charge walked in on me. Nothing much was said but a new order clarifying the whole deal will probably be posted. After inspection was over I donned my baseball clothes and off I went to the diamond for my daily exercise and workout. Being chagrined over our loss Wednesday we really teed off for fair on the opposition winning the game by the score of 25-1 in six innings. The other side quit as they had had enough. Yours truly had a pretty good day for a change by larruping out two home runs. That made me feel great. After the game I took a shower grabbed a bite to eat and went downtown to the ball game. That game was as lobsided as the one that we played, Pensacola winning 13-1. We got back at about eleven and shot the breeze for a while in front of the barracks. At midnite the Crash Crew section leader came reeling up to me and asked me to go down to the crash shack and help him out as his crew was ossified(?).  When I got there I saw just what he meant. They were all tight except one guy and so here I am back again at 2:30 am after gassing and dispatching a transport plane. I'm afraid that hell is going to break loose some night and if and when it does this guy is going to be as sober as the proverbial judge. I've seen messes in my day but nothing like this tonight. The section leader was plastered as were two other guys while another was sickly drunk. My beer famine will be a month old Sunday and I'm prolonging it indefinitely while this condition exists. I'm going to stretch out now but I'll write again tomorrow. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I miss you tremendously.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Alway ~

John xxxxxx

xxxxxxxx"







Below is the Voucher for Reimbursement for Expenses Incident to Dependents Travel form. 


"To Manning, John J.P. ACMA USN 202 46 63

Official Address USNAS PENSACOLA, Fla

Amount $33.64

Appropriation, Limitation or Project Symbol 1780813

Appropriation Title TRNP 1948 020 74130

Certification Of Claimant


Payment is requested for transportation for travel performed by the following, who were my dependents on the effective date of orders directing this change of station

Ellen Mary Manning    Wife

Married Boston Mass.  9 February 1947


certify that my dependents were located Boston Mass when orders directing detachment from my old permanent station were received, and departed from that place on 2300 4/17/48 and arrived at Pensacola, Fla on 9:30 4/18/48. I further certify that my dependents  traveled at my own expense, and that the child(children) named above is (are)the legitimate child (children) of the officer or man concerned. (If the child (children) is (are) step or adopted, fill in Certificate on Reverse Side. 


Sign Original Payee Only  Hohn James Patrick Manning 

Date 6/4/48    Rank or Rating AMC, USN"






"5 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Here is your poor old husband once again on a very lonely Saturday night. I had ideas of a sort to go to the ball game but the team is playing out of town for the next eight days. As a result I'm tuned into the game on my radio. A wonderful investment and a marvelous invention without of it I would be almost completely lost. When I get discharged I don't know whether to take it with me or will it to someone. When the time does come then I'll decide what to do with it. Incidentally only a hundred days remain until my discharge comes about and about twenty five days are left in this month so I'll be home on leave in a few weeks. Time is really moving along and I'm mighty glad of it. Soon we will be together to stay and that's the way that I want it always. I got a letter from you today so my day had a happy moment in it after all. I didn't get up until noon time today so I guess being a helpful soul by staying up until two o'clock to do someone elses work tired me out. It's all in a lifetime though. I told you about inspection yesterday well as a result six or seven chiefs have to go to see the Captain Monday morning. Maybe a little shakeup will take place after all. I really wouldn't mind at all because a lot of these guys need to be shaken up once in a while. My beer famine is continuing and if my will power holds out and temptation avoids me I won't take a drink until I get home on leave. I'm looking forward to it longingly, the leave that is, and the time can't go by fast enough. Today I woke up too late for dinner and as a result I've been hungry all day,] of all the days to miss out I had to pick the day that they had steak. Oh well, tomorrow will bring about a little fried chicken and since I have to get up for Mass I won't miss out on that. When I start missing meals I'm really slipping. I'll snap out of it eventually I hope. Maybe I'm preparing myself for my leave when I can stuff myself with good food. I've been reading over your accounts of trip and plane ride home and I only hope and pray that I don't run into the same situation when I go home. I'm afraid that I'd get out and walk as I think it would have been easier and much faster.


Your work really piled up over the holidays but by now it should be about cleared up so that you can relax and take it easy. As for the intrigue that is about to blow the lid off the works keep me posted as it does sound quite interesting. Well honey I'm going to secure now but I'll endeavor to write a long letter tomorrow for change. I love you and I miss you like mad. 

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always ~ John xxxx"








"6 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Another Sunday night and another letter so I'm still on the beam for a change. Today was a hot blistering day as is every day down here about this time so I didn't do or accomplish very much. I arose early and went to Mass to start off the day and outside of a few incidentals all I did was talk eat and lay around. I did manage to wash out a few clothes but outside of that my tasks added up to zero. I had intentions of writing to my mother and Aunt Nellie but I didn't think of it until just now when I sat down to to write to you. I''ll have to knuckle down pretty soon or I'll be completely disowned by all concerned. I haven't written to my mother for a century it seems and if  I remember correctly it adds up to one letter since you were down here. I'm really slipping I guess but I'll get around to it in the near future and get myself back in the good graces once again. When I go home on leave, being in the good graces will really come in handy. Well I finally managed to be around for dinner for a change and I had my fill of fried chicken. Supper was made up of cold cuts and beans so I didn't go at (it) too strongly. 


Tomorrow we go on the road to play the Army team at a field about fifteen miles from here so it will probably be an all day affair. We are scheduled to leave here in the morning and I don't know when we will get back. Sometime in the evening I guess. It is also my duty day so all of the other guys will be moaning and groaning. Nevertheless I'll be on the way. With all the Chiefs going up to see the Captain the joint should be jumping with suspense and excitement. I'll let you know how it all turns out. It will probably be quite interesting. I'm still on my very best behavior as far as my beer drinking is concerned and I'll continue on my straight and narrow path until I get home and get away from this dragnet down here. Right now things are about ready to pop loose. I'm off the beam again as I promised to write a long letter tonight. Please forgive me and I'll do the best that I can as soon as I can. It's pretty late now so I think  I'll close out for now until tomorrow night. I love you with all of my heart and I miss you so desperately. I'll be seeing you soon so please take care.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxxx"










"7 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Back once again is your poor old sad sack tired out from playing ball and with a watch from 2-6 staring me in the face. I guess I'll manage to survive all night but I'll be worn out tomorrow but since it's a day off I'll be able to sleep. I told you that we were going on the road today to play ball, well we really went on a jaunt, a matter of sixty miles. I went over in a beat up Navy bus and I was almost shaken loose from my bones. Usually when we visit the Army Base they feed us pretty good but today we wound up with meatloaf that tasted like sawdust. I felt demoralized when they walloped us 15-5. I was completely shaken. It's all in the game I guess. After the game I managed to get a ride back in an automobile and what a difference. No strain or pain. I got back here in time to pick up about a hundred smudgy pots that we use for night flying and as a result I'm covered with soot and oil smoke from head to foot. I'm trying to keep this paper as clean as possible but if a smear or two appears, please forgive me. When I got back tonight I found one of your letters waiting for me so there was at least one bright spot in my day after all. Your letters do my heart and my morale a world of good so please keep up the good work honey gal. 


I see that Eileen is now acquainted with Revere Beach and its maze of amusements. I'll be(t) that she never saw the likes in Ireland. I'd have liked to have seen her expressions as she looked them over. Now that she has seen them all she will probably be a steady customer. Since she is going away for the summer I doubt it. As for the floor show she must have been completely mortified. Where in the name of God is Osterville? As for my future and the Navy I've decided to get out as I too want to settle down somewhere all by ourselves and the Navy has nothing to offer along those lines. I may be at one place a year or so and then spend a few years at sea without you. It just won't work out for us and so I've decided to get out, get a steady job and live like a human being. Absenting myself from you is gross neglect on my part and I don't want any more of it. Under these circumstances we will never get a chance to spend a lifetime together as we want so out I'll come. Once I get out and acclimated to civilian life I'll make my bid for fame and fortune or whatever life has in store for us. Just have confidence in me and bless me with an affectionate pat on the back and we will manage to survive. I'm going to close out for now until tomorrow. I love you my pet and I'm dying to be with you.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxx"










"8 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Another day has passed us by but I must truthfully say that I have seen very little of it. After I wrote to you last night I managed to get one hour of sleep and that was all that I could gather all night. This morning when we were relieved I was pooped out completely but I had to go to sick bay. One of my fingers got in the way of a ball yesterday and this morning it was blown up like a sausage. I had an X-ray taken but there wasn't any break so all I can do is favor it and let the swelling go down. I should have packed it in ice as soon as I got hit but big dumb me let it go. I moseyed around until about ten o'clock this morning and then I went to bed. I kept waking up every few minutes covered with sweat. It was sickly hot without a breath of air or wind to comfort us. It's just like it is at home during late July and August sticky and stifling hot. They tell me that it gets hotter than this down here but I can't see how it possibly could. The thermometer continues to run about half way into the nineties and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it cracked 100 degrees at spots down here. I'll be enjoying the comparative cooling effect of a New England summer pretty soon and I'm really looking forward to it very very longingly. If all goes well I should be home in about three weeks. I haven't submitted my request but they have me slated for a leave on or about 1 July. I'll give you the definite word about the end of the week. I received another letter from you today for which I thank (you) again and again. They really make my days complete. If only I could be home with you each and every day life would indeed be absolutely complete. Now that Rita has graduated from high school I imagine the world will be completely changed to suit their own particular designs and fancies. The poor unlearned followers of youth. With every one of her sisters aunts, nieces and friends on hand to wish her well she is getting a rousing send off into the world of strife and toil. I'm dying to see Kathleen once again as she must be quite big now and as cute as can be. I'll be home soon and I'll get reacquainted with one and all. As for Fred, I'm all set for a trip to the Cape and his jug of Scotch which come in mighty handy. I'm going to write home tonight and make reservations for the car so that we can make out when I do get home. Well honey, I'm going to sign off for now but I'll write again tomorrow. I love you dearly and I miss you tremendously. Please take it easy as I'll be home soon.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx"










9 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Back on schedule once again and the weather is rotten. It began to rain last night and it continued today in showers. It's raining now at present. Between showers the sun came out blazing hot and everything was so hot and humid it was stifling all over. This weather situation is getting to be quite drastic and never is it to my liking, or it seems that way to me. I had to get up early this morning to go over to the Main Station for a driving test. I made it all right but I was an hour or so late so now I have to go again Friday morning. It's the only activity in the Navy that I have ever seen start on time. It was raining this morning so if we happened to be on time all that we could have possibly accomplished was to take the written exam. Just another maze of paper work to keep these civilian Civil Service workers occupied. For the rest of the day I lounged around doing a little washing to while away the time and subsequently going to baseball practice. I have been moved across the infield to first base now so I'm getting to be quite versatile at this game. As long as I keep playing that's all that really counts and I'll be happy in any position. Once again I missed out on the chow situation this evening but I made up for it by raiding the icebox. I had my first taste of blueberry pie today and it really hit the spot for fair. The berries should be in season at home pretty soon or are you having a cold spring. I heard on the radio that the Red Sox postponed their game on account of cold weather. Since I'll be going home on leave to cool off from this tropic heat I won't mind it at all. It's just my luck though that it will turn hot and muggy much to my chagrin. Nevertheless I'll be home so stand by for me. I'm trying to get a hop out of here on Navy transport to save me fifty or sixty bucks so I'll see what I can do. They should treat me nice as I'm always gassing their aircraft when they come in. I'm hoping for the best anyway. I didn't receive any mail from you today but I guess tomorrow will bear fruit for me once again. I hope so. Since tomorrow is a work day and I had to get up early this morning I'll retire early tonight so that I'll be in good shape for any eventualities. I love you my dearest with all of my heart and soul and I miss you more than words can possibly say. Please take care.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxxxxx

                                                xxxxxxxxxxxx"









"10 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Another week is almost gone and I'm that much nearer to being with you once again. Today was hot and muggy but I managed to survive it all without any dire effects. Hurricane season is about to creep up on us so any change in wind or the clouds puts all the powers that be on edge attempting to diagnose it all. Today was another work day and I just got through. During the course of the evening I listened to the Graziano-Jole fight and it was a honey although it was over in three rounds. There had been so much publicity about it that for a change it turned out to be as good as it was built up to be. In a week or so Joe Louis goes at it again so another evening will be occupied for me. Tomorrow I'm supposed to go to the Main Station again for my driving test but the transportation problem is acute. I'll manage somehow though. I received one more letter from you today and once again I am very grateful to you for all of your letters. You have indeed been wonderful. Just a few more weeks remain and I'll be home to stay. In fact only 93 days remain until I'll be home to stay. At the rate that time is passing It shouldn't be too long until it all begins to materialize for us. Monday I'm going to put in my leave request and I'll be able to give you some definite dope about it all so that you can plan accordingly. Getting around to your letter now I must say that my drunken colleagues continue on their merry way much to our chagrin and I'm afraid it will all come to a head in the near future. I resolve to remain on my very best behavior now more than ever before because if any of these guys get messed up I don't want to be beered up. That reimbursement deal I explained to you I think but it all adds up to the fact because I'm married and I'm a chief I get reimbursed for your travel from duty station to duty station. I should have done it while I was in Texas but I never did understand it all until I got down here. It all adds up to about $35. You don't get reimbursed I do. I hope that your ankle is clearing up satisfactorily because I didn't realize that it was as bad as it is. My bum finger is giving me a mess of pains and aches but it's getting better each and every day. That trip to New York left a very lasting memory with plenty of mementos. I see that my hard-earned (?) money is still reaching you on schedule and our bank account increase (continues?) to mount little by little. If I get carried away with my thoughts of a bank account it's just dreams of grandeur. I still maintain that we will have about $2000 in the bank right after I get out if all goes well between now and then. How many bonds have we got left? I have to get up at six tomorrow so I'm going to sign off for now. I love you with all of my heart and I miss you terribly.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always 

John xxxxxx

xxxxxxxx"










"12 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Here is your wandering husband once more completely bushed from this stifling breathless heat. Out of doors there isn't a breath of air to give us any comfort whatsoever. It seems that a blanket of hot air just settled upon us and refused to leave. I'll be glad to get home so that I'll be able to cool off for a change. I got my driver's license yesterday and from the quizs and tests that we underwent I thought that I was applying for a pilot's permit. Road tests and written tests plus pin ball machine gadgets made up the whole affair. I'm glad that it's all over. Today was another day of inactivity for me and I imagine that tomorrow will follow in the same fashion. I'll be terribly pleased when I can chuck the whole mess to one side and go home and be with you always. Ninety days will see it all realized for sure. I received a letter from you today which put one bright spot in an otherwise dull day. Monday I'm putting in for my leave so I should be able to give you some pretty definite dope either Monday or Tuesday on how and when I'll be home. It takes these people so long to make up their minds that you never can get any definite word for a few days. I'll let you know all about it as soon as is possible. Keep your chin up honey. While I was over at the Main Station yesterday the Executive Officer pulled another inspection and a few more chiefs are on report. I was prepared for it all though. I'm looking forward to your weekly inspection as it will be a pleasure to help you out. Down here it's a waste of time as far as I'm concerned but orders are orders. 


As for wallpapering we'll have our hands full when September rolls around but the extra toil will do me a world of good and keep me in the groove. I guess Aunt Nellie and Fred are all set now until October or November when the they will return home. Seriously though, they have quite a life! I guess  all of the intrigue at Gordon Supply will burst wide open now that the big boy is attempting to get to the bottom of it all. If he is as efficient as I imagine he is just stand back and watch the fireworks. I guess it's all a matter of spirits and jealousies by a few frustrated souls. That's one of the curses of having money somebody is always trying to cheat you out of it. I really do sympathize with you and your lonely bed and I honestly wish that I could be with you hot nights or cold nights. Maybe when I'm home for three or four months you'll want me to sleep on the floor so that you can get some rest. We shall soon see what the future holds. Well honey I'll sign off now until tomorrow. I love you and miss you terribly honey and I want you like mad. 

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always ~ John xxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx"










"13 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Another hot humid sultry day has passed into oblivion thank the Lord and once again I'm on my way to slumberland. The air is still breathless and the slightest activity on my part brings perspiration gushing from my pores. We play ball a few times this week and if the heat persists I'll collapse. Time will tell. I went to Mass this morning as usual and to Communion also for a change. It seemed like a century since I've gone before this. Now that I am back on the right track I'll keep it up once again. Instead of a day of inactivity I moved about today for a change and went to the ballgame downtown. It was something to do and I saw another Red Sox pitcher, Woody Rich, set these Pensacola boys back on their respective heels. It lifted my morale quite a bit to hear these characters down here moan and groan over the defeat. Not being a native I rooted for the visiting aggregation. After the ball game I went over to Navy Point with this other chief and we watered his lawn and shot the breeze until just a few minutes ago. It's now almost midnight. His wife is up in Norfolk for a few weeks and he is going nuts just doing nothing. I enjoyed it as I shook off some of the dust of the base and the change was invigorating. Just a two man gabfest. He showed me all through the house, a nice and cosy little two bedroom bungalow and I got terribly lonely for you and I wanted you so very badly. Since it just couldn't be I thought of my impending leave and took a little consolation in the fact that its only a couple of weeks away. The time should whiz right by and I'll be rooting for it to do so. My two objectives now are my leave and my discharge in September and neither are too far away. Since the Red Sox game was called off I guess the weather was pretty bad today around Boston and everyone's spirits were dampened.


Keep smiling honey better days are coming and if worse comes to worse I'll take home a huge chunk of this Florida sun to light up your future. From the heat and all I developed a headache so I think I'll sign off for now until tomorrow night when I will write once more. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I miss you tremendously. Please take care.

All of my love to you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx"










"14 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Another blistering hot and sultry day is about over and no one appreciates its passing anymore than I do. It must have (been) at least a hundred if it was anything and to top it off we played ball under the blazing sun this afternoon. It was so hot that I was completely saturated with sweat before the game began and at the end of the first inning I was completely exhausted. The other team outlasted us and we lost the game 10-7. I guess you have to lose once in awhile but I still can't just put up with defeat especially when it's a shoddy and sloppily played game. Maybe I expect too much. I'm a fixture at first base now so the new position keeps me busy. Tomorrow brings another game as does Wednesday night and Friday. We'll be quite busy these days. But how I wish that it would cool off just a little or maybe just a little breeze to help us out. I got three letters from you today two from you I should day and one from your mother. They really hit the spot believe me and gave my morale quite a boost. Incidentally we had a crash today to create some excitement around here. Once again fortune was on our side and no fires or injuries resulted. I saw about my leave today and you can take off the week of the Fourth as my leave is definite for the first or second unless something drastic transpires in the meantime. I haven't much control over that but if all runs along normally I'll be home before the Fourth. It will really feel wonderful to get home once again and to be with you once again. About sixteen days will see it all realized. I know exactly how you feel when all the guys and gals go swinging along their merry way and you have to sit back and wish. In thirteen weeks all of your patient waiting will be over and I'll try to the very best of my ability to make up for the loneliness that all of this separation has caused you. I promise you that with all of my heart and soul. You have been wonderfully wonderful honey and I appreciate it with all of my heart. I can never repay you fully but I'll try to the best of my ability. Right after my leave is up I'll check the days off daily so that you'll have an accurate account of each and everyone of them. I see that you have put Eileen to work now that she has a lot of time on her hands. It will keep her occupied anyway. I'll close out for now as the heat has me. Give my thanks to your mother for her letter as it was an unexpected pleasure to hear from her. I love you madly and I miss and long for you with all of my heart and soul.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx"









"20 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Here is your poor worn out old man once again almost completely exhausted from the heat that still prevails. There isn't a breath of air to give us any comfort whatsoever so all I can do is sit back and relax and think of a possible cool leave up into dear beautiful New England. Only ten days to go now my pet so time is moving along at a fair gait for both of us. Next week at this time I'll be all ready to go on my way. I'm just biding my time now. I missed writing to you last night but with duty all day and all of the heat I just didn't have the ambition or inspiration. I got off duty this morning and went to Mass as usual. I had intentions of going to Communion but through the night I broke my fast. I'll try again next week. Tomorrow is an off day once again and since it's beginning to cloud up I hope that it rains a bit to cool us off. Tomorrow is supposed to be the official opening of summer but from all the heat that we have been having summer has been upon me for months. Maybe the change in season will bring about a change in the weather for you and all. It's bound to change for the better one of these days despite the pessimistic attitude of the weather bureau and all of its disheartening clan. Those seventeen good days that are predicted for the year really makes things look glum but it can't be that bad. I'll try to bring home a change of weather with me. Last Sunday at this time I was helping a guy water his lawn and do other domestic chores in an effort to keep my hand in for future use. Pretty soon our six years will be completed and we will be able to really settle down for good as two human beings should. We will make up for all of this separation eventually I hope. I want to start out as soon as possible.


Well honey inspiration is at a low ebb so I'll close out for now until tomorrow night. I love you all of my whole heart and soul and I miss you tremendously. Please take care of yourself honey.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxx

xxxxxxx"









"21 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Hello again my pet because here I am once again continuing my correspondence to you as usual. Today was another hot blistering day and although it was broken up by a shower about noon, the heat and humidity persisted continually all through the day. This heat is most discouraging as it saps you of all of your strength and all of your ambition. We played a ball game this afternoon and once again we strolled along the winning path. This evening I'm pooped out but completely. This heat is tremendous and I mean exactly that. Even heavy breathing brings about a terrific sweat and a run down condition for all concerned. I do manage to lose weight during the course of the game but I put it all back on quite rapidly once I get back or near a spigot or a water fountain. It is really rugged I can lose twenty pounds in a regular game but by nine or ten o'clock the same weight I have put it all back on with a few pounds to spare. I guess I'm just one of those poor characters who can put on weight just by looking at a water cooler. Life is like that I guess. Today being the first day of summer I have but ten days to go until my leave is at long last realized and I'll be home with you at so very long last. 


I'm listening to commentaries on the Republican convention in Philly and I only wish that we both could be there to see history in the making. The country and the world lays in the balance as to this election and may God with His divine Providence make the best man the victor as we really need a leader in these trying days. Maybe one of these days a good honest man will risk his career and come to the forefront with a very intelligent program of live and let live. By the way from all obvious reasons it may appear that I have broken out of the righteous path once again. It's purely anxiety to be with you my very dearest and for that reason and that purpose I'll really and truthfully die a thousand deaths without a murmur. I miss you tremendously honey please believe me and the sooner that I can be with you to keep us both completely happy I'll never really relax. You and your happiness mean more to me than anything possible in this world believe me. Only 13 days remain honey and all will be complete. 


I'm going to close out for now until tomorrow night when I shall write again. I love you with my whole heart and soul and with all of my heart. 

All of my heart and soul

God Bless & keep you

Always 

John xxxxxx

xxxxxxxxx"










"22 June 1948


My very very dearest darling Ellen,


I really hated to inform you tonight of my failure to carry out my intended leave. I guess the luck that I have had in the past has caught up with me and I'm at long last forced to suffer a little disappointment. At a time like this it really is a tremendous disappointment to me and I know the same holds true to you. I listened to your reply and you seemed to be completely defeated and I don't blame you at all. I begged borrowed and prayed for a leave but my luck just ran out completely. The fact that my time is running out and I haven't agreed to ship over has something to do with it as I could have possibly made out if I signed a contract to sign over for a few years. I couldn't see it scoot if I was even offered a scillion dollars to do so. I want to be with you continually more than I want anything on this fair earth. I tried as best  could to get home to you but committing myself for two years made me a little chagrined to say the very least. I could have gone home for three or four days as my days now stand but it would have been to very little avail for both of us. We can hold out for a couple of more months and then it will be for keeps without a separation to stare us in the face from then on. I dream of it continually my dearest and long for its realization. My transfer should roll around within ? to 14 days and from all indications it shouldn't be a bad deal no matter what way you look at it. It will be honest down to earth work which is all that I seek at present to get me back in shape after this racket that I've been exposed to for the past few months. Maybe someday I'll manage to get in a job where a hard working job pays off. I'll keep you posted on all developments that arise honey. I did from the bottom of my heart  hate to let you know about the changeover and my ultimate transfer to a new organization. It just couldn't be helped honey and it all adds up to Navy. I'll be tremendously happy to get back to normal living where we can both plan with a measurable degree of honesty and certainly without having an outsider frown upon it completely. Eighty two days will see it all realized for us honey and then the whole scheme of things will fall our way. I long for you and I miss you tremendously my very dearest and I do love you with all of my heart and very soul. Please take care of yourself for me. 

I love you with all my heart

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxxx

                                                xxxxxxxxx "










"23 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Here I am once again hot as fire and perspiring by the quart due to the heat and terrific humidity. We played baseball again today and I almost collapsed as it must have been at least a hundred in the shade. Early in the morning the temperature is well up in the eighties so you can imagine what it is about noon and the early afternoon when the sun is really in full bloom. Well honey tomorrow morning we set out for New Orleans and we will return Saturday morning. This trip keeps me out of inspection Saturday morning the first inspection they have had down here in almost two years. It's just the opposite of Corpus Christi where we were sure of at least one a month. Maybe I'll be able to dodge them until my time is up in September. I'll keep trying and with my fingers crossed I may succeed. Tonight I have the duty and also the last watch from two until dawn so by the time the ball game is over in New Orleans tomorrow afternoon I'll be a pretty tired boy but I'll get along somehow. I'll try to write to you while I'm down there just to keep myself in shape. I didn't get any mail from you today but I guess by the time I get home New Orleans I'll have a few letters stacked up waiting for me. We shall see what the future holds for me.


I had intentions of listening to the fight tonight but it was postponed until tomorrow night when I shall endeavor to catch up with it tomorrow night. I'm listening to the Republican convention and every one is really blowing their respective tops. Tomorrow I guess they'll commence balloting and then we will see who the Republicans will run against Truman. It looks like Dewey from here. Only eighty-one days to go kid and I'll be home with you for good. This month is closing out rapidly and July will be with us in no time at all. I'm hoping so anyway as I want the time to really move along. I haven't any further word on my transfer but I expect it in a matter of ten days or two weeks and the change should really help to make the time pass swiftly. I miss you so very, very much my dearest and the sooner that I can be with you the more wonderful it will be for both of us. I'm going to close out for now as I want to get an hour or so of sleep. I love you with all of my heart and soul my dearest and I long and pine for you constantly. 

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always

John xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx"










"28 June 1948


My very very dearest darling Ellen,


Here is your confused though delinquent husband returning to the fold once again and hoping very longingly that I will be received back into the fold once again in a gracious manner. These past few days have had me going around in circles that are quite incomprehensible but I am managing to survive as best I can regardless of all of circumstances that prevail to the contrary. I should definitely get down to earth in the very near future or I shall die in the effort. This heat is about to lay me low in no uncertain terms. If my memory serves me correctly the last time that I wrote to you was last Wednesday night prior to my departure to New Orleans. It seems like a million years and I have a guilty conscience for failing to write in the interim. I had it uppermost in my mind on quite a few occasions but some devilish temptation would always raise its ugly head to thwart for a while all of my good intentions. Now that I'm back I'll endeavor to the best of my ability to remain but definitely in the groove because with time drawing to a rapid close all inspirations are most cordially welcomed by both of us. Only 76 days remain honey until we are together and I'm beginning to sweat out each and every one day. Tonight I'm almost exhausted from lack of sleep and my athletic endeavors. Since last Wednesday night I think my total hours of sleep total under twenty-four. Right about now I could sleep on a tack but it's too blessed hot and muggy to get any benefit from the sleep. I've never missed any one in my whole life as I missed you on our sojourn to New Orleans this past week and I really and truthfully longed and hoped for you presence so that we could have enjoyed all of the sights and glamor of the old French City of New Orleans. I'm telling you honey that it's completely out of this world morally physically and any other way that can possibly be devised. I had a wonderful time while I was there and I again repeat that I missed you with all of my heart and soul throughout the trip because I know that you would have enjoyed the whole affair immensely as you usually do. I had so much to see that I hardly slept. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow as I haven't slept now for about 36 hours. I love you with my whole heart and soul.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always 

John"








The form below is the Information In Regard To Reimbursement For Dependents.


"The following information is necessary to submit claim for reimbursement of dependents' travel:


Location Of Dependents When Orders Received: Boston Mass

Commenced Travel: Boston Mass   2300 -17 April '48

Completed Travel: Pensacola    0930 - 18 April '48

Name Of Wife: Ellen Mary Manning

Names of Children, Sex, and Date of Birth:

Married Boston Mass 2/9/47


(Your original orders and three certified copies must be attached hereto. Original orders will be returned with check)


John James Patrick Manning

AMC (rating)


CPO Mess 

Saufley"





This next form states:
"TO: Navy Central Disbursing Office, PRNC, 1608 Arlington Annex, Washington 25, D.C.
FROM: Chief of Naval Personnel, Pers-815-9-jls
Date 28 June 48     Claim No. 284988

1. Attached claim submitted by Manning, John J. P.    292c46 63    ACMA, USN.
under orders of 18 December 1947                    for Wife
is approved for payment on a mileage basis for travel from Boston, Mass. to Pensacola, Fla. not to exceed Corpus Christi, Texas last permanent duty station to Pensacola, Fla. 

841 miles @ 4c Per Mile for 1 person $33.64
Total $33.64

Unless hereinafter stated, no transportation was furnished on this change of station. Claimant certifies that travel was performed at own expense, leaving Boston, Mass. April 17, 48 and arriving Pensacola, Fla on 18 April 1948.

M.G. HORN by direction
Dependent's Transportation Claim"







"29 June 1948


My very dearest darling Ellen,


Here I am again on another hot miserable day just sweating and attempting to stay cool. It's an almost complete impossibility to do so but somehow I'll manage to survive. I didn't have to go to work today so I slept in until about noon. I woke up covered with sweat from the heat and completely sapped out. Sleep doesn't do you any good down here. Last night as I wrote to you I was exhausted from the heat and playing ball. This heat makes Texas seem quite cool as it wasn't as humid down there as it is here. 


I'll be getting transferred from this field next next Tuesday and I'm going to a new squadron at Corry Field which is located about halfway between here and downtown. I'll remain in Pensacola so it is only a shift of location. About ten guys are going up to Memphis next week to be instructor at the trade schools up there. I should have put in for it myself but I doubt if I missed anything as the base is really regulation up there. I have only 75 days to go now so it won't be too tough down here no matter what does come about. I'm sweating each and every day but I'll be home soon. Well honey I've finally overcome the affects of our trip to New Orleans and it's about time I'm saying. We went down there presumably to play baseball but it turned out to be a terrific swell liberty for everyone. I missed you tremendously honey as I know that you would have enjoyed it tremendously. It's a city that is completely out of this world so it's almost completely wide open in all respects. We flew down from here Thursday morning, landed and got all bunked and quartered. When we arrived I found out that I needed a uniform coat or civilian clothes to go on liberty and having neither I went to Ship Service and bought a sharp knit(?) yellow sport shirt. After the ball game we dressed and showered and off we went. The ball game almost wore me out as the temperature read at least 100 degrees. A couple of the guys had been down there before and knew a few spots to start off with so I obliged and followed. We walked the comparative space or distance from Cambridge to downtown Boston. Since it was hot I was completely worn out but we finally arrived upon the scene and our liberty in New Orleans was launched. Feeling free and happy to be once again in civilization I got underway. I guzzled beer after beer and since there were ten of us together and a good piano player in the joint it wound up in a song fest. After about ten beers everyone put in their few cents worth and off we went again. There is a street down here called Bourbon Street that is one gin-mill after another. Every door is a cabaret so I set out to sample their wares. Some of the guys were beginning to feel their oats about then so I set out alone. It had been a long time since I had paid a visit to big city night clubs, so I just sat back and relaxed. Each spot had continuous entertainment and just to get away from this hill billy music and hear American music once again was well worth the liberty. I kept on guzzling and guzzling watching the big city boys and girls operate. I've never seen anything like it. I've seen big time operators operate before but never like this. This street is in the French Quarter so many tourists visit here. Grey-haired gay blades filled the spots and these wild wild women really made wild men of them. The sultry, well-dressed females would sidle up to some poor unsuspecting soul rub up against him in an amorous way to excite his emotions and off they would go. I had a sailor or two beside me usually therefore I wasn't - molested, damn it. All of the exercise of the ball game plus my consumption of -illions of brews finally caught up to me so I decided to return to the base before I lost my sense of direction completely. I finally hit my rack at about 2:30 AM. About 7 in the morning the others drifted in boasting of their respective conquests. The second ball game was really a beaut as everyone was still drunk and before the game was one out along I had to don the catching gear and go behind the plate as the liberty caught up with our catcher. What a mess the game was. No one could see the ball in the field or at bat so with the score 10-0 in the seventh we called it quits. Free beer was on tap for us at the chiefs club so once again I conditioned myself for liberty. Off we went on liberty once again but our first stop was at a joint downtown that had a radio going full blast broadcasting the Lewis-Wolcott fight. Four of us purchased a fifth and went aboard the riverboat President. This I know you would have enjoyed very very much. It's just like a river showboat and dedicated mostly to dancing. About the nearest comparison would be a moonlight sail. I borrowed a suit coat from some civilian and danced five or six sets. The stag line was Strictly stag women. At first it was easy to pick a nice looker but the more I drank the homelier they got. At about the last set and the fifth completely consumed I had a lot of bad luck but finally would (wound) up with a dance. The woman and I use the term loosely was as big as a mountain with a sense of rhythm all of her own. When I danced with the nice looking ones no one noticed me, but with this beast everyone I knew crashed into me or vice versa. After about four numbers I was exhausted. She being the clinging vine type, suggested that we go night clubbing much to my horror. Thru some excuse I escaped her and waited for the ship to dock. When it did I left and raced downtown and the protective crowds. You would have made the whole deal complete honey. I'm going to the ball game tonight so I'll close for now. More tomorrow. I love you & miss you like mad. 

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always & Always - John "










The end is in sight! July, August and part of September! I can hardly wait! I can imagine how my father was feeling!






 
































No comments:

Post a Comment