Saturday, June 10, 2023

1946 September

 

"Sunday 1 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Here it is another Sunday afternoon with absolutely nothing to do except sit around and wait for Mass at five o'clock. Most of the guys went fishing this afternoon but me, well I'm going to Communion so I'll maintain the straight and narrow. The fishing trip will as usual wind up with windburn and sunburn and no fish. Tomorrow being Labor Day I'll have a chance to go again so I won't lose anything by staying home today. As it is I'm more of a cripple as circumstances caught up with me. I hit my thumb with the hammer driving a nail, stubbed my toe on one of the bunks causing the little toe to swell up and I woke up this morning with a boil on my stomach. I'll get over it though as I'm not a bit concerned. The doctor asked me this morning if I was allergic to boils and stuff of the sort. Answering in the negative I was informed that guys with allergies could go back to the states if they kept reoccurring. My luck is bad along that line thank the Lord so I'm forced to spend a few more months out here. It won't be too long as the time is really flying by or so it seems. Come to think of it by the time you receive this letter we will both be a year older you a maidenly twenty-five and poor me an aged 26. Why weren't we married when we were just legally maturing say five years ago right after we met. Who knows but maybe by now we would have had a house full of kids by now. Such is life! I just read over one of your recent letters and I suggest that you take your vacation this month as the odds on my getting home this year are absolutely n.g. As for excitement well that's out of the question as there is absolutely nothing to do except fish and play ball. Our only activities are eating and sleeping and going to the movies whenever one comes along that we think we will enjoy. I never knew that they made so many 'stinkers' in all my life. As added 'recreation' I think of what I'd be doing if I were back in the states but that is an inducer to sleep and dreams. My whole trouble is that I can't sleep during the day as I'm afraid that something will eventually happen some day and I won't be around or awake to see it. I haven't really done or accomplished too much since I arrived here and from now on it I'm just biding my time waiting for my homeward bound ship to come into the bay. After that happens then it will be just you and I once again. I grow impatient just thinking about it all and wish oh so hard that it would come around real soon. I miss you dearly and love you so very very much. Like you I sometimes wonder what it will be like to get together once again but I have no fears or worries about it whatsoever. After 'all' these years we know each other well enough, I think to dispense with trivialities that may arise and after a few days together everything will be okay once again. Well honey I must close for now and get ready for Church as the time is drawing near. Please take care honey as I miss you and love you with all my heart 

Alway

John" 









"Labor Day

2 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen

Hello once again. I hope you are having a good time today as I know that I'm not. Somehow or other I'm beginning to dislike holidays something fierce. I guess it must be due to the lack of activity and the want of something to do that depresses me so. We have Saturday Sunday and now all day today off and not one blessed thing to do to ease the monotony except sit in the sack and try to think of something pleasant to do or that you have done. It's really a grind no fooling. I guess if it isn't one complaint it's another so the score adds up to exactly zero. I got a letter from my mother this morning which reminded me of the fact that I haven't written to her quite a while. I guess I'm slipping all around and if I don't catch onto myself I'm afraid I'll wind up being disowned by all concerned. The way things are going around here I've lost all sense of duty and most of my initiative in fact I've just about given up on everything in general. I suppose it's human to gripe and complain and even once in a while to get disgusted with it all but the situation out here is so hopeless and heartbreaking one has no alternative except complete disgust with everything and everyone who has any connection or authority with the place. I've never seen a place where morale is so absolutely decrepit as N.A.B. Yonabaru. The officers haven't the guts and gumption of a jelly-fish and all they are really interested in is there liquor ration and anything else they can beg borrow or steal. I don't know where the Navy picked these guys up as none of them have ever so much as sweated and it they dirty their hands it's an honest to goodness disgrace. I'm glad of one thing though, the Navy is getting rid of them pretty rapidly. The greater percentage of them are guys 20 & 21 years of age just out of high school who never had more than fifty cents in their pocket until they joined the Navy. Now with a half decent pay and a mess of privileges they all figure that they are a mess of little gods who can do no wrong. I guess that's enough of a complaint from my end of the world. I hope I'm not boring you but since I'm not getting any mail from you I haven't very much inspiration. I miss you an awful lot and love you dearly.  I sincerely hope that I can get out of here real soon before I go berserk or into some other sort of coma not quite so drastic. I'd better close for the present so I'll write again tomorrow maybe. All my love to you 

Always

John."









"7 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Well here we go again. I've received two letters from you this week and they were indeed appreciated. As it is the mail situation is pretty well fouled up and with this uncertain schedule it is hard to figure when mail will arrive or depart. If I'm lucky this may get to you soon.

Things are pretty dull but I'm managing to survive it all. Softball games take care of the early evening and if the movies are any good we manage to kill an evening that way. It's about all there is to do except read and my patience, by now slightly overworked, won't let me concentrate on any literature longer than a short short story. I did manage to finish the Razors Edge by Somerset Maugham but I really didn't enjoy it at all. In fact I figured it was pretty dull. I've arrived at the conclusion that if the present day author of fiction omitted the sex angle entirely they wouldn't sell a single copy. It seems that after drab chapter they insert about three or four paragraphs devoted to promiscuous corpulence - ahem - and all of a sudden it's a seller. This Razors Edge has Paris as its background and has some high browed descriptions of the low basic characters that are regular habitats of the slimy joints that abound in the Paris slums. It also keeps the readers eyes on the female lead who has ardent sexual desires for some other guy that at one time she was engaged to. Outside of that it is really drab. I think I'd have a better time reading a history book. Incidentally what have you been reading lately? I remember when you were at G Cronin's who were always up on the best sellers. 

I'm glad that you managed to get over to see my folks and that you were so well taken care of by a couple of my well wishers. I must remember to thank them as soon as I possibly can. I guess I have a few friends left even though I have been away for quite a while. I'm glad that you are eased mentally when you go over there and I know that they are glad to see you. They are royal rooters for us to get married so I'm surrounded. I guess my father hasn't changed a bit as I remember that he was always in the center of a laughing crowd. I hope that I can some day inherit his good nature and good humor. 

I guess with Rita back in Cambridge she will have worlds and worlds of admirers. She used to tell me when she first hit Dorchester that she never had an open night at Cambridge as the boys were all rushing her. Back to her happy hunting grounds at long last.

I guess by now the wedding and the shouting are over and Peggie and Paul are on a honeymoon forgetting everything and everybody except themselves. Give her my very very best wishes for luck, happiness and long life. 

Our day will pop up soon so please don't lose your patience. God knows they should be strained by now but no more than my own. I love you dearly and sincerely and I miss you terribly. Please keep your spirits up kid as I'm still trying. I miss you and love you 

Always

John"





Razor's Edge was a 1946 movie nominated for four academy awards.





"8 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Another week has passed and another new one begins. I wonder what oddities are in store for me this coming week! It isn't that my weeks are now full of oddities or queer doings but I'm just hoping something unusual occurs to get me out of this prosaic rut that seems to engulf us all whether we like it or not. I thought that with a beach at our disposal we could while away a few hours but that came to a halt. A colored sailor drowned at the beach about a week ago so it's closed now until further notice or until they get life guards. Nobody is taking any action to get either so I guess the beach will remain closed indefinitely. Another example  of the strenuous effort that is being put into the welfare and morale of the men at the outposts of the Pacific. I'm afraid the Navy has suddenly dropped dead. Why do I always write my complaints to you? I guess your my confidant and comforter but if I bore you let me know and I'll brood to myself. A couple of my friends wound up in the hospital yesterday. They got pretty well banged up in an accident. One of them is pretty bad with a broken back and innumerable cuts. They are banged up. They offered this afternoon's Mass for them although they are not Catholics, any of them. They (are) almost due to go home so I'm going to be doubly careful from here on in. 

The chief that I used to bunk with went home a few weeks ago and I got a letter from him yesterday. I guess he won't get Stateside for ages as the ship went to China Japan and the Philippines. I guess he'll be blowing his top but good if he doesn't get home soon. 

I've found a way to spend my spare days off. Go fishing and bring along a couple of cases of beer and the day seems to zip right by. We did just that yesterday and came back to the base at 10:30 at night dead tired. I slept like a log until noon although the beer made me take a couple of urgent trips to the bathroom or whatever you want to call it.

It killed the day and although we didn't catch any fish we did have an awful lot of fun which is indeed something different. Next weekend we are going out to one of the islands off shore and see what we can do, if anything. Well honey things are still dull out here so I'll close for tonight. I miss you so much, hon, that you'll never realize it. I guess you are in about the same way so we're even Stephen. I love you with all my heart and will 

Always

John"








"9 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Here goes a quickie as time is short. From now on in I am going to write a letter a day due to the fact that my memory slips and my correspondence suffers considerably. I think it will be better this way because if I have anything to say I'll be able to say it while it's fresh on my mind. I didn't get any mail from you today but maybe I'll make out tomorrow. Today started a new week and as usual it began the same as any other week but since it's another week slipping away into eternity I  won't complain at all. I only wish they would slip much faster so that I could be getting home. I just returned from the movies where we were entertained by Glenn Ford and Rita Hayworth in their latest cinema - 'Gilda.' What a sexy portrayal that was. She certainly looked and acted the part tonight. I guess the censors only got a oneside version of some of the cracks that were slung. She had some bad publicity about her feet and as Fats Waller so ably put it in one of his songs - 'her pedal extremities are positively obnoxious' - if you get what I mean. I gave them a good going over. I don't think she is my 'gal' any more in fact I don't think any of those 'queens' really appeal to me any more. I'll just concentrate on you permanently. I love you with all my heart honey honestly I do and I miss you with all my heart. I'll close out now as I have to hit the sack. I love you I love you I love you

Always

John."







"10 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Since Ohio is our term for saying hello to the natives I'll use it tonight in my letter. It seems I'm beginning to almost forget my English after conversing with these natives in pigeon English and half-correct or phonetic Japanese. That makes another of a thousand reasons why I should go back to the States. It won't be too long now though as the worst waiting seems to be over. If they made me stay out here another year I'm afraid you would disown me or die of frustration. I don't blame you as I think I would follow suit, not disowning you, far from it, but dying of pure frustration. If the war was on I wouldn't mind so much as my stay on one rock would be limited and I'd be doing my type of work but this I can't see no matter how hard I try to visualize it. The days have been going so slow and conditions remain so stagnant I have begun to work all out doing anything any time. Today I worked on a jeep and sweated so much that the perspiration seemed to squirt off my nose and forehead. As usual it didn't do me any harm except for the fact that the sweat soaked my dungarees from my belt to my knees and after having my attention called to the dampened pattern that it made I'm afraid that I would have been embarrassed if we had any femininity around. I"ll have to keep up this heavy perspiration and maybe I'll lose an inch or two from my over crowded waistline. It's not too over crowded but this stretch of inactivity has caused a severe congestion just below my chest. By the way how are you making out? Have your measurements changed any for the better or are they still the same as ever? I remember when your figure was my chief concern but now it's just you and all you. It's been so long since I've seen you that I'm afraid that you'll have to call my attention to your improved features. I wonder who I'm trying to kid, you or myself? I got a letter from you today and shall answer it presently in fact right now. I'm glad that you liked the kimono or whatever it is. As for the size, well I have a little girl out here just about your size and shape and I measure her  and send to Shanghai for the garment. I'm just kidding honey. I guess it's just luck on my part or just the fact that they had your size in stock. I wish that I could send you a birthday present but that's a little out of the question right now. If I ever get an opportunity to buy you something I'll send it to you as a sort of belated birthday present. Tomorrow is my birthday so I'll wish myself a 'Happy Birthday' for you until you write. Well honey I'll close out for now and wish you a very very happy birthday. I love you sincerely and miss you so very terribly. Please take care of yourself. I love you

Always

John."









"11 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Congratulate me as today I am a man  - of twenty six years. I won't call them eventful or quite uneventful but I've had fun and lots of it so I don't consider them wasted at all. I can remember my twenty first birthday as that was approximately three months after I met you and you asked me how it felt to be a man. That was when you were a blushing maiden and I was a rough sort of a guy trying to get along. A long time has passed since then but it won't be too long now until I get home to you. Keep your thumbs crossed honey & keep right on with your praying as it all helps some way or the other. I'm working like mad all day long just trying to prove the point that a busy day flashes past. I'll agree provided that time is of no importance. Out here we hear baseball scores at eleven in the morning so I knock off work at 15 minutes to the hour and make a dash to the Quonset hut. It has now gotten to be a ritual with me. The Red Sox have won the pennant so now I have the World Series to look forward to. I guess the fans back there are going mad with joy, at least the reports indicate as much anyway. I'm glad though as an awful lot of people sweated them out for a long time and deserve the chance to see a Boston series. I hope they can keep it up for a couple of years and then maybe I'll be able to see one. I certainly hope so. Incidentally while speaking about Boston I read in our paper out here that the Veterans really knocked themselves out at their convention back there. In fact from the way the paper read that they made themselves terrible pains in the neck. I figured as much as a lot of these guys who just got out of service seem to think that the world owes them a living. They will learn a hell of a lot different pretty soon when people forget about them. 

I didn't get any mail from you today so my inspiration is pretty low at present. Nevertheless I'll write a letter to you each night until I break an arm. I love you honey immensely and miss you like mad honestly I do. 

I'll close out for now with this on my mind ~ I love you

Always

John."








"12 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen
Hello again. I am only writing a 'quickie' tonight as I haven't had any mail for inspiration and nothing much is happening. It still remains hot out here but since my sudden urge to work overcame me I don't mind it so much. Today I got a slight sunburn on my back but it will be gone completely in a day or two so my skin seems to repel the sun. I wish your mail would get in here so that I would be able to write a nice letter but until then I'll have to think up an inspiration or two. Maybe I'll get a bagful tomorrow. All that seems to interest the guys out here especially the guys that have been out here for over a year, is when they will be allowed to go home. In this hut of mine the ten of us are sweating it out. Five of them will be discharged right after New Year ending six years in this 'glorious' outfit. A couple are going to sign over the rest are going to give the outside a whirl. I still have a little time left to do so I have no ideas along that line. I'll live the present and let the future take care of itself for the time being at least. I'm sending you a little something or other that one of the guys who was at Awase sent to us from Frisco. They're not your size but ~ when I get home I'll buy you a pair and then help you on with them ~ okay! That should be a lot of fun. What a sense of humor I'm developing but blame it on the climate. I'll close out for now honey and will tell you again that I miss you fiercely and love you with all my heat and will

Always
John."









"13 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen

Friday the thirteenth ~ ugh. It didn't turn out too badly though. I just returned from fishing and although we didn't catch anything we had quite a few good bites. To keep up the fallacy of bad luck on this date I also received two letters from you today which I will answer tomorrow as I haven't time to answer them tonight. We had our usual beer along and with fishing in the dark and drinking beer I'm all tired out and set to hit the sack. We ran into a Japanese sailor off one of the Navy ships that is returning these displaced Okinawans from Japan and Kona. He could speak pretty good Pidjin English and after feeding him four or five beers he was in real good spirits. He is only a kid nineteen years old and is at sea for the first time. He gave us a lot of dope on Japan and the damage done up there. He is the only one left out of his whole family the rest being killed during air raids in Tokyo, his hometown. He didn't seem resentful although these people are quite unpredictable. They possess a very passive face that hides their feelings. As long as they remain friendly I don't mind them at all as they are pretty ambitious. Well honey I'll close out for now and will answer your letters tomorrow when I'll have the day to do so. This is a 'quickie' but I have made up my mind to write each night with a long letter when I get an inspiration or two. Please take care of yourself honey as I love you with all my heart and miss you terribly honestly I do. Good night honey and remember ~ I love you 

Alway

John."








"14 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen

Here it is Saturday afternoon and another week has passed. Time is indeed passing rapidly although on days off like this time drags on very very monotonously. I wish they would cease giving us days off but if they did I'm afraid I'd be the first to complain. If we had some thing to do or to look forward to it wouldn't be bad at all but on hot afternoons like this fishing is the only source of pleasure and getting burnt to a crisp is far beyond my thoughts or ideas of pleasure. I guess I'll write to you and try to catch up on the sleep that I swear I need every morning when I wake up. It gets real hot some nights and it saps all the strength out of you and you wake up exhausted and set for another eight or ten hours of sleep.After all these months out here I have finally worked up the courage to risk getting a tan. As usual it doesn't take. I got burnt almost brown and after a lot of sweating and a nice hot shower I get back to my original whiteness. I guess I haven't any color in me except white and red and the red I don't want to see. I'll keep trying and who knows maybe I'll succeed and turn  some shade of brown before I get home. I had better get around to answering your letters. By the way I got another this morning but I'll answer that tomorrow.

I guess with the wedding and all its preparations and all you were kept quite busy. That's what I hate about big affairs like that. All the fuss and fuming and tangled nerves and then it's all over. I'm afraid it would just about drive me berserk in no time at all. I guess I'm in need of a servant or an agent to look after all those nerve wracking preparations for me. 

I'm glad Peggie had a good day for the wedding as it's a pretty good start in life to have the sun shining on you instead of the heavens showering their wrath by drowning the ceremony in rain. As for us getting married I'd like to get it over with as fast as possible without too much fuss or strain on anyones part. I don't really give much thought as to how we will be married just as long as we get married. I guess I'm lazy or something along that line but my thoughts are all centered on when and how I'll be able to get home and after that I'll be able to concentrate on one thing at a time. Out here I am confused and mixed up beyond comprehension. Once stateside I'll be all right though as I'll know just where I stand and for how long. I make a plan now and then and all of a sudden something comes along and shatters it. I'll get home soon and then my brain will be as sharp as a tack and I'll be developing plans by the scillions. Well honey I'm going to close out for now and I'll write again tonight if all goes well. I love you with all my heart honey and will continue to do so for 

Always

John"









"15 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Here it is Sunday once again. It seems to me that every time I write to you it is a Sunday, but as long as they keep roaring by who am I to disagree. I only wish that the months seemed as short as the weeks out here but that would be wishing for the world and since I'm only a poor little creature I have no right to demand so much. I'll keep biding my time and maybe before I know it my day of departure from deah 'ol Okie will pop up before I realize it. Here's hoping so anyway.

Speaking of Okinawa I saw an advertisement in one of the Chicago papers trying to get civilians out here. What a glamorous place this must be in their minds eye. Reading it myself I almost swooned. I'd like to see the blank expression on their faces when they step off the ship. 

My buddy Puhl whose picture I sent home is going back home also. He has been out here almost two years and though he turned down a chance once while at Awase be isn't turning down this opportunity. They are going back slowly but surely so I'm not really worrying too much about it now. I guess about now since I haven't anything else to report I guess I'll answer your letters. 

That wedding must have really knocked you out but good. I agree with you wholeheartedly when you say that you hope that you aren't as tired after our affair as you were after Peggies. That would never, never do, not at all.  As for our getting married at a Mass it's okay with me as long as you make the arrangements. I can't do any planning like that from out here so you work out the details. After Peggie's affair you should be pretty well checked out in the matter of Church arrangements. 

As for the reception you can invite the whole city for all it matters to me just as long as a good time is had by all who attend. I know that I will as it's going to be one of my objective to have a real good time. I wish that we were together and could plan this out together. I realize that it's extremely difficult since we're so far apart but maybe we can manage all right. The whole trouble is that we can't have too much delay as my leave will be of thirty days duration at the most and then I'll have to return for reassignment somewhere or the other. I don't worry too much about that as you'll be with me wherever I go. Right now my main concern is getting married. I guess I'm being extremely selfish just thinking of us alone without our mutual friends and all but just now I want you and you alone. Once I have you and you have me well then I'll consider everyone else. 

Well honey, another letter draws to a close and I'll have to sign out for now. Please take care of yourself. I love you sincerely and it's no force of habit either. I love you

Always

John."








"15 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen, 

I really never believed that I could be so consistent by writing to you every night. After a week or more it will become more or less a habit. Just about now I have to think about it and sometimes I almost miss. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and just hoping that I don't slip up. By the way I got your Christmas card, what am I talking about? Let's start all over. I got your Birthday card in the mail today and liked it a lot especially the verse. You seem to always pick the nicest one. I guess you have a talent for picking them though as everyone pictures the situation as it really is. I think I'll make you a poetry critic whenever I get the opportunity. By the way how is my mail coming lately? The last letter I received from you stated that you received five letters at once. I guess they must be going back on the same plane.  I hope all the one that I'm writing now don't wind up in a single plane and get to you in a bundle. That's why I am writing every day so that you'll get mail regularly without that long lull in between. I guess I'm getting very considerate in my old age or I have a new lease on life. Nevertheless I love you an awful lot and only want you to realize it. I believe that you know it but I only want to make it positive. I love you very very much honey now and always. I hope I can get home soon so that we can get together once again. By the way I read a good article in Readers Digest for August entitled 'What's Wrong with American Marriages.' It was really good and it gave hell to both parties. Read it if you can get a hold of it. The nail is hit right on the head. Well honey I'll have to close out for now so please take care as I love you so very mush and will 

Always

John."


 




"17 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

I'm still at it miraculous as it seems but I'm still scribbling off 'quickies' to you. I got a couple of letters to answer but I'll answer them tomorrow or the next night as I have an all night watch coming up that should allow me to take care of all my correspondence. Tomorrow I'm going to take a trip up to the Naval Supply Depot and see what they have in the line of surplus commodities. I have a swell phonograph outfit here that I would like to get home but I can't quite figure out a way to get it off the 'rock.' It's government gear and is liable to be picked up on route. I'll have to get clearance on it before I can ship it. That clearance means shelling out a few bucks to pay for it. It's well worth thirty or forty bucks so I'll have to see what gives. My buddy Puhl bought a pair of binoculars for $65 that are really nice. They would be swell at fights or ball games as they are plenty powerful and give a good wide scope. I'm going to try and get a set for myself as I can always sell them if I don't use them. Things are still pretty much the same out here save for the fact that it's a few degrees cooler and the days are getting shorter and shorter. Well honey I've got to go for now but I'll write to you again tomorrow. I miss you very very much and love you as always. Please take care.

I love you

Always

John."








"18 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Once again I am sending on its way a letter that I hope reaches you before it becomes history. Yesterday I believe I told you about my attempt to procure some of this surplus equipment. Well I harnessed a set of binoculars but the phonograph will have to wait until tomorrow. In fact they will both have to wait as the officer in charge wasn't around to authorize the sale. These goofy officers try to make themselves so important. They are all getting dropped out of the Navy and in due time I'd venture to say they will once again wind up as soda jerks in some five and dime store. I hope he won't be to busy or tired tomorrow and then maybe I'll latch onto my choice articles.

Another letter came in today from the Secretary of the Navy affecting all hands. These letters we call Alnavs as they are directed to the whole Navy. This one was brief and to the point. All the guys who wanted to get out of the Navy were asked to do so. It pertained mostly to guys who felt they were being cheated for being kept after the war was over. Quite a few are going out in fact more than the Navy realizes I guess. The Navy is overloaded and top heavy as it is so maybe this may get it back on an even keel once again. I certainly hope so. To be truthful I could have gone out on it but I'll stick it out and see what happens. My curiosity is getting the best of me I'm afraid but after all no civilian job can give me forty five bucks a week and room and board to boot. I haven't anything to gain in civilian life since things are so unsettled. Right now I'm running into the rough end of things but I didn't expect a bed of roses when I joined. I had three years of good duty back in the states and I don't believe in quitting when things get a little rough. So far the Navy has done all right by me so I've decided to stick it out. I'll be going home soon on rotation and then maybe I'll once again get some good spot back East. I'm hoping so anyway and I know that you are. Quite a few of these guys are quite accustomed to a gravy train and since they aren't getting what they are  accustomed to they have decided to quit. The officers who are getting dropped almost break into tears when they are told to go home. I give them credit as they will never have such a good life again as long as they live. I've never regretted joining up and until the day comes that I will regret it, I'm satisfied. If this letter was ever censored I think the guy who censored it would send me home for being so good. I'm keeping my eye on the calendar and I'm waiting sort of impatiently for that ship of mine to come in and take me back home. My buddy Puhl hasn't left yet. He was supposed to go last Monday but the planes are down in Shanghai undergoing repair. I guess he'll get home eventually but he's really sweating it out now. Every day he packs his bag and then has to unpack to get his blankets. Such is life nowadays. I wonder if the world is right side up or are people just to drunk to make sense? Everything and everybody seems to be confused something fierce. Maybe they'll come to sometime but I hope that it's soon. I was going to answer your letters tonight but since I have a watch tomorrow from four until eight in the morning I'll have plenty of time. That's four in the afternoon until eight the following morning. I'll close out for now honey as I'm going to hit the sack. I hope a dream of you pops around as lately I've been having poor luck. I love you with all my heart honey and will forever ~

All my love to you

Alway

John."









"20 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

As it must to all of us I made a miss in my streak of letter writing and didn't write even as much as a 'quickie' to you yesterday. I tried but time and constant business thru my watch wouldn't allow it. I slept about three hours today after missing all of last night so I'm still a little groggy. I'm getting a new job commencing tomorrow and from now on in I'll be in charge of Welfare and Recreation which is a racket although it does cover an awful lot of work. From now on in I'm in charge of the beer hall, the movies and all athletics. The chief that had it is going home so I volunteered for the job and got it. If I work nights it will pay thirty bucks extra a month which isn't too bad for sitting around until ten o'clock. I did it anyway so I might as well get the place on a paying basis. As it is there isn't anything being done about athletics and such so that will give me a start anyway. 

All the guys that I told you were going home are leaving tomorrow by plane. Most of them are married and from reports I guess they are henpecked also. I don't ever want to end up that way and I don't think I will. Well honey I've got to answer your letters now or I'll keep postponing it indefinitely and that would never do.

I'm glad that my mail agrees with (you) and if you keep getting them five at a time you'll love me no end. That's the way I like it and I'll keep writing to that end. Your letters do me a world of good also kid so you keep it up also. As for my fondness of a summer marriage, we'll forget that for ever, as we planned we'll get married as soon as I get home or sooner if possible. Funny but I've been sort of worrying about Lent and that Forty day obstacle also but I think I'll be home prior to it, at least I hope so anyway. Keep praying and please keep your fingers crossed. My luck can't be perpetually bad so I'm hoping.

As for keeping your masterpiece I'd like to but I can't find it no where. Nobody stole it but I probably put it somewhere in my locker and forgot where I put it. If I locate it I'll send it to you. It really was a masterpiece no fooling. I promise that when I get looped I'll write to you.  This chief who is going home wrote to his girl a couple of times when he was soused and they were really something to see. He'd keep repeating himself and would get half way thru a sentence and start over again. His girl will probably save them for him and I'll bet he'll deny that he wrote them to her. They were utterly impossible to comprehend no fooling.  I'm glad that everyone thought that you were so young at the wedding. Now I know that you haven't changed too much. When I say too much I mean that you have gotten younger if anything and that is something. I hope you can always stay that way as you so ardently wish. You can to as I'll never give you any cause for worry or strain unless being in the Navy will cause you to worry. If it does I'm afraid that you'll simply have to put up with it that's all. Wait until I get you travelling and then we'll see if it's a strain or worry. As far as us changing at all I wouldn't give it a thought as a year or two makes very few changes in a person unless one is undergoing a serious situation which you aren't. Not to serious at any rate as I'm doing about the same worrying out here that you are back there. I remember our last meeting at South Station when I came home from California. You almost knocked me down. Who wouldn't be embarrassed with a girl wrapped around your neck with two nuns standing almost next to us smiling. I don't know what, but they were smiling. Nevertheless I loved it I must admit. I'll remember the last time the next time and notice the reaction in both of us. It was only six months then this time it will be almost two years. Well honey I have three more of your letters to answer as yet and I'll let them go until tomorrow night so that I'll have plenty of inspiration. 

I love you so very very much honest I do and I miss you an awful lot. I'll close out for now honey as I've got to rush off to the movie. I love you with my heart and will continue to do so

Always

John."











"21 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Here I am on this sunny Saturday afternoon endeavoring to maintain a high level of morale on your part. Today is my first day on the job, my new job I mean and tonight will be my first night. I stopped in last night to see what was going on and what I saw didn't please me one iota. It will take a few days to clear the situation up and once everything gets into the right groove there will be smooth sailing and I can lay back and relax. The place is a mess right now but I'll manage. By the way it's a seven day a week job so my hands should be pretty well full most of the time so I won't be moping around much. A lot of guys checked out today to go home and they are now awaiting transportation. Their leaving left a few gaps but they are now filled up pretty well. Everyone seems to be refilled with a renewed vigor to go all out in their new job so maybe we will have a little success. 

I think that I'll get around to answering your letters just about now before I forget it. The first one I picked upend reread was your 
'shortie' of four pages written the fifth of the month. I like your idea of a 'shortie.' You force me to use that for a sample when I write a 'shortie' to you. 

I wish that I were along on that ride over our old 'familiar' route not knowing where we were going and caring even less. That was the life, just like a couple of hoboes for a few hours each night. I guess the only thing you forgot was the few houses along the river at our favorite spot. I think that someday I'll erect a great big monument on top of that rise where we parked so often for so long although I think the tower of the Perkins Institute will suffice for the present. 

About my behavior out here have no fear. It is impeccable if that word will suffice. I have no local female aspirations nor do I desire any. That buddy of mine who became implicated with the native girl has gone home and is by now well rid of the local belle. Maybe he will become entangled with a white American damsel and settle down for once. He used to go to each of us and confidentially ask our opinion of the situation but after being told that he was ruining his life I guess he saw the light. He never told the girl that he was going but just packed and left. She seems to be over it now although I haven't seen her for quite a while. As for these Red Cross girls have no fear. I think the ugliest creatures in the world are out here. I guess no guy in the States would give them a tumble so figuring the guys out here to be desperate they set sail. There running into the same trouble out here as back in the States. The Army is bringing out dependents so most of the guys are settled and contented. As for experience well you might just as well forget all about it completely. As I said over and over again I'm saving myself for you and only you. I guess all these married people back home aren't wasting time in raising a family especially Gin. Jim and Bertha aren't doing so bad either. I guess in a few years the Keohane family will turn into a clan. As for us well I guess we can wait awhile as you say and so wish. I don't blame you since we will be traveling quite for awhile. If I was a civilian though we'd be getting around to it immediately if not sooner. Well honey I'll have to sign off now and get my joint ready for business.

I love you sincerely and I miss (you) tremendously. Please take care 

Always

John."










"23 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen

Please excuse the pencil but as of now it's the very best that I can do as I lost my fountain pen and I write a hundred times faster than I type. My new job I have found out is not the racket that I supposed it to be. It has its worries. I have a couple of useless guys working with me and that doesn't exactly help matters very much. In a few days I'll have things going fairly smooth. My first task will be to clean the place up as it's a mess as of now. Nobody bothered to clean it up before but a change in management calls for a change in service I have always found out. It will take time but I'll eventually get around to it. I have a mess of natives at my disposal so I'll work them to death for a few days and then they will get in the habit of keeping it clean. Enough of that for now, I think I'll finish answering your letters. I guess your letter of September ninth will be a good opener and I'll follow it up with your letter of September eleventh. My mail seems to be slacking off as far as its arrival to you is concerned. Well don't blame me, push it on the Navy and the U.S. Mail. Sometimes it doesn't leave here for two or three days so you can see why you get it all in one day. As for the surf board riding is concerned it has come to a screeching halt as the beach has been closed for an indefinite period. I must remind myself the next time that I write to Aleo to drop in at Hibernian Hall and display his wares. Now that he's a civilian I honestly believe that he is too bashful. In his Navy suit of blue he was a dashing lady charmer and developed a terrific ego. Now I guess the worm(?) has changed. I figure that there must be plenty of girls like Rita O'Hara who seem to be love starved, or am I mistaken. I'm glad that I have you to come home to as you've never caused me any grief worry or a bad time. Lots of guys are getting gray hairs worrying about the othe half back home and wind up left out in centerfield. Thanks a million. I'll be home soon so just relax and be patient. You should be pretty well used to it by now but I don't want you to get too used to it. I'm glad you straightened out that 'wolf' deal to my satisfaction. They aren't worth messing with and are only out after one thing. I'm glad that you appreciate me as it flatters me no end, honest it does. I guess our feelings are mutual as I've seen all sorts of females since I hit this outfit, the Navy I mean, and they made me appreciate you very, very much. Stay as you are and all will be perfect, as that's the way I want you. According to your letter you said you are seeing and hearing a lot of things you never knew before. Please clarify the situation! 

Well honey it draws near to the time when I must put in a night at the beer joint. I'll write again tomorrow so till then I love you and miss you with all my heart. 

I'll close out hoping nothing but the best for you

Always and always

John"










"25 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

This is going to have to be a 'shortie' as I have to put up a movie screen and get my place ready for business. We blocked up everything this morning so tonight as usual they said the typhoon had missed us. All that work for nothing. I guess practice makes perfect so we should be near perfect now after all these dry runs that we have had so far. I've got to hire a couple more guys to run the movies and another guy to sell the beer. It's like trying to run a theater, beer joint, library and a loan association all at once. Sometimes it gets pretty nerve-racking and I crawl into my sack all bushed out or else get loaded and crap out. They want me to take over the Welfare money but no go. I won't handle any of that stuff ever unless I have a clear road ahead and just now it's pretty rocky, I miss you something fierce honey and love you with all my heart. Please take care as I'll be home soon.

I love you Always 

John."








"Monday ? September 1946

My dearest Ellen,

Here I am again kind of weary and tired. What a day this has been. From eight in the morning till ten at night. I'll have to make this a 'shortie' if you don't mind. We scrubbed scraped and washed everything in sight and it still isn't all done. I guess that beer hall hadn't been cleaned for about a year but it's getting it now with no area spared. We did however make a dent in it but there is still an awful lot to do. To make matters worse we got a typhoon alert tonight. A storm is coming up from the south and its due to hit us Wednesday at about noon. Here's hoping it doesn't hit too hard nor last too long. I guess it will cause a mess of confusion for a few days but since my place is too big to worry about I'll sit back and sort of relax. I haven't had any mail for a couple of days and with this typhoon brewing I doubt if we'll get any for a few days more. When it does come it should come in a batch, or at least I hope so anyway. I still have a letter to answer but it's a little too late tonight to do so. Tomorrow night for sure, okay? I love you honey and miss you an awful lot. Please take care of yourself honey.

I love you & will Always

John."








"28 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

I'm sorry that I couldn't continue my streak of writing to you but as it is I'm going like mad both day and night. I never realized at all that this job that I've got would take up so much of my time. It keeps me on the go all day long and after closing hours I hit the hay with a thud a resounding thud at that. Well the typhoon passed us by and we are now awaiting the arrival of a new one if it ever comes into our scope. Now that we are all prepared for it nothing will happen but as soon as we throw away our battens and loosen our gear a twister will sneak up on us as sure as shooting. Well I haven't too much time to do so I can put up with it. The time is coasting by and all this running around and keeping busy helps out as the day is gone before you realize it. This is Saturday afternoon and I've decided to slow down long enough to write to you. Ski and another guy named Kane who were with Tom at Iwo Jima dropped in to see me. They wanted to buy a few cases of beer but I couldn't do it. I was sorry that I couldn't but the supply is so low that we will probably run out tomorrow and won't be able to get a new supply until Tuesday or Wednesday. They will be around to get some later and I'll sell them some then. They don't know when they are going home which all adds up to bad news. They will probably get around to going about the same time I get to go. He has been getting letters from all the folks in Willow Grove for us to return for another extended engagement there. How I wish that I could oblige them! My luck couldn't possibly be that good so I'll just put it on file so to speak. My main concern to to get home so that's all I'll give thought to at present. After I'm in the states anything can happen and it undoubtedly will. How have things been with you kid? I've got a couple of letters of yours to answer but I'll postpone it till tomorrow or later tonight. I'm so far back on my mail that I doubt if I will ever get caught up with it. Between home & my buddies I'll have writers cramps before long. I have to write to Aleo, a guy in Atlantic City, and a chief who left here and went home. I'll get to it some day if I'm lucky, I hope. Well honey I'll draw this to a close for now. I love you honey with all my heart really I do and I miss you something fierce. Please take care of yourself.

Always

John."











"29 September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Another Sunday afternoon is here and it's really a nice one. I just heard the Notre Dame Illinois football game in a rebroadcast from the States and since Notre Dame swamped them I'm happy. It's to bad that Boston College and Holy Cross had to lose but they are bound to pick up as the season grows older. How I wish that I was back there watching those gridirons being tromped upon Who knows I'd probably attempt a little football playing myself. I still think I could run half those guys off of their feet. I guess that's the sport that I miss the most. Maybe it's just as well as I won't end up all bruises and scrapes. The whole trouble is that I'm out here this year of all years when everything is going like mad back home. The World Series and all the college and pro ball games really would fill out quite a few days and would indeed provide a world of entertainment. I bought a pair of Navy binoculars and all I can see out here is hills planes and ships. Incidentally I paid $65 for them and the same glasses are selling for $180 back in the States so I didn't do too bad at all. I still haven't bought my phonograph as yet but I'll get it eventually if it's at all possible. 

Well I guess I'll get to answering your letters as I've been postponing it long enough. I'm tearing all conventions to pieces by postponing everything. Maybe it's because I'm just naturally lazy and don't realize it or won't admit it. I see where you got a batch of my mail on my birthday. I can't complain out here as the service is getting very irregular. Just keep writing honey and I'll get them eventually. I'm always glad to hear from you whether your mail walks here or flies here. Speaking of your honeymoon plans I had summer plans in mind but I guess they will both have to change some if I get home during snow time. I guess it will turn out all right though. At least we'll have our love to keep us warm on cold nights. Right? That drove me off on a tangent. I was looking over your pictures at Falmouth and they look better all the time. That's the second time that I ever saw you in a bathing suit. It makes me want to get home as soon as possible and see how you look in real life. I hope that it will be real soon. Keep praying honey, keep praying. Please don't send me anything for my birthday as there is nothing that I need right now except a fountain pen and I can get a pretty good one out here with no trouble once they get them in stock. All I want now is your love so send it along always. Peggie and Paul didn't seem to have had a very long honeymoon. Oh well such is life. They haven't ever been separated have they? I think Hannie must be jealous of Peggie being married or she's just afraid to take the plunge herself. I think that's all that Hannie needs is a good man to keep her warm some cold night when she has to sleep alone. I wanted to tell her that many times when I was home but I was afraid that she would take me up on it which would never do seeing that I'm going to marry you. She'll meet a guy when she's thirty or forty who will strike her fancy and then it will be too late. Well honey I've got to get ready to go to Church so I'll sign off now. Please take care of yourself. I miss you a lot and love you

Always

John"











"September 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

I wish that they would begin selling fountain pen at ship's store as I am beginning to dislike writing in pencil very much. Well here it is Tuesday and everything and everybody is going like mad. The typhoon is four hundred miles south of us and is heading in this direction. I don't know if it's the same one that hit Guam or not but from reports it's really a loo-loo. I was forced to have my boys just quit working around cleaning up and put them instead preparing the joint for a heavy blow. All day long we've been picking up loose articles and dragging them inside so that they won't cause any damage. The officers all all excited and are running around like mad. I guess it will be a new adventure for most of them. The whole trouble with typhoons is that it throws everything out of whack. Due to the typhoon the mail plane couldn't land here today and had to go right on to China. No mail is going out and none is coming in so everything is at a standstill. I guess you can expect a batch of mail to arrive all at once. I guess I might as well answer your letter while I'm at it so here goes. I guess Madeline raving about her men would get anyone depressed at times but cheer up as I'll be home eventually and then it will be your turn to do the crowing. Out here we don't have to put up with that stuff as we are all alone and more or less lonely. Just take it easy for a month or two and everything will be all right. I can still recall that first year of manhood but it seems so long ago that I feel ancient sometimes. Oh I guess when I get home again it will make me young once again. What are these ideas you intend to form after we are married? From the way I figure it we'll wind up kissing each other all day long not that I complain but it seems kind of foolish. Morning and night okay but this kissing all day long stuff will get monotonous after a while like too much candy. When you eat too much candy you get sick of it and don't  want any more. That's exactly how your kissing habit 4will wind up. I won't argue about it now but after we get married I think we'll be able to straighten it out. I hope so anyway. Well honey I have to go and see if my joint is going to blow away or not. I miss you an awful lot and I love you tremendously and I will now & 

Always

John"





No comments:

Post a Comment