Sunday, December 17, 2023

1947 November 17 - December 9: A green horn arrives

 

"My very dearest darling Ellen,           17 November 1947 (note ?16)


Sunday is about gone and with it goes the weekend. It wasn't bad at all; just the way that I like it, short and sweet. I only wish that all of the weekends would pass as quickly and then my spare time would be at a minimum. I went to Mass as usual picked up the Pilot and lo and behold St Pat's won a ball game at long last. Very good for them and now that (they) have tasted victory may they stay on the winning path. After reading all day long I went to the show and saw some picture with Jimmy Durante and Ester Williams. Durante was the best of the whole cast but like everything else he didn't get much of a chance to peddle his wares. Ester Williams used up more footage swimming and showing everyone her teeth than Duarante did acting in the whole picture. She would be a good female double for Jack Smith, you know the guy who smiles when he sings because she smiles when she cries. I'm really getting bitter as far as movies go but seeing so many for so little I guess I think I'm an authority on them. Tomorrow besides starting a new work week brings around pay day also so once again I'll be comparatively wealthy temporarily anyway. I'm looking forward to Christmas when I shall be loading you down with a few gifts to show you how much I love and appreciate you which I do with all my heart and soul. I don't want or need anything except you personally and I will have to wait until I get home and then I can really celebrate Christmas with you. I sound funny but that is the way that it will have to be I guess. As for Christmas presents there isn't anything that I can use really so if you want to get me something save it until I get home and make it something that I can use when I get out. Is that all right with you? I have all the essentials down here and I can maneuver pretty well. Being with you is the only gift that I could possibly want and I'm working for that each and every single day. It is approaching a little nearer day by day. Now that my views are straightened out I'm going to fall back upon your letters without which I'd be completely lost. I want to thank you once again for your good efforts because I appreciate them very very much. As I was looking thru the Pilot I saw a picture of a barn dance in Watertown but it was down at St Theresa's. I thought of Rita and my shirt with its subsequent good luck, and also her letter of thanks. She is really a character honest but since she is having a good time everything is a bed of roses as it should be. I never in all of my wildest imagination expected such thanks and such just over a shirt. When I get home I'll have to wear it to see if it affects you as much as it does Rita's menfolk. Maybe I'll put it the other way around and see if (it) holds any enchanting charms with your body in it. Not that your anatomy needs a shirt to make it appealing to me but I'm trying to prove a point. Okay?


I am also slightly flabbergasted (?) at the way she spells the name Eileen. It's out of this world completely. If her teacher could have seen that I'm afraid she would quit but quick. Please don't get her a job as a secretary or stenographer because she would really lose money for someone. I guess your mother was right on wanting to make her a telephone operator, she wouldn't have to spell on that job. She'll learn in time I guess. She should be able to give Eileen plenty of tips after her sojourn this summer. They should come in really handy as she will know what she is in for in the months to come. Now that Nellie and Fred have returned from the beach I'll have to drop them a line to let them know that I am still alive and kicking. Fred after his all summer 'exile' will probably kick loose for a month now that he is back to civilization once again. After all of that time away from it all I don't blame him at all. I doubt if he will relish next summer rolling around but if he doesn't I most certainly will and the sooner it arrives the better I will like it. Has anyone heard from Aunt Hannah at all? I still don't know her address and if I don't send her a card for Christmas I will be completely disowned by both her and Stephen. Please send me her address and the correct spelling of her name because I don't want to misspell her name again because I firmly believe that although my intentions at Eastertime were honest and unintentional the misspelled name may have been taken as an insult that is if I know anything at all about Aunt Hannah and Stephen. Straighten me out please! That storm you had at home must have been something and now after all of the rain I guess that the forest fire menace is over for awhile. 


I followed the storm over the radio and in the papers and your accounts make it appear that it turned out as it was predicted. We have had very little rain down here although it is forever threatening but the rains just shower for a while and pass on to other parts. A torrential rain as you had would be a blessing for these people down here who would really appreciate it no end. It would have been a good night and day to spend in bed as there isn't much to do when it's raining like that. Why oh why can't I be around on a day like that. I'm just unlucky that's all but the future may be good to me and bless me with days like that, who can tell. Instead of keeping Hannie warm on these cold nights I wish that it was me that you were keeping warm. That could turn out to be one of your most important wifely duties. I'm going to give it a lot of consideration so don't be too surprised at the results. That would be a chore that I would really enjoy helping you to do. Time will tell so I'll wait for awhile. 


Now that the office is shorthanded you must be piled up with extra work especially as her nibs doesn't seem to want to cooperate by doing her share. Did you ask for a raise yet like you were going to do? Don't wait too long as it gives her time to make up excuses to forestall it. Speaking of excuses I'm going to sign off about now and hit the hay so that I'll be in good shape to go to work in the morning. I love you my dearest with all of my heart and soul and I miss you terribly so help me. Please take good care of yourself. 

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always and always

John xxx”






*******missing a page



My father mentioned a green horn in his previous letter and Eileen in this letter. Let's take a breather from my father's letters for a couple of minutes. A green horn is a newcomer to a country who is unacquainted with local manners and customs. If we turn the clocks back quite a bit, you might remember the Pierce sisters in the Kinsale area - Mary and Ellen. Mary Pierce married Jack Keohane in 1858 - their son Patrick Keohane, born in 1860, married Hannah Kiely in 1886 - Patrick and Hannah were my grandfather John Keohane's parents - John was born in 1889. After Hannah Kiely died in 1899, Patrick Keohane married Julia Murphy, and they had Judy Keohane in 1903. 

Meanwhile Mary's sister Ellen Pierce had married Patrick Cooney and they had young Patrick Cooney. Her husband died, and Ellen then married Patrick Hogan. Her son Patrick Cooney married and had his son Timothy Cooney. Lo and behold, this Timothy Cooney married our Judy Keohane in 1924! 

Timsy and Judy Cooney had a houseful of kids. One of them was Ellen/Eileen Cooney - I think she was the oldest girl. There was no opportunity for all those children in the Kinsale area so they were forced to emigrate. I found a passenger listing for Eileen. 

The SS Marine Marlin left Cobh on 24 October 1947 for New York - it arrived there on November 1, 1947. Line 28 lists Ellen Cooney - a 19 year old single domestic servant born in Kinsale. She is able to read English and is able to write. Her visa #QV.2302 was issued in Dublin on July 8, 1947. Her last permanent residence was Kinsale, Eire. 


Page 2 of this entry lists Ellen's closest relative as her father Timothy Cooney of Tissanon, Kinsale, Co. Cork. Her final destination is Massachusetts. She has a ticket to her final destination paid for by her aunt Nellie Albert. She has $50. She has not been in the United States before. She is joining her Aunt Nellie Albert at 182 Marlborough Street in Boston. She intends to reside permanently in the US and become an American citizen.



At this time Aunt Nellie was working for Mr Russell at 182 Marlborough Street in Boston - he also had a summer home in Falmouth as my father mentioned in his letters. She had married Freddie Albert less than a year before on December 15, 1946. Now she was bringing her niece out from Kinsale. I can't imagine that 19 year old Eileen Cooney could have lived for any length of time with Aunt Nellie and Freddie at Mr Russell's - I know that she lived with my mother's family at some point - that was probably why Hannie was sleeping with my mother - Eileen might have been sleeping with Rita. Their cousin Mae Keohane also lived off and on with my mother's family. I do admire my grandmother - she was welcoming to these relatives of her husband. 


My mother Ellen Keohane and Eileen Cooney on Green Street in Watertown



Early pictures of Eileen Cooney on Green Street in Watertown.




My mother, Ellen Keohane Manning, Eileen, and Hannie.

I don't know how long or how often Eileen stayed in Watertown - I'm sure she got a job as soon as possible. But she always remained an important member of my mother's family.   



"My very dearest darling Ellen,                          17 November 1947

Hello once again. After a little delay I wound up with two letters from you and it pulled me out of the blues completely. It was one of my happy moments the other being pay day earlier in the day. I'm flush once again but tomorrow I'll pay a visit to the bank to deposit most of it. My Christmas budget which has two pay days to go should be quite ample and I won't be cramped for money as I feared. I'll let you know later how I make out. 

All day long it's been raining like mad and although it's stopped now it is still threatening and when it will clear up is anyones guess. The whole station was flooded and since drainage is something that they don't believe in down here there is still plenty of water laying around, It's a blessing that it is a little cool and windy otherwise we would most certainly (be) plagued with mosquitoes and sundry other insects. At times they become unbearable and their passing is really a relief to all of us. Work continued as usual but I was kept a little busy what with transfers and discharges. At times it throws any schedules that I devise for a loop and I have to start from scratch once again. It presents a daily problem and finding a solution is always a little interesting and it does consume all the spare moments that I am unfortunate to have. All of my men keep coming and going and the turnover occurs so fast that by the time I get to know their names they are either discharged or transferred to some other shop or department or as late shipped out to sea. I also have a few minutes of delusion when I have to mother them. They are constantly getting in scrapes both aboard and while on liberty that are continually brought to my attention. Someday they will learn. The poor seaman isn't the only one who gets messed up. Saturday night one of the chiefs the fast stepping type got in a scrape at one of the honky-tonks. He was giving some married woman a play when her husband got mad. He stuck a knife in him, in the chief I mean, and was all set to parade around him but the chief got off the knife and got out of the area. He is all sewn up now. He is one of these characters that figure the women fall madly in love with him on sight. He also will learn his lesson as time goes by or die in the effort. Down here they don't believe in fisticuffs but use knifes and guns with reckless abandon. Every time you pick up the paper somebody is getting knifed or shot to death. That's all that is heard about it usually. It doesn't pay.

The guy who got caught stealing all the typewriters and adding machines is up now for a General Court Martial and its subsequent punishment. He will probably wind up with a couple of years in jail and a dishonorable discharge. The price of petty thievery really runs expensive around here.

About now I am listening to Arthur Godfrey and his Talent Show so if at times this letter takes a turn for the worse blame it on him. I just refilled this pen too and I'm hoping that it doesn't blot this paper. Speaking of Godfrey he has some good talent on the air tonight. Incidentally I picked him up on his morning program a couple of times last week. He is just as crazy on the morning show as he is at night so at times I think he is nuts. Both he and Henry Morgan are a brand of their own as far as humor is concerned and they are refreshingly different. Now that the program is over I can get back to the business at hand, writing a letter. 

I looked up my obligated service today and have added it all up to three hundred days so it isn't too bad at all. When I am home on leave in February I'll have only two hundred days to go so I'm going to attempt to see you every hundred days from now on in. The last time will be for keeps I can assure you. The holidays will break up the monotony of the rest of the year so it should be moving along at a good rate of speed. I'm hoping for the best and hoping that time doesn't delay. I guess I had better get around to your letters now before I keep mumbling along talking about nothing at all. Norman will never get out of the hospital at the rate that he is going. If he doesn't get out soon Hannie will go nuts over something to do and someplace to go. The rest will probably do her a lot of good and will keep her in the good graces of your mother who is probably glad to see her stay in once in awhile. I see that you have all of our monetary affairs taken care of down at the bank and that we are a month nearer to owning the house outright. Only a few more years to go my pet and there will be no more trips to take care of. The winter seems to be settling in as far as the thermometer goes now all that is needed is a little snow to make it complete. It will undoubtedly hold off until I get home and then it will come down by the foot just to give me the 'pleasure' of shoveling it. Lord forbid! Did Pete and Madeline only take a one week honeymoon? They will hardly get to know each other in that length of time. Going by car they will spend an awful lot of time driving and with the weather turning so cold it should be a rugged trip. Here's hoping that they have a good time because honeymoons end much too soon for everyone. Ours has years to go yet and I'm hoping that it never ends. Madeline is really decked out in jewelry with all of those diamonds in the ring and watch. In a dark room she should fairly glitter. With you married and Madeline married I was thinking that Rita O'Hara, poor soul, must be tearing her heart out. I don't know what brought her into this conversation but she did pop in somehow.

Rita seems to be a thorn in your mother's side with all of her escapades but she will grow out of them in time, I hope. She thinks of the weirdest things to do and to say, she really is a hot ticket there is no getting away from that. After she gets out of school no one will be able to hold her I guess as she will then in her own estimation be a woman of the world as most people figure after high school. The years have really rolled by since we got through school and I get a little sentimental when I recall how fast they went by and how the whole world changed. We will have to start from scratch when I'm free and set the whole world on fire.

I think I'll save the rest of your mail until tomorrow so I'll sign off for now. Please take care of yourself. I love you more and more each day and I miss you with all of my heart. I'll write to you again tomorrow night.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always and always

John xxx”











"My very dearest Ellen,                                      18 November 1947


Here is your poor battered husband once again madly in love with you as usual and missing you very very much. I really need you tonight because it has turned really cold down here and you would most certainly be a great help in keeping my bed warm. I guess we both have ideas running along the same lines but we seem to be at odd ends working it out. This time next year everything will be fine and we can take turns keeping each other warmed up. The more that I think about (it) the more I realize what a wonderful thing it will be just being together once again to stay always and I'll enjoy it so much that I'll never ever get fully accustomed to it I'm afraid. I'll spend the rest of my life just trying though. It's like being starved for years and then having the opportunity to eat anything on earth anytime for the rest of my life. What a treat! Well although I'm not too badly set back but I didn't get any mail from you today but it really should get here tomorrow. I still have one of your letters to answer but unfortunately this is my last sheet of paper so I can't write more than two pages tonight. Tomorrow I'll get another bundle of paper that will keep me all prepared to write until after Christmas. Well I'm continually losing my men and being training chief seems to be more of a name than a task. Last week I had to be guardian and semi nursemaid to twenty five guys but now discharges and transfers have cut the number almost in half down to fourteen in fact. If it keeps up I'll be a teacher without a class. I have one consolation, class or no class I'm still getting paid so that isn't bad at all. I spent all afternoon at class myself learning how to educate people so I'm learning and attempting to teach at the same time. The school that I am going to is quite a rage on the outside with businessmen and the like as it teaches trade psychology among other things. It's so dragged out down here that no one gets the least bit interested in it at all. The opportunities are plenty in this Navy but the manner of presentation is dull so interest lags in everything that is presented. Tonight I went to the show as is my Tuesday night habit and I saw a killer diller ~ Dick Tracy and Gruesome with Boris Karloff as Gruesome. What a flicker and what characters - Dr A Tonic and Professor I.M. Learned plus I. Stuffam the taxidermist. It was really something I assure you, and after seeing a few of these other shows it gave me just so much pleasure seeing the great man in action. I doubt if I'll go again until Friday or Saturday so the I can give myself a rest and learn to appreciate them once again. I'm going to save your letter until tomorrow night when I can write you a long letter once again. As for now I'm going to say so long until tomorrow night when I'll write once again. I miss you terribly honey and I love you with all of my heart. Please take care.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always and always

John xxx”












"22 November 1947


My very dearest Ellen,


I'm just going to write another 'quickie' as nothing much has occurred for me to write about. We had inspection this morning as scheduled and everything went along all right. Just after we broke up it started to rain and it kept up for the greater part of the day but it finally cleared off tonight. A cold wave is expected tonight so tomorrow should be really chilly. I went to the show tonight and saw Abbott and Costello plus Marjorie Main in a picture called 'The wistful widow of Wagon Gap.'  It wasn't bad for an Abbott Costello picture and it did have quite a few laughs. After the show I dropped down to the Chiefs Club and had two beers and came back here. I didn't feel them at all so I must be back to normal once again. I certainly hope so. I'll know tomorrow for sure so if I have a throbbing pounding headache you will hear me moaning and groaning about it in my letter. I promise you that I'll write a long letter tomorrow night for sure. Until tomorrow I'm going to close out for now. I love you and miss you with all of my heart. Please take care of yourself.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always and always

John xxx”









"My very dearest darling Ellen,                                 23 November 1947


Sunday night once again and my weekend is over and another work week begins. The weekend passed rapidly and I hardly noticed it to be truthful as I got a new room mate and we have been gabbing for the past couple of days. He comes from New York so he is from an area reasonably close to home so we have something to yap about. A training outfit is moving in from Pensacola and it will be here from now until next May or for a period of about six months. I guess I told you about them earlier so they finally have arrived. I imagine that it is a peaceful measure to appease these Texas politicians who are clamoring to keep some sort of activity here at Corpus until after the primary elections in the Spring and Summer.


The Navy will agree as best they can because they don't want to bite the hands that feed them. I guess I have resigned myself to my fate of being constantly attached to this base until I get out but I'll still keep my eyes and ears open for further developments and keep looking for a hometown break. It don't seem to be in the cards about now but who can tell what the future will bring to us so I'll keep waiting and hoping for the best to happen for us for a change. Who knows but maybe my luck will change as it can't be continually bad. It's been really chilly down here for the past few days but tomorrow will probably bring forth the heat and sunshine once again.


This week brings forth Thanksgiving Day when I'll call you up once again. It will be wonderful to talk to you once again because I miss (you) very very much. Monday will also bring me some mail which I have been without for it seems a year although it really has only been a matter of a few days.


This will be the final week of the month also and another month will have passed by and I'm that much nearer being with you. It won't be too long now honey so keep your chin up for a while longer. February is just around the corner and it will be here before either of us realize it. I'll begin sweating out the days soon and turn into a nervous wreck just before I get home to you. I have a tentative leave for the eighth of February so that is all set because I definitely want to be home for our anniversary in February. I'm looking forward to it very very much indeed. I went to the show tonight and saw Errol Flynn and Ida Lupino in 'Escape Me Never.' Once again Mr Flynn portrays the roguish unpredictable lover but all turned out well in the end fortunately but I'll never really understand why it did. It was a little different from most pictures now being shown so it was interesting indeed. I'll take a movie holiday now until Tuesday night when I shall venture forth once again. Incidentally at Mass today I picked up the Pilot but nothing about St Pat's could I find in it. Next week should bear fruit because according to the paper they were scheduled to meet St Columkille's so maybe my search will be rewarded once again. Well honey that seems to wrap this session of writing so I'll close out until tomorrow when I shall write again to you. I miss you terribly kid and I love you with all of my heart and soul. Until tomorrow please take care.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always 

John”











"My very dearest darling Ellen,                            24 November 1947


Wow! Today I was snowed under with mail as it arrived in a flood. All in all I wound up with six letters, one from my mother and the remaining five from you. I thank you from the bottom of my heart because they lifted me clear out of the dumps that the weekend caused. Before I go any farther I want to congratulate myself on the fact that I am an uncle. I don't know what I'm doing congratulating myself because I didn't do anything pro or con but merely a victim of circumstances is worth some sort of praise or good will. It all adds up to the fact that Edwina had her baby at long last and true to Manning tradition it turned out to be a boy. I can't imagine Tom's reactions to it all but I imagine the he is taking it all in his usual boorish stride. We are way behind kid but as long as this separation exists we have that much longer to wait and since it is your wish I'll comply to the best of my ability. How does that strike your fanciy pet? My mother's letter was long and newsy for a change the blessed event being the biggest news. I told her that I was going to send her a telegram congratulating her on being a mother but in her letter she shied me away from it. Like most of the older people she is very suspicious of telegrams and treats them as bad luck  and bearers of bad news. In order to keep peace in the family I didn't send any. I'll congratulate her personally when I get home as it will be much better that way. She told me also that Joe sold his junk heap to some guy for a couple of hundred dollars so in spite of its terrible condition he did amazingly well in getting rid of it at that premium price.


Joe's veteran's post holds a raffle each Saturday night and who won but my mother so everything is happening for her. It's about the only thing that she ever did win but now that her luck has taken a turn for the best here's hoping that it keeps up for a long time to come. Now that good luck is in the family for a change maybe I'll get a share of it down this way for a change. Here I am hoping for it with open arms. 


I guess Edwina gave them all a scare as she was roaming all over the place seemingly without a care in the world. She was at the football game Sunday afternoon and Sunday night she went in town. After returning from in town they had to rush her to the hospital and the baby was born Monday. This world is full of characters and Edwina is one of them I'm afraid. She is either strong as an ox or as dumb as one. I don't know which it is. Her trials and tribulations are just about beginning I'm afraid but since it's her worry I'm not going to give it any thought. Besides cleaning the house on Saturdays Tom will have the task of washing dirty diapers which I know he will relish. That is some thing I'll have to see when I get home once again in February. It should really be something. Speaking of babies I was very sorry to hear that Gin had such a tough time. As you said she has reached her limit and I don't blame her . She has worked too hard all these years and the strain must really sap her strength. There isn't too much of her and having a baby must really knock her for a loop. Having had three boys she has really performed her God given task of increasing the population. I hope that she has no severe after effects from it all. Now all we have to wait for is Annie and get a glimpse of her offspring. Peggy falling down stairs really must have given your mother quit a shock because after all these years and with Peggy after all of these months it would really have been torture to both of them if she had had a miscarriage. Since it all turned out all right we can ??? away results which I hope and pray will be the best there is. Paul will be a nervous wreck I'm afraid before he gets to be a father. What a hectic life these poor prospective fathers lead and the torture and trials they go through. I'm afraid my ensuing years will leave me bald frowned and nervous wracked but the joy of it all will no doubt be well worth it all. But as I said before I'll wait or I should say we will wait until I'm home definitely so that I can be with you through it all. With all of these boys being in vogue I'm afraid the style will change for us and our first will be a girl but nevertheless I'll be very very proud and completely happy. I still haven't reached any of your letters but I'll get to them tomorrow night. Tonight we have taken care of the baby situation pretty well so tomorrow night we will get to other pertinent matters. I want to thank you once again for all of your mail once again. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I miss you terribly, so very terribly indeed. Please take care of yourself. 

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always and always

John”











"My very dearest darling Ellen,                             26 November 1947


I'm looking forward quite anxiously to tomorrow Thanksgiving Day which will be another milestone passed as my final year of service rolls along. I've split it up into a million sections monthly weekly daily and by the holidays but no matter which way I turn I still have to wait for each and every passing day. They are moving right along and these holidays really pep them up and make them pass so much faster. The first of the year will be here soon and time will really be growing short. 


A request came out for men to go to Pensacola and I figure that I could have gone if I put in for it. Right now, despite the fact that I dislike it down here the move wouldn't be too advantageous so I didn't apply. Pensacola is mobbed with personnel and confusion reigns throughout that area so as long as things go well I'll stay put for the time being. I'm completely settled down here and I know how I stand so I'll stick it out until something better turns up namely Norfolk Va or Quonset Point where I can be within hailing distance of you. Don't be disappointed about it because better things should come along eventually. Today went along smoothly without any hitches or drawbacks and I'll all set to relax from the strain of doing nothing by reclining peacefully upon my bunk all day tomorrow. What a desperate life I lead! 


There are a a few football games on the radio tomorrow so I imagine that I'll spend the evening at the movies to round out the day. Tonight I have a bath so I've decided to write early to guarantee getting this letter off because constant interruptions would drive me nuts. Tomorrow afternoon I'll call you up and everything will be hunky-dory. I didn't get any mail from you today but Friday should bear fruit what with the holiday and all. I'm hoping so anyway but I still have quite a bundle to answer as yet so I'm not out of inspiration yet. That bundle I received Monday really snowed me under to say the least so slowly but surely I'll get around to answering them all. Last night I answered about one half of the first letter so I'll continue from when I left off if I can find my place.


Eileen seems to be the rage of the age now and with all of the attention and help everyone is giving her she must realize that she is in Heaven. She must be quite the girl with her brogue and old country mannerisms and wit. After the usual run of affairs the change is refreshing and heartwarming to hear her talk. I'll see her when I get home and I'm hoping that she hasn't turned completely American before I get home in a couple of months. Aunt Nellie is really wonderful to everyone isn't she. She is a prince or should I say princess. It's too bad that the world hasn't more like her. She will be a good guardian for Eileen until she gets on her feet. I hope that she has good luck in her new job and that it's to her liking. After her work in the old country it will be a snap for her and she can see how the hoi-poloi carry on. She is certainly giving Mae terrific competition for the affection and good graces of all the Aunts. With all of the practical jokes ad the shower of attention from all Mae must be fit to be tied and if they are together much longer Eileen will wind up in a fight whether she knows it or not. Eileen doesn't seem to pull any punches whatsoever and goes whole hog when she goes at Mae commenting on her big belly and such. Boy I'd love to be around to hear that and see the expression on Mae's face. She is so sensitive to it all especially her appearance. I guess Eileen will knock her off her high horse and let her know just exactly how she does look. I hope she and Mae are around so I can get a bird's eye view of it all. It must be really something to see and hear. I'd bust a gut attempting to suppress a burst of laughter. She must really keep the place in stitches. I hope that I can get on the right side of her as I wouldn't want any bottles filled with ice water at the foot of my bed especially on cold nights. I'll have to remember to put on the charm and finesse and swing her over to my side of things. Once you get back to sleeping alone once again don't get too accustomed to it because I'll be home soon and I don't want you going on another diet of aspirins so that you can sleep. I guess we will both be in the same boat though but I'll get accustomed to it in short order. One consolation though your bed is much more comfortable than this bunk that I'm sleeping on and if I don't sleep well the first few nights it will be due to the fact that it is too comfortable. I see your womanly trials and tribulations have caught up with you once again so I'm keeping my fingers crossed until my leave comes up in February. It will be my luck that I will arrive in a tie with the 'curse' but nevertheless it will be simply wonderful to see you and to be with you once again. I'm resigned to delays and frustrations so what is one more. I'll hope for the best and prepare myself for other eventualities. Well honey I have got to sign off and rush out to my watch as it's about that time I'm afraid. I miss you so very much honey and I love you with all of my heart and soul. Please take care.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always and always

John xxx”











"My very dearest darling Ellen,                             30 November 1947


Well I'll write this letter tonight without any interruptions whatsoever. Last night I had planned on writing another long letter but some guy invited me out to the Chiefs club for a few beers and my resistance being low I acquiesced when I returned I felt tired sleepy and quite logey so I closed out rather than get an otherwise good letter all jumbled up. I'll start out afresh tonight with another letter. I have been in a letter writing mood all day and so far I have written to my mother and also to Aunt Nellie so I'm all caught up once again and this makes the final issue of the day. I had to get up early to muster and immediately went to Church. For the rest of the day I lolled around doing nothing only writing and relaxing. It went by quite rapidly so I didn't mind it at all. This is the last letter that I'll write this month and I hope that in the November of the future I won't have to write to you again. 


This is definitely the last day of the month so it has passed us by at long last and after looking back upon it the time really rolled along at a good clip and I'm hoping that the next nine months do as well. We shall see what we shall see.


I wrote a couple of pages to Aunt Nellie and likewise to my mother and every line that I write to you I seem to be repeating myself so if I do please forgive me. I still have loads of your letters to answer so in the immediate future I'm going to knuckle down and get at them. But first I want to tell you that I miss you terribly and that I love you with all of my heart. I went to the show tonight and saw The Last Moment with Robert Cummings and Susan Heywood ? and although the previews gave it a weird and scary appearance it wasn't as eerie as I thought but it was really good and I enjoyed it a lot although I almost walked out a couple of times. I was glad that I lingered. Commencing tomorrow night we get a new show every night so we will have plenty of variety and plenty to choose from so I'll take my pick. Now that the movies are settled I had best get to your letters before I forget completely. Since you told me over the phone that Fred has a heart murmur I can't for the life of me understand how he gets along with all of the misfortune that comes in his direction. When I'm on leave I'll drop around to cheer him up and then maybe his heart murmur will quiet down. Once upon a time my brother Tom had a murmur but it doesn't seem to have affected him in the least. Poor Fred seems to be running into one stumbling block after another. Since he is so anxious to see me when I get (home) I won't disappoint him at all. Agreed? Mae seems to be having a lot of competition trying to stay in the god graces of Aunt Nellie and Aunt Hannah now that Eileen has arrived upon the scene. I guess when she told Mae that she was too short and fat to have a fur coat the reaction was the same as that night at Aunt Hannah's when I made my blundering remark on how a fur coat ages a person and only an old woman should wear one. I guess Eileen and I are now in the same boat but I'm glad there is someone around prodding Mae back to her senses. Mae must have a tremendously jealous nature so Eileen had better watch out. If she ever does wind up with a fur coat before Mae does Mae will retire completely from the scene. Good luck to the girl if she can make out so well as she wishes to and may all of her successes be unlimited. I am now reading over your letter of Sunday night which I received Friday and as soon as I give another going over I'll scribble on. 


In most of your letters you are just about to jump into bed as soon as you finish your letter and as always I only wish that I could be home to join you and we could jump into bed together. I'd be in a very very loving mood as I usually happen to be whenever I am with you. It will be realized soon my dear and by the time I get home I hope that you have overcome the 'frigid Bridget' complex completely. That will really be something to look forward to so I'll be straining at the leash of restraint waiting impatiently for my leave to come up. It really is rough going to bed alone and I dislike it intensely but I can bear it until I get home to you then I can get a reprieve from our enforced separation and the change will do us a world of good. I think I'll follow some of your examples by going to the library and checking out a few good books to while away my unoccupied moments. It's easier said than done though because the books they have are standard Navy library books which are old and so completely out of date that no entertainment can be derived from them. New books drift in occasionally but they are snapped up immediately by somebody or the other and they never seem to be returned to the shelves. Some day I'll succeed believe me or maybe it's that I am just plain lazy.


That cat seems to be creating a great deal of confusion but as yet he seems to be housebroken for your sake I hope that it is. Once they find a spot to sharpen their claws they can lead you in a merry chase as well I know. With no other animals around the kitten must really be the center of attraction for the kids around about but I'm afraid they will be catering to all of its whims and fancies and spoil him completely. If Jim takes him back Cynthia will knock all of the petting out of him. Incidentally how are the two young Keohanes these days? Kathleen should be getting quite big by now. By the time I get home she will probably be walking around as big as life. If we don't get started on a family of our own soon when we do wind up with a baby all of us will be creeping, one from inexperience and the two of us from old age but that's okay for the present we aren't quite that old yet. Norman seems to be having a hard time of it with all the comments and inquiries  about his sore spot. Now that he can't sit down I wonder why they didn't use rubber stitches so instead of breaking they would stretch  _ ha. Shoot me for that one! I'm getting silly in my early years, not only silly but corny besides. Fred's comment on Peg's condition was really a beaut wasn't it. I guess he means well and figures Peggy is still a kid which she is but life is life. Poor Stephen seems to be slightly henpecked but I have a faint suspicion that he likes to be fussed over. If we ever go to see them again I'll have to drop another bomb at his feet like the Boston Elevated the last time. Remember? That should really bring him out of his chair, I'll have to think up a good one to drop on him. Well I'm running out of paper and also time so I'll close for now until tomorrow. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I miss you so very very much my dearest. Please take care of yourself.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always

John xxx”










There are no letters for December 1947 except the following one for December 9th. I don't know if they are lost or what happened to them.




"My very dearest darling Ellen,                             9 December 1947


Ten days to go my sweet and I shall be once again residing in your abode for awhile and I'm getting more anxious as the hours pass by. The Wave that we have in the office left today on a thirty day leave but it's an emergency leave as her father is in a bad way. The time is good but the reasons are glum so regardless of what I may think I'll spend eight days of happiness with you and let her go her way sad though it may be. I'm listening to Red Skelton so if part of this don't make sense blame it on him. I didn't receive any mail from you today but tomorrow should bear fruit I hope so anyway because I have only one letter to answer and I'll take care of that tonight. The day zoomed by and I'm awaiting the passing of the next ten so that I can get a change of climate and scenery. I've been watching the weather reports concerning New England and so far they seem quite favorable and I'm hoping that they continue to be so after my arrival and all during my stay at home. It's been swell down here as far as weather is concerned and if this is as cold as it gets it won't be bad at all for the rest of my stay. It's too bad that it couldn't stay like this all of the time because it's really very comfortable if I do say so. We expected a cold streak but although it was cool this morning it warmed up and it's nice out now.  I went to the show tonight and saw the Mark of Zorro with Tyrone Power and it was pretty good for a change. I haven't been to the show since last Sunday night so I went tonight to break the monotony. I probably won't go again until the weekend rolls around unless a good picture presents itself. It also depends on how your mail arrives down here. Incidentally you can stop writing Tuesday night because I usually get your Tuesday letters on Friday if all goes well and the respite will do you good and will give you a chance to shake the writers cramp from your fingers. I'm looking over the pictures that you sent me of Annie's wedding and they came out quite good. Annie looks as happy as a lark. You look good but quite stern I must say but I'll help you smile when I get home. I used to pick up Don Ameche in that skit about the snoring husband but as of late I haven't been able to get it. It used to be on Sunday nights and it was pretty good and I liked it. Not being the snoring type I doubt if you will undergo such torture.  I hope so anyway. You can never really tell what the future holds in store for us. I can hardly wait to get together so that we can get into the future that we have both been longing for so very very much. I keep seeing February mentioned in your letter but I guess I'm one up on you by getting home for Christmas. Well honey I'm not in a letter writing mood tonight so I'll jump into bed and dream a dream of you. I love you with all of my heart and soul and I miss you so very terribly much.

All of my love to you

God Bless & keep you

Always and always

John xxx


P.S. I'm enclosing the pictures of Annie's wedding, the others I'll take home with me, okay?"












No comments:

Post a Comment