Tuesday, May 28, 2024

1950s - 1955-56 Kindergarten


I went to the Marshall Spring School on Waverley Avenue for Kindergarten - it is now the West Junior High School. I started in September 1955. Miss Corcoran was my teacher - there were two sessions - morning and afternoon - we spent half a year in each session. I used to bring a pastel plaid blanket to school - we all had to spread out our blankets and lay down on them for a nap during each day. I think we also had to bring a snack every day. Unfortunately I don't remember much more about kindergarten. 




I guess we had pictures taken some time during the year. My mother must have compiled this booklet and labeled all the pictures. Some of these classmates went on to St Pat's with me while others went to Watertown Public Schools. 




So that is my name and part of our phone number - 9143.




"About Me!
My name is Mary Ellen.
I am 5 years old and in the Kindergarten grade in
the Marshall Spring school.
I like 
Swimming
Cartoons
Pinky Lee - Howdy Dowdy.
Miss Corcoran is my teacher."




"My Pal - Susan Fisher"



The next pages from the book are pictures of my kindergarten classmates - my mother labeled the pictures.














Miss Corcoran on the left - me standing on right in the white dress. Enlarging the picture doesn't make it any clearer. Does anyone recognize who is who? I knew a few and made a few guesses using a magnifying glass.

1st row: Linda Little, ? Kathy Hawes, ?, Teresa Ricky, Kathy Furey
2nd row: ?, Buttons Miranda, GeeGee Rafferty, Kathy Femia, Sandie Mosca, ?, Arlene O'Donnell, MEM
Back row: Miss Corcoran, ?, maybe Ricky Caruso, ? Ralph Deldon, Paul Regan, Billy Hughes, Peter Regan, ?



I guess Billy Hughes gave me the picture



Linda Little - I seem to remember Linda living on Main Street near the Stop and Shop. I found a 1968 Watertown High School Yearbook picture below for her.


"Linda Little
522 Pleasant St.        Business
A self-styled comedienne, Linda has sent many
classes and studies into hysteria during her years
at WHS. She finds time for boys and bowling.
Presently employed at Puritan Dress as a typist,
she looks toward a secretarial career."




Doris Church


Arlene O'Donnell went on to St Pat's School with me. Years later her nephews Kevin and Robert went to school with my Danno.


Mary Anne Adams - I found a 1968 WHS yearbook picture of her.


"Mary Ann Adams
53 Bennett Rd.                    College
Mary Ann's artistic talent has been well exemplified
this year as art director of the Bulletin. Her versatility
is evident as she is a member of National
Honor Society, Tri-Hi-Y, French Club, chorus 
and the Tennis Team."



Ricky Caruso


Jerry Laiman


Richard Caruso



Ralph Delphin (Deldon) graduated in 1968 from WHS.


"Ralph Deldon
175 Fayette St.                      College
Ralph is President of the Senior Class and a member 
of the Student Council and Hi-Y. He is the 
captain of the football team and also belongs to 
the baseball team and the Gridiron Club. He enjoys 
coaching."
     


MEM



Kathy Hawes



Kathy Furey went on to St Pat's School with me.


Susan Fisher lived across Green Street from me. We used to play together, and I remember picking up cherries from the tree in her driveway - also getting sticky birds on my pants from her backyard. 



Peter Massa graduated in 1968.


"Peter G Massa
298 Waverley Ave.                                       College
The track teams, both indoor and cross country,
have seen a lot of Peter during his years at WHS.
This capable advertising editor of the Annual enjoys 
Italian food, sports cars, and football. After 
attending college he plans to become a teacher."




Paul Regan went on to St Pat's School with me.


Paul Regan went on to St Pat's School with me.


Billy Hughes also went on to St Pat's School with me. He is the one who gave me the class picture. He also lived on Green Street but down toward Pleasant Street. I think his aunt lived in the two family house in front of us. She sold my father her old Cadillac at some point.


Jean "GeeGee" Rafferty - I remember her and her sister Kitty at swimming lessons at the MDC pool on Pleasant Street in the summer. We later worked together at Sancta Maria Hospital in Cambridge and became very close friends.


"Jean Rafferty
399 Orchard St.                            College
Jean, who is known to many as GeeGee, is planning 
to attend a nursing school. She was elected
an election commissioner during her senior year
and has been a member of Pep Club and Office
Worker." 




Kathy Femia came along to St Pat's but graduated from WHS. We worked together at Maristhill Nursing Home in Waltham and became fast friends. 


"Kathleen Femia
22 Cushman St.                            Business
Kath's warm personality has made her a successful
sales clerk. Besides being a three year office 
helper, she was also a member of the Pep Club. A
Sigma Alpha Nu Sorority sister, she plans to attend 
a business school."




Maria "Buttons" Miranda went on to St Pat's School with me. She lived around the corner on Cuba Street.


Sandie Mosca also went on to St Pat's School with me. We went to Boston College Nursing School. Another friend from BC - Beth McCusker - and I have visited Sandie and her husband Frank in Fort Myers - they took us out in their boat and couldn't have been nicer.


Billy Cowing

 

Teresa Ricky 


Bobby Vello


George Russas graduated from WHS in 1968.


"George Russas
36 Piermont St.                             Business
George enjoys tinkering in mechanics, especially
working on cars. Juge is planning to enter the field 
of airline mechanics in the near future. He is presently
employed at the Lite Control Corporation."



Donna Deffley graduated from WHS in 1968.



"Donna Deffley
17 Pine St.                            Business
Donna's time is engrossed in her three pastimes - 
Majorette practice, dances, and parties. This summer, 
when Donna wasn't perfecting her twirling
skills at Victory Field, she was off on weekend 
trips to Hyannis. After graduation Donna's career
includes secretarial work."

And that is it for Kindergarten!











































No comments:

Post a Comment