Monday, June 19, 2023

October and November 1946

 

"2 October 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Here I am again a little behind schedule but here nevertheless. I'll have to discontinue writing to you as I had scheduled but I'll get to it every other day anyway. This job has me running here, there and everywhere but I'm not complaining too much. I'll admit it gets me tired and slightly worn out but I sleep a whole lot better. No more tossing and turning due to restlessness now I sleep like a log with nary a stir. I have a new officer in charge now and he is a pretty good Joe. He is just out of the states and still has that stateside crease in his pants. We have got along all right so far and I imagine we will continue to do so. The chow situation is a total blank but we manage to big deal eggs and bacon so we have bacon and egg sandwiches thru the day and when we close at night. I've always wanted fresh eggs and these to be comparatively fresh and as long as they remain that way we don't let them stay around long enough to spoil. The bacon is more fat than bacon but since we don't pay for it who are we to complain. It's a swell racket and should keep me happily occupied until my time to go home draws near which isn't too far off. Just a couple more months honey just a couple more. I'll be home before you know it and then all of your waiting pining and worrying will be over. O Happy day ~ Well I'm the only Awase chief left here as the others have all gone home either in discharge or rotation. Now I wish that I left the states six months sooner  and I would be home married and all settled. On second thought since I have so little time left let's forget it completely. Well honey about now I've got to rush off and be about my assigned business. The Navy has taught me a new trade ~ bartender. All the time something new but I'm not complaining ~ yet. I'll sign off now so take care of yourself. I love you and miss you so very much ~~~~~~ All my love to you

Always

John"



                    




"7 October 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

I'm sorry that I'm in such a rut, not writing to you I mean, but I'm going around in small circles. As it is I'm working from eight in the morning until ten at night and by the time I sit down to write to you I'm so tired and fagged out I can't concentrate on anything. Another thing I haven't been getting any mail from you lately and that doesn't help whatsoever. I promised to write to you every day awhile back but this new job sort of threw a wrench into my plans. I've decided to slow down a little bit and take it easy for awhile and give some attention to my love life. Well the time is still rolling along and my day to leave this rock is coming nearer and nearer all the time. The reason I'm working so much is to keep me occupied so that I won't keep sweating it out mentally and wind up getting 'rock happy' as they call it. Keep your fingers crossed as it's getting nearer and nearer. I got a letter from you today or should I say five letters from you and they built my morale appreciably. I was beginning to wonder what a letter was it seemed so long since I had seen one. Keep them coming but a little more often ~ please. I'm sorry that my 'short pants' gave you a false start of elation. I'm glad you thought they were cute but maybe my added comments were out of line a little but I guess you understand the situation. The opportunity arose so I just put it on paper? You really don't think that I'm too fresh do you? I hope not anyway as you aren't built that way, to hold a peeve I mean. As far as Hibernian is concerned if it gets any more crowded they will soon be dancing out in the street. It would be a lot cooler come to think of it. Hibernian Hall on a hot crowded night to my mind is a perfect example of a steam bath in motion. It's a good place to go to reduce. Hasn't Mary Blackburn and Hannie latched on to some unfortunate ape yet? Oh well they're still children so they have a couple of years left to look around peaceably after that it will be a frantic search After all these dances and U.S.O. joints it seems to me that somehow or some way they should have by now browbeaten some unfortunate soul unconscious. I'm losing confidence in them. I got your pictures of the wedding today also and they were swell. Rita looks pop-eyed and Hannie has those piercing eyes. They almost blind me. You asked me to make a comment on my likes and dislikes. Well I like them all but please Ellen  when you display your Pepsodent smile put some expression in your eyes as it makes your expression unreasonable. Not all the time but sometimes. Lest teeth more expression in your eyes. You could have very expressive eyes if you would only give them a break. I hope I haven't offended you. Well honey I'll close out now as my work is beckoning me, damn it. Take care honey ~ I love you sincerely honest I do

Always

John"





I'm not sure if these are the pictures from Peggy's wedding that my mother sent to my father, but my mother looks okay to me! And so do Hannie and Rita!












"10 October 

My very dearest Ellen,'

I've decided that it's about time that I write to you once again or else you will be disowning me completely. I keep planning every day to drop you a line even a shortie but something always comes up that distracts me. I'm still pretty well rushed these days but I should be able to slow down in a few days, at least I hope so anyway. The only setback with my working like this is that I'm neglecting you and that simply can't go on. Bear with me for a while and I'll get back in the groove once again. I have two officers working with me on this job now and as soon as they find out what they are supposed to do then I can sit back and relax once again.  Your mail is piling up on me as it's been coming in in batches the past few days. I figured that it would as you wouldn't stop writing for that long a period. Please keep up the good work as I haven't too long to do out here anymore and since the last few months seem the longest your letters will be very helpful to me. The time so far has really flown by but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the remaining few just hoping that they fly by just as quickly. I received four letters from you today so I think I will get around to answering them as best I can under the conditions that prevail. Not being an accomplished typist my speed is impaired by my lack of experience so it I stop short in my letter blame it on my over worked fingers, one on each hand. Things seem to be quite normal back in Watertown theses days from the reports that I get from you. I guess the World Series is about the only thing of any importance that is taking place thereabouts. We are getting the results out here each day and if the Red Sox don't get on the ball real soon I'm going to be an angry cuss. If they lose this series they can blame it on the Boston papers who praised them and pampered them into a state of lackadaisicalness from which they failed to recover. It is a typical Boston shortcoming that keys the patrons to a fever pitch but fails to prepare the poor suckers for the sudden let down. As I have (? told)  you before a few times the fair city of Boston is an oversized hick town but the residing citizenry, overcome by their own self importance and stagnant theories of the Boston that once existed, fail to realize their state or as always are afraid to do anything about it. I guess that told them off. 

I'm glad you understand my staying in the Navy when when I could have taken a discharge easily. I don't think that I'll regret it at all because things on the outside are a little too muddled for me to cope with at the present time. My enlistment will be up pretty soon and then if things don't meet with my approval I'll make my decision one way or the other. Until that time I'll just sit tight. I hope that you never use your influence over me to try to get me out of this out fit as I've seen happen to a mess of guys out here. It throws a poor guys mind completely out of kilter as he can't quite figure out what to do. My mind is made up for the time being and unless something really drastic occurs in the mean time I'll stick it out. Well honey until tomorrow I'm going to sign off for now. I love you with all my heart believe me and I miss you an awful lot. I'll be on my way home soon so you won't have to put up with this distance much longer. I'm sweating and praying that the time just flies by as I know it will. 

ALL MY LOVE TO YOU ALWAYS AND 

ALWAYS"







"October 15 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

I'm still kicking so don't give up yet. My correspondence is slipping I know but please excuse it for the time being. I'm still going around in circles but I'm gradually pulling out of it. In a few day I'll be back to normal once again and I'll be able to write more often. It may be 'quickies' at first but I'll be writing anyway and that's all that counts. I've been getting mail from you mostly back mail but its mail nevertheless and I'm very glad to receive it as it gives me a terrific boost. I was going to write to you last night while I had the watch but I was terribly tired and couldn't quite make it. I'm so tired now at the end of a day that I'm asleep before I hit the sack. I'm not complaining as I feel a little better than laying around doing some monotonous and prosaic job. The officer that took over my division is doing most of the work now so I'll sit back in a corner and take it easy in a few days. I finally managed to get a boxing ring constructed. I could never understand why they never had one before as it's the first time I've ever seen a navy outfit without a ring of some sort. I'm also getting a handball court constructed out here so I hope they will eventually be put to use after all the effort that was expended in constructing them. I'm hoping so anyway because recreation is too scarce to overlook them completely. If I keep in this job much longer I will wind up as a chaplain as I get all the gripes and dissents tossed into my lap from both officers and enlisted men. I'm getting used to it now so I'm not surprised at any thing that comes my way - I just take it in stride. I really don't worry too much as I'll be going home soon and I could finish my time out here standing on my ear. My biggest worry is just to get home as I'm always afraid that the day will never come around but it must eventually. I'm just biding my time with one eye on the calendar and the other one on the clock just making sure everything is all right and that time is passing as usual. I miss you an awful lot honey and I can hardly wait to get home to you, honest. I don't think that it will ever be too soon in fact I know it will never be too soon. Well honey I'll close out for now as I have to go to work once again. 

I love you and miss you with all my heart so wish me a rapid homecoming

Always yours

John"











"17 October 1946

My dearest Ellen.

This will be a 'quickie' as I'm writing during chow time and will have to rush off soon to gather the basketball team for a game. They are like a mess of sheep and have to be led around by the hand. How are things with you back home? We didn't get any mail today but maybe a plane will haul some in tomorrow. I hope so anyway as it will really help me out. The planes have a set routine to follow now and we get mail about every second or third day which isn't too bad. Right now I'm slightly disappointed and kind of down in the dumps due to the Red Sox losing the World Series to the Cards. I cursed them and prayed for them all at the same time but it didn't help out whatsoever. Maybe I'll have better luck next year that is if they win the pennant again. All that cam help me out now is for Notre Dame to whip Army and if they don't do (that) 
my sports season is a complete failure. 

I'll have to rush for now honey but I love you just as much as always and miss you very much.

All my love to you

Always

John"









"19 October 1946

My dearest Ellen,

Hello once again. It's a beautiful Saturday afternoon here in Okinawa and we are covered by a wind swept cotton clouded blue sky similar to what you would see in a pictoral advertisement of the beeyoutiful Pacific. Honestly it's really nice out and there is a swell breeze blowing in from the ocean that makes everything just lovely indeed. It's beginning to get cool out here now and our winter season isn't too far away. They have already commenced to issue heavy jackets so you can see it gets pretty cool out here. The temperature drops to about 30° here in winter but after the summer heat the body reacts in much the same way that yours would if you had a -30° winter. My tan, I did have one and didn't know it, is now fading away and I am once again returning to my normal coloring which is a combination red and white. So far we have been really fortunate as no typhoon has hit us as yet and I hope that it doesn't but I had better not speak out of turn or I'll wind up surprised some morning with the whole area flying all around me. Incidentally, I tried to type this letter but gave up as I'm a little to slow at it and my fingers are getting sore too. If you'll excuse the pencil, I'll go on from where I left off. As far as things go out here they are about the same. Nothing changes out here except the weather and there are quite a few times that it gets stubborn also. We got a warning today to prepare for an inspection by some high ranking gold and news correspondents who are on their way here from Guam. I guess everyone will be getting all pepped up until after they leave and then we will fall back once again into our old familiar rut of eat, sleep and work which is so monotonous that I often wonder why some guys haven't blown their top already. The reporters will be asking questions and they may wind up with really startling answers before they leave us out here. If you hear a terrific roar about advanced base conditions it all commenced out here. Well honey I'll be glad when I get home to you and we can have a little peace and quiet together instead of this long range correspondence that we have been carrying on now for so long. I love you so very much honey that I sometimes wonder if it's at all possible. I'll have to close now honey as I've got a job to do for the rest of the night. Please take care of yourself kid as I miss you and love you

Always.

John."










"23 October

My very dearest Ellen,

Hello again. I'm a little late but nevertheless I'm still writing so that isn't too bad at all. I received two letters from you today and from the text of them you seem to be leading a dull life back home. I guess going to Hibernian each week and seeing the same old faces and hearing the same old tunes does sort of become monotonous but bear up under it kid as I'll be coming home soon and then you'll be having troubles and woes for the rest of your life. I'll try to make them pleasant woes but you'll have them anyway whether do you want them or not. I don't understand why you didn't go to New York with Hannie and kill a week anyway. The change and the excitement would have done you a world of good. When I get home and I get my sixty days terminal leave that they owe me I guess we will be able to give the whole spot a whirl. My only regret will be that the winter will be in full swing and that ain't so good. We have waited long enough now so why wait any longer than is really necessary just because it's cold and maybe snowing. We'll wait and see how the elements turn out but now my main concern is getting home then getting married. So my thoughts run along one track and shall continue to do so until something happens. I'm writing this during chow time while I have a breather. I'm still going around in circles but I should slow down soon, at least I hope so or else I'll wind up extremely dizzy. This new officer I have puts out a mess of stuff to everyone but me and as long as he treats me all right I'm doing fine. If he starts snapping his teeth at me, I'll be forced to buy him a couple of false plates to replace the ones that I'm going to knock out of him. He's a New York City boy who thinks he's the cream of the crop. He's building up for an awful let down though as everyone is getting down on him. It's drawing near to work time so I'll sign off for the present. I miss you an awful lot and love you dearly honest.

All my love to you

Always

John."


This October 23rd letter was in an envelope postmarked October 22, 1946 - maybe my father had the wrong date on the letter?










"27 October 1946

My dearest Ellen,

Today being Navy Day I should be in all my glory but as far as Okinawa is concerned glory is just something that doesn't exist. If I were stateside, well, things would undoubtedly have been different in more ways than one. But since it is just wishful thinking let's just forget about it until next year when I sincerely hope we will be living under more pleasant conditions and circumstances. Today I got up bright and early for a change, tuned in the ball scores from the States and with that little accomplished I feel that my day has been a success. So you see honey how little it takes to please me these days. The main reason I got up was to scoop everyone else in the scores and have my ego inflated when everyone sought me out to get the correct score of the football games. After chow, I listened to a rebroadcast of the Army – Duke game which killed an hour and then I hustled over to the Army area and saw a couple of army teams knock their brains out in a football game. Every time I see the games out here I keep thinking of my football days and just ache all over with a longing to get back into a few games. I guess if I got some of the bumps and bruises that I got a few years ago I'd just about cease all operations for a few months. This laying around out here hasn't done me any good physically just added weight on me that's all. I've lost all incentive to run around and get in a couple of hours of exercise so if I'm out of shape I have no one to blame but myself. I'll eventually get back to it though so I'm not worrying too much about it.

I got a letter from my mother yesterday and things must be pretty rough back home with no OPA (Note: Office of Price Administration during WWII controlled rationing and prices of food, gasoline, fuel, shoes, etc) and stuff to guide and control things for everyone. Every time I read stuff like that I wonder if I should go back now or wait a while longer. Never fear though honey as I'll go back just as soon as they let me and it had better be soon. I have completed fifteen months out here now and I guess by the time you receive this I'll be on my 16th month. It won't be too much longer honey so be patient and I'll be home before you know it. I miss you an awful lot and can hardly wait to get home. I love you still and will always with all my heart. Well honey I'll close out now until later when I write again

All my love to you

Always

John"








"30 October 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

I'm still trying but I'm afraid I'm not getting the results that I had hoped for. I'm speaking of course of my determination to write to you more often. It seems that every day of my life I've been trying to do something with determination but it all adds up to naught as something usually and undoubtedly does pop up onto the scene to distract me. This goes on and on day after day but bear with me just a little longer and maybe I'll attain my goal. Who knows but maybe I'll be home just as I achieve my objective and then I won't have to write any more. That will be really swell indeed but I must say that I won't know what to do with my spare moments. It isn't too far off so we'll see what happens when I get home. I can hardly wait. My last few letters have been along the same vein of thought but I hope I don't bore you. You see going home is something I'm just sitting on pins and needles awaiting. Leaving here will really be swell as it will be like going back to a brand new world even though confusion does reign at the present time back there.

Nothing too much is happening out here but we did have a few admirals drop in and pay us a slight visit.  They were supposed to be on an island inspection tour. Their purpose was to look over the installations and check on the morale of the men out here. The Army boys have been raising an awful lot of hell about morale so the Navy didn't want to get caught with its pants down. I never saw the big shots and outside of the Captain of the base I don't know of anyone who did. I can't fathom these guys out. They will return to the states and write a book on what they saw and from my way of observation they don't know the first thing about it. Oh well who am I to gripe I'll still wind up where I'm sent no matter how much I complain about it. All there is to do is grin and bear it. As long as they let me get home eventually I'll be happy. That new job I took over is driving me nuts so I'm just going to sit around and take it easy. This officer who took over has the erroneous opinion that he knows a lot about everything and won't give in on anything. He brings out my stubborn streak which I have suppressed for quite a while. Let him run it if he likes as all the woe
will fall on him in the end and not on me. Well honey I must draw to a close now so please take care of yourself. I love you and miss you so very much that sometimes I can't imagine how it all happened but it couldn't happen to a nicer couple. Agreed?

All my love to you

Always

John."









"5 November 1946

My very dearest Ellen, 

Please forgive me for not having written to you for so long as I have no real tangible excuse except that it slips my mind. Nowadays my poor feeble brain is being overwhelmed with when am I going home, what do I have to do today and a million other little incidentals that continually interrupt the business at hand. I intended to sit back and take it easy about a week ago but that is easier said than done I've come to find out. They are having a shake up out here and are reorganizing in a manner that is slightly confusing to quite a few of us. The crew I work at my beer emporium is constantly producing new faces and this new officer, now a month on the job is continually keeping me in the dark. He has his ideas so I keep mine to myself. It is giving him a headache more or less but he earned it and brought it all on himself. My chief interest out here now is football and how they are doing back in the states with all the upsets during the season so far. Im at my wits end. All I can look forward to now is for Notre Dame to wallop Army if they don't I am going to lose a few simloeans that I have wagered. Notre Dame don't let me down, is my prayer at night. It's mercenary I know but if I didn't pray for divine insurance on my bet I'd be a sucker.

I've been getting mail from you every time the mail plane comes in which helps me out immeasurably. It won't be too long now before you can stop writing to me as I won't be out here to receive them. I only hope I'm not building myself up for a big let down. There is a ship leaving in about ten days that I know I won't make but I should catch the one that leaves in December if no complications arise to interrupt it. That word complications is to a sailor just the same as it is to a surgeon, a big disappointment. I dread it but I have my fingers crossed. Just keep praying and hoping honey and things are bound to come our way eventually. The rainy weather has us bogged down now so for a week the lowlands should be a sea of mud waist high. I guess I'll stick to the inside work til the sun shines again out here. Well honey I'll closeout for now and I promise to write more frequently. This lull in my writing to you is unfair and uncalled for. I love you sincerely and miss you with all my heart. Please take care of yourself and say a prayer or two for my swift return to the states.

All my love to you

Always

John"











" *****Still no fountain pen

13 November 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Well Notre Dame and Army played to a scoreless tie and with Armistice gone by I guess this month has seen its best days now except for dear Thanksgiving Day. Last thanksgiving I didn't ever dream that I'd be eating another turkey dinner on Okinawa but fate is so unkind to me. I don't think I'll eat any more out here so that is somewhat of a consolation. It won't be too long now until I get back to the states after this sojourn to the hinterlands of so called enchantment. Well so much for that. I don't want to build up my elation as I'll be going in circles for hours. The Notre Dame-Army was our greatest interest out here for the past few weeks. Betting was rampant and everyone was sure that he had a winner. If dear Notre Dame had won I'd have made a few shekels but since they tied no payments were made pro or con. I guess it's just as well. I listened to the game out here and it left me as limp as a kitten right up to the end. With a good break it was anybodies game but it ended satisfactorily although I wanted Notre Dame to win in the worst way. Now that the game is over I'll have to dig up a few more side interests to while away my unoccupied moments. I've read books until my eyes can almost pierce the cover and pick out the plots of the books that I haven't read. Sports are out of the question at present although I am keeping a half-hearted glance on our football team. I'm not playing the game just looking on and seeing what I can see and what I can do to help out. The exercise won't hurt me as I need to lose a few pounds here and there.

The mail situation out here is still pretty drab as planes are few and far between. I received a couple of letters from you a day or so ago but didn't get to answer them till now. I guess things are pretty dull back home and from the radio reports it's pretty expensive living too. I guess everyone who has anything to sell is trying to make a big killing now that everyone has a few bucks but it will get back to normal in time. Maybe the new election will bring about some changes now that the Republicans are in office once again. Seeing Tobin & David I. Walsh defeated really set me back a pace or two. I guess there isn't much to be done only see what they cook up and go along accordingly. You say that I must have a lot of ambition. Don't kid yourself. I'm just sitting out here getting fat soft and lazy. I wish they would send me to Florida for a few months commando work and then I think I'd feel a lot better. Maybe I'll even resort to digging ditches to get a callous or two. All play and no work is very dull & monotonous. 

The weather out here is getting cool and I guess we are in for a few months of winter. All the huts are being outfitted with oil stoves so with that as an indication winter is just around the corner. Back home Fall was the season that I liked best with everything seeming clean and fresh with the sky blue and clear. Well honey it's time for me to go to the salt mine and put in a few hours more to earn my money. I miss you an awful lot honey so help me I do. I keep thinking about you and us constantly.

I love you with all my heart and will always 

Always

John.

P.S. Here is a verse about the weather:

O suns and skies and clouds of June,
    And flowers of June together, 
Ye cannot rival for one hour 
    October bright blue weather.

                                                        Helen Hunt Jackson"








Wikipedia reports that:

"The 1946 Massachusetts general election was held on November 5, 1946, throughout MassachusettsPrimary elections took place on June 18.

At the federal level, Republican Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. was elected to the United States Senate over incumbent Senator David I. Walsh, and Republicans won nine of fourteen seats in the United States House of Representatives. Future President of the United States John F. Kennedy was elected to his first term in the House representing Massachusett's 11th district; he went on to beat Henry Cabot Lodge for Lodge's Senate seat in 1952.

In the race for Governor, Republican Lt. Governor Robert F. Bradford defeated incumbent Democrat Maurice Tobin. Overall, Republicans won five of the six elected state-wide offices. Only incumbent Democratic Auditor Thomas J. Buckley retained his office."





"17 November 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Here goes nothing at all. I am going to try to type out a fast letter to you but I'm afraid that it is going to take me about two hours to complete it. Someday I am going to take a course in typing that I'll be able to run off a letter in jig time to you without hunting and pecking my way all over this key board. Things are going along pretty fair out here but as I said in my letters before my sole ambition is to get home to you for a change. That will be the day that I've been looking forward to for many many months and I won't be able to realize it until it happens. I spent my afternoon watching a football game but all that it turned to be was a legalized brawl. After seeing the debacle I came to the conclusion that the officials should throw away the ball, have the quarterback call signals and then let the players go at it with their fists flying. They don't do it now but it adds up to the very same thing nevertheless. Our station team is taking shape out here slow but sure and it may materialize into something. The guys are still shaking out the kinks they developed doing some strenuous exercise. Most of them haven't done anything strenuous for a couple of years and after a couple of afternoons stretching and straining the old ointment really comes in handy. I'll give them a few more days of running around and then the kinks should be all gone. I am still avoiding the situation because I know that I'll eventually wind up in the outfit if I mess around for any length of time. I don't want to end up spavined (old crippled, lame) just as I'm going home as that would never do at all. Can you imagine me running around home on a pair of crutches or with my arm in a sling? I'm afraid my love making technique would be seriously disrupted until it healed up so I'm not going to do anything to put me in that situation at anytime for anybody.  Well let's gab about something different as I'm out of inspiration on the current topics in this region. The mail situation is still despairing out here as the planes just aren't coming in as they should. I don't blame you for the lack of mail as I usually wind up with some each time the plane does come in. You have been swell about writing to me all these months and if occasionally you do slip up and don't write for a few day who am I to complain. You have been really swell and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you have done to keep my spirits up to a reasonable degree of sanity in this God forsaken place. If I had you along with me it wouldn't seem too dismal but I don't think that you would like it at all once the glamor of the adventure wore off. Some of the women out here now don't have the same look now that they had when they first arrived to join their beloved husbands. It gets very monotonous for them when there is no place to go and nothing to do for diversion. It takes them about two weeks to make up for lost time then they get into the same rut with the rest of us which is really a rut. Well homey I've got to rush off now to peddle my beverages such as they are at the present time. I'll sign off now for a day or two when I'll write again. Please take good care of yourself as I'll be home soon and I want to see you in good health. I love you all my heart and I miss you terribly believe me.

All my love to you always

Always

John."







"22 November 1946

My very dearest Ellen,

Well the news you have been awaiting has finally come thru. You can stop writing as of now because I am on my way home not now but in a week or so. The orders came thru today that I could go stateside within about ten days. It caught me by surprise but I can stand it as surprises like that are easy to take,  especially by me. I had meant to write to you earlier this week but once again I am running around in great big circles once again. As of now I am the assistant coach of the football team and is it a mess of work for all concerned. It is really swell fooling around with a sport that I like so well with a group of guys that really go for the game as I once did and still do but from the sidelines this time. Deep down in my heart I always wanted to coach a football team and this job is right up my alley and I really enjoy it no end. The game has changed a lot since I played it last but it's still strictly a game of get up and go and keep on going. My only regret is that we didn't get organized a little earlier in the season and get into the conference that they had out there as I'm sure that we would have made a very favorable impression on all opponents that cared to face us. I shall discontinue this football chatter as of now because I have more important things to discuss. In the letter I received from you yesterday you mentioned the fact that Tom had set the date for the wedding, I presume, but since I hadn't heard anything about it I was caught unawares so to speak. I haven't heard from home for quite a while so I haven't been enlightened on the matter. To be truthful they haven't heard from me for quite awhile either so we are both at fault more or less. I certainly hope that I can be present for the occasion. I am kind of counting on it but it seems pretty remote from away out here but with the grace of God and the luck of the Irish I'll probably pull through if it is going to be held any length of time after Christmas which I am counting on. 

Well honey I had better come to a screeching halt about now as I have the late watch tonight and I need a couple of hours sleep as I'll miss out completely if I don't get it now. I miss you vey, very much but not for long. 

I love you with all my heart kid so take real good care of yourself until I get their.

All of my love to you

ALWAYS and ALWAYS

John"


































No comments:

Post a Comment