Monday, April 22, 2024

1952 February

The first February entry begins half way down the page. 





 
"Feb 5 - John Jr grabbed his toes today, or maybe I should say booties. He was laying on the bathinette making all kinds of noises, straining like mad, hanging onto a toe with each hand. First time he did that altho lately he seems to have more control of his hands - he always grabs my arm when I'm tying his shirt (with both hands). Also manages to get a hold of a handful of my hair when I'm holding him. He also holds a rattle and the little rubber dog Ma gave him for Xmas. He laughs a lot at Mary Ellen and seems to like her altho she treats him awful rough. She grabs the tail of his nightgown & wipes his face when he drinks - almost takes skin & all. She's always leaning all over him saying 'he de de de de' & 'hi Jim' & almost breaks his arm saying 'how do'. They get along swell now - hope it continues. 
My poor Mary Ellen hasn't been feeling good for a week. She's had a cold, wouldn't eat and was very pale & peaked looking. Took her to Dr Barron Monday night - he said she has a virus infection & a red throat - prescribed penicillin which she actually likes, even asks for more. She didn't really seem sick, just not her usual self so I was stunned when I found out what was wrong with her. She screamed of course when the doctor was examining her & kept pointing to the door saying 'car, car'. When he finished she looked around and noticed a couple of 'bow wows' on his desk. Very happy to leave.

Feb 5 - Mary Ellen pale and kind of fussy today - likes the penicillin which she calls 'ella'. She heard John say it smelled like vanilla & that's the closest she could come to it. She had me running around in circles for a while today. She grabbed a package of lamb chops out of the refrigerator when I opened it and a few minutes later I heard the toilet flushing & she came walking out of the bathroom saying 'meat, meat.' I ran in & found a piece of the wrapping paper floating on the top of the water. Naturally I thought she had thrown the meat down especially as she pointed to it & nodded her head when I asked her where the meat was. I fished my hand down the toilet madly & looked all over the bathroom only to find the chops reposing peacefully on the kitchen table when I came out. Hmmmm.
Baby is holding his hands and reaching for everything - can almost
turn over & tries to lift his head - goes to sleep holding on to a bar of the crib or the top of the bathinette wherever he happens to be. 

Feb 6 - Put John Jr in the play pen for the first time today. He seemed to like it & stayed there till he got sleepy. When I opened it out Mary Ellen had to get in it of course. Put a pillow under her head & she layed down & read a book for herself. John Jr was in his crib so we all had a peaceful half hour."








"Feb 7 - Mary Ellen is much better today - seems to be over her virus infection. Tonight John & I were sitting in the kitchen when all of a sudden I heard my music box begin to play. When I dashed in to the bedroom there was Mary Ellen standing up on my suitcase holding the cover of the music box & looking quite pleased with herself. She also picked up my hand mirror & looked at herself saying 'pretty, pretty.' She turns on the television looking for 'muke' (music) & starts singing 'de de de de de.'
John Jr weighed 17 1/4 today - what a buster. He smiles at anyone that looks at him. This morning he woke up crying & when I went over to the crib he smelled - quick change. 
When I made out my shopping list tonight. Mary Ellen had her pencil making out her list - followed me in the pantry, looked over all the shelves, even scratched her head with the pencil when she saw me running the pencil thru my hair. I really have to be careful now as she tries to do everything I do. John can't even take the kettle off the stove without her running to the bathroom saying 'bath-shave'. She likes to watch him & have him dot her with shaving cream and when she sees him with a kettle of hot water its a mad dash for the bathroom - even when he's only getting himself a cup of tea. 

Feb 10. Mary Ellen & I took a walk down to church this afternoon - first time she's been out for ages. Dropped in at Rady's afterwards - saw Rita's new baby.
Went to the show tonight to celebrate our fifth anniversary which was yesterday (John gave me a two pound box of chocolates). Ma, Rita & Dickie were the baby-sitters - guess the babies kept them busy all night. I had my coat on & was at the back door ready to go when Mary Ellen started yelling for more baw baw (sp? bottle). When I gave her that she started yelling about her 'dipe' so I had to stop & change her. Thought I'd never get out.

Feb 11 - Rain.

Feb 12 - Cold! Baby like a bear all night. 

Feb (?13) Still cold! Baby sleeping since 6:30 tonight. John had to leave early for work - car won't start so he had to go by street car. 
Mary Ellen very good lately - she's so interested in books lately she spends most of the time looking at them. Very helpful for me - keeps her quiet & occupied ...


I found this Valentine's card for my mother.
"For My Wife on Valentine's Day"


"Happy Valentine's Day With All My Love
Life wouldn't be complete for me
Without your love and you,
Days wouldn't be so happy,
Skies wouldn't be so blue,
My dreams would have no meaning
without you to share them, Dear,
Because I love you more each day
And need you more each year.
Daddy"

The verse on the card reminds me of the letters that my father used to write to my mother when he was in the Navy.



"Dad
We're not going to the shoe store today.
Ma gone down the street.
I gone to the dentist's. 
Johnny had to stay after till 4:30.
Mimi"

I must have written that note on the back of this Valentine's card a lot later than 1952!!


"Feb 25 - Mary Ellen was sick with a sore throat again last week. If this winter ever reaches an end I'll be so happy - it seems as tho poor Mimi has had one thing after another all winter. The baby has been good thank goodness & hasn't had any colds since November. He's getting awfully big & very active - kicks & squirms & jumps like mad when we hold him. I said he's like a swimmer doing the breast stroke - he kicks against our lap& practically jumps up in the air & at the same time flings both hands out to the side. Laughs like mad. He blows bubbles now when he's talking to himself & Sat (Feb 25) he put his toe in his mouth for the first time. He's always grabbing his toes & pulling his booties off. We hear him groaning & straining & sure enough there he is hanging on to his toes for all he's worth.
Mary Ellen has been very good except for all her sickness. She spends a lot of time looking at books (especially Tugsie the Boat), writing, playing with her babies & her meekies (pennies). She calls us Ellen & John now more than Mummy & Daddy and it's ceasing to be funny. She loves the baby but is rather on the rough side & gives him an awful mauling. He likes it tho & notices her a lot - laughs & goos at her etc. 















No comments:

Post a Comment