Monday, June 19, 2023

1946

 

As I am wrapping up 1946, I came across a list of songs that my father had sent to my mother  - he had asked her to try to obtain some of them for him - he also told her later to never mind. I can't remember posting this before so I am going to include it here.






I find the list interesting for a couple of reasons. The old record labels bring back memories of some of the LPs that my father had - Decca, Columbia, Victor - Decca produced a lot of Irish artists. Then there are the artists - Bing Crosby, Harry James, Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman - those names are all familiar to me. The songs themselves are less familiar but many are available on Youtube - I enjoy listening to them and sometimes I recognize the song when I hear them. 

The other thing I forgot was to insert the pictures that we have that my father sent from Okinawa - I'm going to include them here and go back and insert them where they belong. 


My father is sitting in the center - I don't know who the other two guys are but my father wrote  " 'Superman' me" on the back.




The back of this picture says Red Simmler and Ernie Cordova - my father is in the center. Good looking guys!







"A wreck among the ruins. This is a map mill here on the island and it's really flattened now. The C.B.s are using one section of it as truck repair shop."




"Okinawa - NAB Awase - Chief's Club - March 46

Kneeling -         Michelin

                          Manning

                          Malone

Rear -                Sproules                              and our glamour gal 

                          Puhl

                          Beagles

                          Maslanka

                          Dodd"


My father mentioned Puhl in a couple of letters.




"L. to R.

    Dodd            Acorn
    Miller           Acorn
    Puhle           Acorn
    Maslanka     Acorn
    ?
    Michelin       Acorn
    Malone         CCS
    Beagles        Acorn 
    Sproules       Acorn"




"Okinawa - NAB Awase March 1946

Front row    Malone J.T.         Chief Commissary Steward

                    Beagles A. L.     Av. Chief Metalsmith

Rear Row    Dood                  Av Chief Ordnanceman

                    Miller                 "        "    Ordnanceman

                    Puhl                    Av Chief Machinist Mate

                    Maslanka            Av Chief Metalsmith

                    ?

                    Michelin              Av Chief Ordnanceman

                    Sproules                "                "

                                

                                                                        Chiefs Club"



   









No comments:

Post a Comment